Test drive Concerns for CX-5

I was really dissapointed by the acceleration.

I'm sure many will tell you here, the engine is very good at the upper revs. It's very rev happy, and the acceleration is mapped with economy in mind. But when needed, a big boot will give it to you. The main Australian magazine gave it a bad rap on the way the revs were mapped this way but their pros and cons were simply:

Pro: Well packaged; capable dynamics
Cons: High tech four-cylinder engine struggles with weight, auto is eco-obsessed

And for the competition....

Toyota RAV4: You'd buy upper spec Cruiser L for typical Toyota reliability, low running costs and decent resale, not for the off-the-pace four-speed auto, ho-hum dynamics or dated interior.
Subaru Forester XT: Smooth boxer engine is saddled with four-speed auto, sadly but general refinement is good. Solid and dependable rather than truly engaging.

Effectively media has said nothing in its class will touch the CX-5 for dynamics. In one review it said that for once, BMW should be copying Mazda for steering feel not the other way around. It's also got the most modern engine and transmission in class.

If you can live with acceleration being lacklustre, made up for by dynamics then go for it.

Meanwhile unfortunately, picking up my Diesel CX-5 this afternoon - an engine which solves your problem.... then some.

I'm driving a CX7 presently and look forward to test driving a CX5. One thing concerns me is the power to weight ratio. I'm certainly not looking for a hot car off the line but, the acceleration times seem very pedestrian. I would be willing to lower the acceleration time and give up some fuel mileage. I wonder if Mazda will SkyActiv the 2.3 or 2.5L engine and bring the HP up to 170+?

Meanwhile unfortunately, picking up my Diesel CX-5 this afternoon - an engine which solves your problem.... then some.

I'm sooooo jealous.... Maybe a trade in if/when it reaches these shores...

Throttle mapping feels like it is a different ratio for the first part (30%) of gas pedal travel. I think folks are not mashing the throttle down far enough...

I'm sooooo jealous.... Maybe a trade in if/when it reaches these shores...
3 hours and counting. Have cheque in my hands.

I hope it's a "when" not an "if".

It's just so significantly better, Mazda US should have followed suit with all other countries by making it purchasable on the higher spec models only - then way not robbing the bottom end from sales.

Keep in mind you're getting a bargain in the US. My price is roughly the sale as Germany, UK and the weathier parts of Europe. US is getting bargain basement prices that are even less than Japan.

I'm paying an amount here that would make you die :)

Throttle mapping feels like it is a different ratio for the first part (30%) of gas pedal travel. I think folks are not mashing the throttle down far enough...

You notice that too? I've PDI'd several and driven them numerous times and they all feel that way. Kind of like Mazda's way to conserve on fuel as much as they can, you really have to get into the gas pedal to make her go. Almost feels "heavy" in a way.

Well, when some magazines do fully instrumented CUV comparison tests we'll find out just how slow/fast the CX-5 is relative to its competitors. If the 80km/h-120km/h times are within a second or so, then in my opinion it's all the same.

However, regardless of what the watch says, consumer perception is key because people don't tend to test drive with stopwatches.

Perhaps Mazda should have had a "sport" button that changes the throttle mapping?

Well, when some magazines do fully instrumented CUV comparison tests we'll find out just how slow/fast the CX-5 is relative to its competitors. If the 80km/h-120km/h times are within a second or so, then in my opinion it's all the same.

However, regardless of what the watch says, consumer perception is key because people don't tend to test drive with stopwatches.

Perhaps Mazda should have had a "sport" button that changes the throttle mapping?

I will say that It feels different in MANUAL-MODE, perhaps the throttle mapping changes when the stick is moved to the manual mode?

I will say that It feels different in MANUAL-MODE, perhaps the throttle mapping changes when the stick is moved to the manual mode?

It does...Don't know about the mapping, but it allows you to keep the engine in the sweet spot, where a Mileage skewed shift program does not.

My GTI with DSG is similar...Shifts up very quickly at low throttle inputs. I paddle shift it 90% of the time..

I played around with the Manual shift for a little while. I put it in M at a stop light and started in 1 on the green. I didn't shift and the revs kept going up, but it didn't shift until I did it myself. I thought, the transmission would kick in sooner to shift it to second, but I chickened out and up-shifted. I thought the computer would kick in and save me (and my car) from myself. I guess it's a good thing that the car doesn't try to take over too soon, thus defeating the purpose of the Manual Mode. I'll have to play around with it a bit more.

I played around with the Manual shift for a little while. I put it in M at a stop light and started in 1 on the green. I didn't shift and the revs kept going up, but it didn't shift until I did it myself. I thought, the transmission would kick in sooner to shift it to second, but I chickened out and up-shifted. I thought the computer would kick in and save me (and my car) from myself. I guess it's a good thing that the car doesn't try to take over too soon, thus defeating the purpose of the Manual Mode. I'll have to play around with it a bit more.

Yes, you are in charge of upshifting to the next gear when you are in MANUAL MODE. However when you decelerate and come to a stop, the transmission will return to 1st gear automatically, so there is no need to downshift. Or you can still downshift manually if you need some extra engine braking.

Yes, you are in charge of upshifting to the next gear when you are in MANUAL MODE. However when you decelerate and come to a stop, the transmission will return to 1st gear automatically, so there is no need to downshift. Or you can still downshift manually if you need some extra engine braking.

LOL. Thanks. You just saved me the cost of replacing my engine or transmission!

P.S. I almost don't want to get used to this Manu-matic shifting because I know one day I'll try to change gears in my stick shift Accord and not use the clutch! Ouch!

Last edited:
The automatic is geared for fuel economy. Switch to M to get a real feel of the engine. Better yet, try a manual.

There is going to be SEVEN different acceleration speeds-- based on transmission, FWD vs. 4x4, and overall weight.

1. SPORT M/T FWD = 3208 lbs
2. SPORT A/T FWD = 3272 lbs
3. SPORT A/T 4x4 = 3426 lbs
4. TOURING A/T FWD = ??? (3272+~20lbs??)
5. TOURING A/T 4x4 = ??? (3426+~20lbs??)
6. GRAND TOURING A/T FWD = ??? (3272+~40lbs??)
7. GRAND TOURING A/T 4x4 = ??? (3426+~40lbs??)

LOL. Thanks. You just saved me the cost of replacing my engine or transmission!

LOL!

No, you don't have to worry about that. If you just floored it, after RPM REDLINE, the computer will cut off the engine from firing until RPM falls below redline. At which point, the engine will resume firing until REDLINE is reached again. Thus comes the term "hitting the rev-limiter". Keep it floored even longer and you will be "bouncing off the rev-limiter".

The automatic is geared for fuel economy. Switch to M to get a real feel of the engine. Better yet, try a manual.

I'm thinking these folks are spot-on. From my test drive, it seemed like the automatic was indeed geared to keep the revs down, probably for the sake of fuel economy. I found this to be a bit annoying, as I'm not used to modifying pedal pressure to elicit different shifting points. Toward the end of the test drive, however, I quickly found myself using this "pedal-sensitive shifting" to achieve a greater measure of control in driving, unfortunately at the expense of having to be constantly cognizant of pedal pressure.

I didn't try the semi-manual or the manual, but I'm assuming irregular shifting would be less noticeable in both cases. With the the semi-manual, the trade-off would probably be worse gas mileage.

Comparatively, the Skyactiv Mazda 3 (same engine) shifts like a dream, and was considerably more consistent. Shifting was one of the ONLY things I was disappointed in with the CX5. But I still want one.

My old lady drives the new CX-5. She made a comment about the car's high rev idle start up. "Why does it do that? My Altima never did that..."

I kinda chuckled that she noticed.

My MS6 does it as well. Just more emissions based crap...

I'm thinking these folks are spot-on. From my test drive, it seemed like the automatic was indeed geared to keep the revs down, probably for the sake of fuel economy. I found this to be a bit annoying, as I'm not used to modifying pedal pressure to elicit different shifting points. Toward the end of the test drive, however, I quickly found myself using this "pedal-sensitive shifting" to achieve a greater measure of control in driving, unfortunately at the expense of having to be constantly cognizant of pedal pressure.

I didn't try the semi-manual or the manual, but I'm assuming irregular shifting would be less noticeable in both cases. With the the semi-manual, the trade-off would probably be worse gas mileage.

Comparatively, the Skyactiv Mazda 3 (same engine) shifts like a dream, and was considerably more consistent. Shifting was one of the ONLY things I was disappointed in with the CX5. But I still want one.

I've noticed that people on Mazda3 forums have also complained about the auto there. Too bad Mazda doesn't have a S setting for the auto (sport) (what BMW does) - which means high RPM shift, so people can be lazy about manual shifting the auto and still gets a sporty response. But at least the M mode is there.

I tested the 6MT today. it's pretty sweet. nice short throws. I'm a bit rusty with a manual, but feel quite comfortable with it. By all means, Mazda3 is a more nimble vehicle, but if one needs the space of a CUV and want a sporty ride, you can't beat CX-5. Only unfortunate thing is 6MT isn't available in Sky Blue, the best color IMO, and lacks 40/20/40 split seat.

Back