Backup Camera Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
We just bought a 2012 CX9 GT with the nav system with the backup camera. On our multiple test drives of different CX9's at different dealerships we noticed that some backup units have the green,yellow and red lines indicating how far away something is. On the car we bought we don't have these lines. I called the service department and inquired. They stated that they have seen both some cars with the lines on the screen and some without. My question to them and this forum, is there the possibility to do a software upgrade to have the lines appear on the screen? My wife likes the feature and of course I want a happy wife! (flash) The dealerships service department said that they aren't aware of any updates.

thanks

Scott

According to others here, the newer 2012 models no longer have the guidance lines due to
flood in Tailand (Mazda sources another vendor). Not sure if this is true. So I heard.
Older models do not have those lines either.

I've been driving for 27 years. I've never had a car with a backup camera, and I've never backed into anything. What am I doing wrong? :)

If you can you also reliably put your bumper within 1" of an object without making contact, I'd say you don't need one. To those of us lesser drivers, they can come in handy.

I've been driving for 27 years. I've never had a car with a backup camera, and I've never backed into anything. What am I doing wrong? :)

Lol. For real. I could do without it myself. I would rather have sensors. IMHO, if you NEED a camera to back up, your seeing eye dog should be driving.

So just a regular hearing dog can drive if you use backup sensors, lol. Anything that helps you drive safe in forward or reverse is good in my book. To the OP, once you get used to the distance reference you see from the camera you will not need the lines. Enjoy your new vehicle, they are just a great vehicle to drive.

My '10 touring has those lines:

Mazda_CX9_Touring_Stereo_Back_Up_Camera.jpg

The '11 GT has them:
2011_Mazda_CX9_GT_Navigation_Back_Up_Camera.jpg

Perhaps the camera from an older model can be swapped in?

I don't think it is just the camera alone.
The lines change as the steering angle changes (which is the whole point).
i.e. there must be steering angle input to draw these lines properly.
I am guessing the MID (multi-info display) unit is different in '12 model.

I don't think it is just the camera alone.
The lines change as the steering angle changes (which is the whole point).
i.e. there must be steering angle input to draw these lines properly.
I am guessing the MID (multi-info display) unit is different in '12 model.

Mine is 2011'GT. and it does shows the line. what it does not do is adjusting the lines depending the steering angle. I notice that when I test Drive a Mercedez and few others, definitively not on any of the CX9 I try before buy from different dealers.

Which model is having the lines adjusted by the steering angle?

Mine don't change with steering angle either. Apparently in the Mazda, these are fixed with respect to the dimensions of the car as projected to the straight-back view.

Narley, I've been driving for 40 years. Bikes, ragtops, sedans, vans and PUC commercial trucks on delivery routes. No accidents. While I get your humor, and your point that cameras don't make a good driver, on this vehicle they are a useful tool to help keep you accident free.

I would never have bought the CX-9 without the backup camera. If only to see small kids, small cars and other low objects that are hopelessly hidden from view. Or to see behind me at night. Or for my wife and teen who are more vertically challenged than I am. In fact, I wish it could be on all the time while driving, to supplement the rearview mirror.

However, I would warn any CX-9 driver not to get too comfortable with the rearview video image, or to rely on it alone. It is greatly distorted due to the wide angle lens, which Mazda foolishly placed off-center.

Oh - and I have to
icon_rolleyes.gif
every time I see the large white "safety" message, permanently superimposed over the area I am trying to see.

i noticed this the other day with the dealer loaner, had no lines. i think it was a 2012. my 2011 has the lines though, and they are handy to have, i much prefer them to without.

Is it that only the GT models or the Nav system has the bars?

I have the 2012 Touring and no Nav. No bars.

If the lines do not change with steering angle, they are rather useless... to me.

That's a little short-sighted. The lines still provide some indication of the dimensions of the vehicle, with some margin. Whether or not they turn with steering angle, they remain useful.

Last edited:
Beg to differ here.
I have side mirrors for that.

I have to disagree. Why would anyone want to just guess where the rear of the car is?

I have been driving even longer than you have and this is the first car I've had with a backup camera. I wouldn't own another without one. As Weeks1 points out the camera allows you to back up to within an inch or two of an object without touching it. The lines on the screen (mine has them 2010 model) are accurate enough indicating the edge of the car that parking can be done without changing view from backup camera to right side mirror and back again. It allows one maneuver parallel parking even in pretty tight spots. As others have noted the lines are static but still very useful at judging parallel parking maneuvers. I have driven an Infiniti with the moving lines which is even nicer though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back