How To Acquire Non-US Spec Head Restraints for a US-spec CX-5

Update - My dealership pointed me in the direction of a custom upholstery shop in the area. They are a mom n' pop shop, but do outstanding work. I went in explaining that I wanted the rear headrests pretty much reduced in size by half. This would involve removing some of the padding and cutting the metal bars down. After stitching them up like new, this would allow me to fold the seats down without removing them, plus it would still provide safety if rear-ended.

They quoted me at $125-$150 per headrest. So about $300 (USD). I left.

This might sound crazy and a little dumb, but I think I might cut the stitching myself and do the job at home. I know it won't come out looking profesional, but hey, I learned how to sew in the Navy and there's always super-glue!

I I decide to do this, I'll definitely post some pictures, unless they look like complete garbage.

They quoted me at $125-$150 per headrest. So about $300 (USD). I left.

and that is why not many people (especially dealerships) bother with trying to import non-US items. If someone could get the Mazda ones from another market they would likely be more than those custom ones. The stuff always sounds cool until the price with all the middlemen and import fees get involved.

Same here.
Patched a few coveralls thanks to all the crap in the p-ways waiting to snag your uniform.

Okay, I am a master seamstress and would still not take on the task your boys are talking about. Seriously!? Navy sewing! Good grief, you guys got me giggling.

I have been look for these headrests too and have called a dealership in Sydney Australia. They said that no one has EVER ordered the headrest before so they don't have part numbers for them yet. He said he would have to contact the manufacting base and see what they cost and how long it would take them to make and ship to me in Oregon, USA. Once I find out price I'll fill you in. He did say though that he couldn't guarantee that the headrests in their cars would fit into a US CX-5. Which is a good point. I don't even know if they would have the same distance and measurements. My luck...won't fit after going through all the trouble of buying them. I'll keep you posted.

T

Anyone tried the Mazda 6 rear headrests? They look surprisingly similar to the non-US spec rear headrests for the cx-5 (at least, in Canada).

Anyone tried the Mazda 6 rear headrests? They look surprisingly similar to the non-US spec rear headrests for the cx-5 (at least, in Canada).

Eto, here is a photo of the Mazda 6 headrests in the CX-5. As you can see they fit in the holes, but there is a gap between the seat and the headrest.

image.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]
image2.jpeg
[/URL][/IMG]

I spoke to the dealership in Austrailia and they said to order the headrests would be $140 each plus shipping. I asked him to send me a pic of the headrests so I could ensure that they are the right ones. I am still waiting on the photo. Not sure he will do it. Crossing my fingers. I am going to buy them in the black leather with red stitch. Anybody else want a set? We could go in on shipping.

T

Eto, here is a photo of the Mazda 6 headrests in the CX-5. As you can see they fit in the holes, but there is a gap between the seat and the headrest.

Will they slide up and latch? I tried one or two different ones from other models and the posts weren't as thick so it would wobble around and one didn't have notches to hold it in place.

I've been trying to get info on the LED DRL option from my US Dealer. No luck.

Wonder how much the head rests cost.
How much would shipping be from AUS?

I went down to my local dealer a couple days ago with the part# for the blue-ish white LED DRL which is: C901-V7-160 [FL4P] <not sure you need that last bit in brackets though. They came up with nothing and claimed they couldn't order them.

This is a JDM part# and I guess Mazda doesn't allow USDM dealers to access those parts? When I owned my previous Nissan I was able to go to the local dealer and order JDM parts provided I had the correct part#.

If someone does end up pulling the trigger and orders some parts via Australia I would like to join for the LEDs if they are available there as well. They are listed at 5,740yen in case anyone is curious.

I went down to my local dealer a couple days ago with the part# for the blue-ish white LED DRL which is: C901-V7-160 [FL4P] <not sure you need that last bit in brackets though. They came up with nothing and claimed they couldn't order them.

This is a JDM part# and I guess Mazda doesn't allow USDM dealers to access those parts? When I owned my previous Nissan I was able to go to the local dealer and order JDM parts provided I had the correct part#.

If someone does end up pulling the trigger and orders some parts via Australia I would like to join for the LEDs if they are available there as well. They are listed at 5,740yen in case anyone is curious.

Do a search for the threads on here about LED DRL's and just order the kind in those threads. Mine were $30 and work flawlessly.

I would rather get one endorsed by mazda and will also work flawlessly. I ran aftermarket LEDs on my S14 before and ran into issues where the light would flicker from a poor connector. It took about 2 years to show signs of poor quality, but I would assume something oem would last even longer than a halogen equivalent.

Will they slide up and latch? I tried one or two different ones from other models and the posts weren't as thick so it would wobble around and one didn't have notches to hold it in place.

Hands, yes. The poles slide up and latch. But, as the pic shows, there is a gap. That is the farthest they go down.

T

Mark, I am putting in my order today. I PM'd you, but haven't heard back. Let me know if you want the LED lights. I might order myself a set as well. Do you think they are illegal here in the US?

T

Do you think they are illegal here in the US?
Why would it matter? The fact is, your car would no longer have any high beams. The legality is a moot point. Who would want to be driving on a dark, rainy highway at night and reach down to turn on the high beams only to find that someone had eliminated that functionality?

I know the CX-5 low beams are excellent but they do not negate the need for high beams at higher speeds. It's like asking if it's illegal to remove 5th and sixth gears.

Who would want to do that (and what would be the advantage)?

Why would it matter? The fact is, your car would no longer have any high beams. The legality is a moot point. Who would want to be driving on a dark, rainy highway at night and reach down to turn on the high beams only to find that someone had eliminated that functionality?

I know the CX-5 low beams are excellent but they do not negate the need for high beams at higher speeds. It's like asking if it's illegal to remove 5th and sixth gears.

Who would want to do that (and what would be the advantage)?

I guess that was what I was asking. Legality, benefits, negatives. I don't really know a good deal about them, but your input was appreciated.

T

EU-spec inside view

overview-interior-mazda-cx-5.jpg

pho_gallery_CX5_int9.jpg

EDIT: Added the US model for comparison

Notice the lack of one cupholder
audio-control-mazda-cx-5.jpg

Last edited:
Back