Chef's 1994 MX6 build thread

:
2009 Mazda3 hatchback, 1994 Mx-6 w/ a turbo, 1993 Mazda 929
Not going to take credit for building this car. It belonged to a good friend and fellow admin on mx6.com for many years. He offered to sell her to me and I jumped at the opportunity. The following thread will be getting her back on the street (she was sitting for a while and needs some maintenance) and modifying her further to how I see fit. She will be completely function based. Not like my 3.

Specs are as follows. I might be missing some things since this car has a lot of mods.

Turbo KLDE - came with a blown garrett super60 but I am swapping to a .63 trim t3/t4 that he gave me with the car.
Water to air intercooler setup - There was a working one on the car but I am running the lines through the cabin this time around. Reservoir in the trunk and a big radiator up front.
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Vortec FMU - Forget if it is 10:1 or 12:1
Adjustable fuel pressure regulator
Gutted intake manifold - all vris removed and the top was cut off by King6 fabrications and the internal baffles were smoothed over.
Removed the air conditioning unit completely including the parts under the dash. This freed up a hole in the firewall to run the intercooler lines through nicely. Also saved maybe 25 pounds of weight and rotational mass on the accessory belt.
Outlaw 4 piston big brakes with 13" cross drilled rotors
Ksport coilovers - I will be lowering it just enough to remove the wheel gap.
Kosei K1 16x7.5 +32 (I think) wheels. They weigh like 14 pounds a piece and will be staying on the car.
I forget what size tires. Maybe 225 wide but not sure. They're pretty meaty though.

Pics! In chronological order.

Coming home from Brooklyn. Talk about a crazy ass drive with a uhaul and car trailer.

002.jpg

First engine bay shot.

001.jpg

003.jpg

005.jpg

008.jpg

Getting started! Had to replace some fuel lines so the manifold came off.

3-15-12004.jpg

Replaced the lines and removed the AC.

004.jpg

LOTS OF SPACE!

005-1.jpg

006.jpg

Hole for intercooler lines.

003-1.jpg

Under dash.

011.jpg

"Interior" currently removed for cleaning and ease of installing new parts.

009.jpg

010.jpg

Trunk layout mocked up. Need to make a floor to mount the battery and liquid reservoir onto. Also going to mount the pump in the spare tire well so gravity helps feed it.

012.jpg

And a more current engine bay shot. I have since moved the fmu toward the afpr by about 6 inches and connected the fuel lines and all the vacuum lines on the manifold.

001-2.jpg

I am currently waiting for my new radiator to arrive for the intercooler setup. Probably going to run a silicone 45 degree elbow between the turbo and the intercooler and have a friend of mine weld a bung onto the angled part of the intercooler (below the weld where the core starts) for the blow off valve.

I have plans for race seats and a cage/roll bar eventually too. Not as stripped as my old one or Mike's though.

Yeah it takes up half of the space the old air conditioning condenser used up so it leaves me room to mount an oil cooler between the opsu and turbo feed for cooler oil through the turbo. Not sure if I will get one quite as big as this for an oil cooler though. I'll get pictures up soon.

Nope. The PO had one installed but it didn't agree with the gear box and basically destroyed it. He put a new probe gt trans on instead.

I would love an lsd but I want to get it on the road first. I am under the impression that msp welded lsds will fit this trans but I am not 100%.

welded diffs would make for very difficult turning am i wrong...?

and i only say this beacuse 300whp may not agree well with only one wheel having power.... i hope youre a strong guy

That is the one..I think you have to buy the bolt kit for it too, but I could be wrong on that one.

Nope. The PO had one installed but it didn't agree with the gear box and basically destroyed it. He put a new probe gt trans on instead.

I would love an lsd but I want to get it on the road first. I am under the impression that msp welded lsds will fit this trans but I am not 100%.

Is it a GM-15R transmission?? if yes-the lsd will work.

The PO had a phantom grip LSD installed and he said it worked perfectly until the trans blew after 50k boosted miles. The mfactory one looks nice too but the phantom grip is cheaper. Of course it will have time in a shop so it's hard to say which would be cheaper in the long run.

Another mockup of how the bay will look when it is all together.

001-3.jpg

Here's the new radiator for the water to air setup. Need to fab up some brackets and get the hoses in place.

004-1.jpg

Back