Coming soon.... my diesel

If they want to be successful they need to price it right. I'm looking at new Ford Escape pricing scheme...1.6 to 2.0 engine upgrade costs $1000, i-stop $295... it will be a worthy competition...hehe..once they start throwing in $1,500-$2,000 rebates

Australia and the US are energy hungry countries. We're the two most wasteful nations on earth per capita with regards to refuse and water (and also very high up list for emissions per capita).

If we had fuel costs of Europe, or were as progressive ecologically as Europen nations, then diesels would have been common years ago.
CO2 emission wise, the diesels are better than the petrols (comparable pollution though).

In the UK, drivers get charged related to emissions:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/OwningAVehicle/HowToTaxYourVehicle/DG_10012524

The small diesel gets a tiny 20.00 registration fee - where as the petrol gets punished for higher emissions.

I got this reply when I asked @mazdacanada on twitter today: "working on it! Hope to have an "official" date for #SkyActiv Diesel soon!". For what it's worth.

But I understand that they won't confirm anything to risk sales of the current models.

On my daily commute down I-80, I see many Jetta TDI sedans and wagons. It's a shame that Mazda is not willing to test the market with their far superior 175hp Skyactiv D, especially given VW's less than stellar consumer ratings. A possible sales strategy would be to offer it only at certain dealerships much like they do the Mazdaspeed cars here in the US. True, the majority of CX-5 sales would undoubtedly be 'G', but as with Mazdaspeed buyers, there are always those enlightened souls who would be willing to drive a few miles to experience true driving passion. And Mazda, if you are eavesdropping, you can have my idea, no strings attached.(wow)

On my daily commute down I-80, I see many Jetta TDI sedans and wagons.

I still think VW thinks the same regarding diesels as Mazda when it comes to the US.

Case and point would be Golf GTD (the diesel GTI) and the Tiguan TDI. They're both German produced, but I don't think either hit the US market. They are however exported to nearly every other advanced economy selling VW's.

I think the reason the Jetta is not overlooked is production location.

US Jetta's are produced in Tennessee and Mexico. I suppose there are trade agreements with Mexico that would mean TDI Jetta's would be an easy (and possibly encouraged) import for VW.

Last edited:
We were leaning heavily to getting the VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, but the smaller size was a concern because we have two ever-growing pre-teens. The CX-5 was the best choice when combining space, comfort, room for the dog, mileage, features, looks and sportiness. I wish Mazda offered the Diesel option in the U.S. That would have been at the top of our list.

I also think it would sell well however, the nearest competitor with diesel engines, the VW Tiguan is also not available with a diesel engine over here. Maybe they wanted to see how the CX-5 sells over here before taking the jump with the diesel, or they prefer to bring the Mazda6 with it since there are competitors with it (VW Passat).

I was told by a VW dealer two years ago that there would be no diesel Tiguan in Canada before its next redesign as the current engines could not meet California emissions requirements without ad-blue - and there was no place to put the resevoir. I was also told (at the Ottawa Auto Show last month) by VW that the Tiguan diesel would be available for preorder the fall of 2013 and by a Mazda report that the CX-5 diesel would be available at the same time.

What's that information worth?

We were leaning heavily to getting the VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI, but the smaller size was a concern because we have two ever-growing pre-teens. The CX-5 was the best choice when combining space, comfort, room for the dog, mileage, features, looks and sportiness. I wish Mazda offered the Diesel option in the U.S. That would have been at the top of our list.

I considered VW and BMW Diesel options. The X1 though is so much smaller than the CX-5 (not too much larger than the Mazda 3 I was coming from). I considered the Passat Diesel as well. I compared quite well. But driving the CX-5 now, glad we chose it.

ould be no diesel Tiguan in Canada before its next redesign as the current engines could not meet California emissions requirements without ad-blue

What are the Californian emissions like for diesels?

The CX-5 Diesel not only exceeds the tough current European standards, but also exceeds the future European standards set for vehicles manufactured post 2015.
How can current Californian standards be getting in the way of the CX-5?

Mazda says that the Skyactiv D meets all US standards without costly additives like Mercedes is forced to use (German engineering you know). It is cleaner than the Golf, Jetta and Toureg diesels that are legal in California. I don't think CA emissions are the issue. I think it's as others have said, that there is a perception by most American consumers that diesels are dirty and noisy. Previous to my vacation in Ireland, where I got to experience the genius of Rudolf Diesel on my 10 day drive around the country, I felt the same way. I couldn't imagine ever wanting to own one especially since my local gas station is selling diesel for 20 cents a gallon more than 87 octane. Then I saw the light. It's all about those 320 pound/feet of torque and that purring sound coming from the engine when your moving down the highway at 65 mph and your engine is turning over 2000 rpm. You get the feeling that the engine is not even working hard.

I have followed behind Dodge and Ford diesel trucks that are stinky and loud. Often these drivers leave the engines running while they get out of their trucks and unload something or stand chatting while people nearby have to listen and smell their manhood. I don't blame people for the negative feelings that these old school engines evoke. It just doesn't have to be this way. The fact that our legislatures tax diesel fuel more than gas is the only reason that it costs more. In Ireland it was 10 cents per liter less than gas. Inodes, how do the prices per liter in Australia compare for gas and diesel?

Thanks

As an aside, Rudolf Diesel designed his engine to run on peanut oil so that farmers could grow their own fuel to run their tractors and farm equipment. He died mysteriously while crossing the English channel at the age of 55. Shortly after his death, the petroleum industry took over the manufacture of diesel fuel. I read that one of his original engines is still running at a museum somewhere.

Last edited:
I think it's as others have said, that there is a perception by most American consumers that diesels are dirty and noisy.

Japan and the US are identical in this perception!

I was in Japan in December and January just prior to the CX-5 launch. I was considering visiting Mazda in Hiroshima to get up to date information, or go to the Fukuoka Car Show to see it in the flesh, but instead decided to go skiing in Nagano and get married.

But I did get a bombardment of CX-5 information on Japanese TV and media regarding the product (thankfully my wife translates the difficult stuff for me).

Two important points were made in Japanese media reports:

* Japan diesel usage is 1%, with most diesels being commercial
* Japanese perceive diesel to be noisy and dirty

The story is identical to the US....

BUT... Mazda Japan changed their tactic to deal with perception.

They said clearly:

* We know potential of the CX-5 Diesel
* We will provide to the public their perception is wrong

To cater these points, all the major TV stations ran specials where famous TV reporters were all driven around Hiroshima in both petrol and diesel models, and various demonstrations with white towels over the exhaust were done to show there was no carbon soot.

It worked....

They estimated the take up of diesels to be 10% of all domestic sales in Japan, or a total of 1000 units - or 100 Diesels.

Instead, in the first month they sold:

* 5840 Diesels (A massive 58 times the amount expected)
* 2160 Petrols (A conservative 2 times the amount expected)

Nevertheless, sales records were broken and possibly Japan had to steal from supplies that would have otherwise gone elsewhere (easy when you're in control of all production and exports).

All Mazda's worldwide (including North America) were given access to test petrol and diesel models well before decisions regarding units were discussed.
After this, all markets (except North America) have made a decision to sell the diesel.

It's fairly easy for the US to prepare their customers with media announcements in a similar way to the media releases I watched that must have gone someway to breaking the Japanese perception and creating the whopping 58 times record sales in Japan domestically.

Last edited:
Inodes,

Out of curiosity, do you have access to a PDF version of the owner's manual from your side of the world, with diesel and features available in your market ?

Here owner's manual are available as PDF without registration on Mazda's US website (the Canadian paper version of the manual is the same except bilingual) but I haven't been able to find the same for diesel spec models.

Last edited:
Inodes,

Out of curiosity, do you have access to a PDF version of the owner's manual from your side of the world, with diesel and features available in your market ?

Here owner's manual are available as PDF without registration on Mazda's US website (the Canadian paper version of the manual is the same except bilingual) but I haven't been able to find the same for diesel spec models.

I tried.... but unfortunately don't think they post the manuals online. I could however said a request off the Mazda Australia. Being an owner, I can't see why they would say no.

Australia and the US are energy hungry countries. We're the two most wasteful nations on earth per capita with regards to refuse and water (and also very high up list for emissions

Inodes,

Does your owner's manual prohibit the use of biodiesel? I am curious after watching the movie "Fuel" from Netflix. I show this movie in my 'Frontiers of Science' class.

Inodes,

Does your owner's manual prohibit the use of biodiesel? I am curious after watching the movie "Fuel" from Netflix. I show this movie in my 'Frontiers of Science' class.

The specifications for Australia are strictly the use of EN590 specified Diesel:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EN_590

Diesel sold in Australia has also been modified to have very low sulphur amounts in line with this standard.

Found an interesting article which shows Nissan skipping diesel for the US as well, and a simple paragraph explaining why:
http://blog.caranddriver.com/nissan-working-on-a-plug-in-hybrid-but-still-iffy-on-diesel-in-u-s/

“Diesel is an open question. In the U.S., diesel is very limited,” Loing said. Because of fuel cost and availability, as well as government regulations, “the case is more difficult here.” Still, he said, “I’m ready to look at it.”

Even more comprehensive:
http://www.practicalenvironmentalist.com/automobiles/subaru-diesel-cars-usa.htm
And
http://www.practicalenvironmentalist.com/automobiles/2012-usa-diesel-cars.htm

Last edited:
Back