CP Racing Trunk Brace

hornsfan10609

Certified Mazda Tech
:
2003.5 Mazdaspeed Protege x2
I got a good deal on a CP Racing 4 pt. shock tower/trunk brace and I was going to install it soon. I am looking for some installation instructions and just any information on CP Racing and this brace in particular. I have found pictures of the brace uninstalled but not actually in a Protege, apparently CP Racing is no longer around and a lot of the information on their parts went with it.
What I do know is the trunk brace was about $125 new and they came in blue and silver PC, (luckily mine is silver).
So basically are there any older members still around from the early days that remember or even had/have a CP racing trunk brace that has or can locate a pic of it installed?

It's just one brace, I know how it mounts I just wanted some input from someone that has it or has even seen it installed. It's weird there hasn't been any discussion on CP racing in several years.

This is what it looks like, the cross bar bolts to the shock (really strut) towers and the bottom feet bolt to the floor. It's supposed to clear the factory sub setup.
ae9ab92a.jpg

I suppose it's pretty self explanatory. I just have to be very careful to align it properly before I drill any holes.
Here it is set into place the best it will fit, with the trunk panels and carpeting removed.
f2e83ea3.jpg

8332e3f6.jpg

You are just supposed to drill through the fender well, and bolt it down behind the strut? That is some pretty thin metal that doesn't provide a lot of structural support right?

I was under the impression that to be of any real use, you need to tie the struts together. This is how it is done on the fronts. I don't think you could do it cleanly on the rears without tossing the rear deck, which is probably the reason you don't see too many people do it.

Keep us in the loop in how it turns out.

You are just supposed to drill through the fender well, and bolt it down behind the strut? That is some pretty thin metal that doesn't provide a lot of structural support right?

I was under the impression that to be of any real use, you need to tie the struts together. This is how it is done on the fronts. I don't think you could do it cleanly on the rears without tossing the rear deck, which is probably the reason you don't see too many people do it.

Keep us in the loop in how it turns out.
The steel is doubled up there on the walls of the strut towers. It will definitely provide some support. I think people don't have them because the company was very hard to order from and went out of business around 2006.

once you mount it can you measure how far from the floor the cross bar is? i may make my own.

I haven't installed it yet I will when I have a day off some time, there is room underneath for hardware in front of the spare tire well and behind the fuel tank.

When you do have it installed, please put up a review. I am looking to do something like this for my P5. (will probably have to fabricate it myself)

Thanks!

I had one of these in my msp for a few years. I loved it. Then I hit a deer. Screw those a holes! Anyway, mine is blue and I still have it if anyone is interested in it? It does me no good taking up shelf space!

I had one of these in my msp for a few years. I loved it. Then I hit a deer. Screw those a holes! Anyway, mine is blue and I still have it if anyone is interested in it? It does me no good taking up shelf space!

Hhow much are you looking for it?

Latest posts

Back