2011 CX-7 i Touring Transmission Fluid Jet Black?!?!?!?!?

Aeriojunkie

:
2011 Mazda CX-7i Touring
I was getting ready to go on vacation a couple of weeks ago and took my 2011 CX-7 in for the 30,000 mile oil change and tire rotation before we hit the road for the 1800+ mile round trip to Florida. I dropped it off and went back to work half a day before hitting the road. About 1 1/2 hours later the dealership called and told me that the auto transmission fluid was BLACK and needed to be changed. I was hesitant, since it only had about 29,500 miles on it, but I was worried about going on the long road trip and having something happen along the way. After some serious thinking, I decided to let them go ahead and do it (as more of an insurance policy for the trip) rather than waiting a while and really checking it out myself. They gave me a 10% discount on the oil change, tire rotation, and air filter along with the fluid flush. Total bill was $245 after the discount and taxes.

My question for you guys is has anyone else had a problem with their fluid being black this early? I have owned it for right at one year now, and have put just over 32,000 miles on it driving 90% highway miles at 75-80 MPH with the cruise control on. Not harsh driving conditions to say the least. It really bothers me that the fluid was so dark. They saved some for me and it was definitely jet black. They had no answer for me as to why it was so black already. The only thing that they could tell me was that they couldn't see anything in it like metal shavings and that it didn't smell burnt. Also, there were no trouble codes for anything in the car at all. I hadn't noticed any issues with driveability either?

Any input from you guys would be greatly appreciated!

I had similar questions about my Mazda5 2.5 with 5AT needing a fluid change under 20k miles. Apparently it's a common thing with the powertrain, which is shared among the Mazda3, Mazda5, Mazda6, and CX-7i. Turns dark early, so change it more frequently than you would anticipate needing to do so.

My 07 CX7 was nice and red and no burnt smell at 30,000 miles when I changed it. I now have 25,000 more miles on the refill and it to is a nice red. Any chance the shop was just looking to enhance their profits?

My 07 CX7 was nice and red and no burnt smell at 30,000 miles when I changed it. I now have 25,000 more miles on the refill and it to is a nice red. Any chance the shop was just looking to enhance their profits? I have not read that the Mazda ATs have any issues with reguard to fluid service life. Ed

i dont have my manual in front of me but Alldata doesnt show a service interval for that vehicle. Transmission fluid will turn a different color than the original so dont worry about that. If there is no service interval, i wouldnt of touched it so soon b/c of the color and being there was no burnt smell or metal which would of warranted a transmission replacement under your warranty.

The 5AT & 6AT are both Aisin transmissions and I was told that it is the same transmission except for different gearing. beardog 420 make a good point with respect to warranty issues. Ed

Back