2002 Protege 5 will not start....might be relay?

Protege5red

:
2002 Protege 5
Hi everyone,

New to the forum. I've had my PR5 for 10 years, and up until now its been perfect.

It wouldnt start, towed to mechanic and had the starter replaced 3 weeks ago.
Saturday it was clicking when trying to start, power to radio/lights etc, but no ignition.

I removed the relay, and put right back in, thinking it just got stuck. Started up, several times without problem.
Did the same thing again yesterday, this time took a picture. Got it to start after reinstalling relay and 30 minutes of waiting. Started again this morning, no prob.
IMG_20120401_174410.jpg

So my question is, have any of you had the same issue? I am not sure if it is the relay or the connector. And if it is the connector/box how would I go about repair? Replacing the whole thing? Just the wiring harness beneath? I am a girl, and don't want to go into a shop blind about the issue, and be taken advantage of, even though I know my fair share about car repairs, electrical is not my stong suit.

Thanks!!

also if you are still having problems it might be a bad ground
but you probably need a new relay

welcome to the forums
what part of Texas are you from? I'm an hour east of Dallas but my hometown is in central Texas?

I'm in FTW.

Any ideas on how much that kind of thing costs to repair? The relay is about 80 bucks, but if its the connection...or the ground. Any ideas? I have researched this extensively online but havent found much.

If you're dealing with the same relay as posted in the picture, (fuel pump relay) then it looks like Rockauto has them.
The numbers appear the same too.

Check the pictures of the relays, they're not all the same, the pin configurations are different.

The fuel pump relay (at least on my P5) looks like this.

Just FYI to close the loop, it was a faulty connection to my clutch safety switch after the clutch was replaced - in case someone runs into the same issue.

Back