zhy's progress followup [student budget!]

what make of wheels are those?

I do not know.. however i found the japanese certification logo on the rims so they are genuine japanese :O
theres no name or information inside the rim either...

and thanks everyone for the good words.. going real slow right now, im attacking my real canister valve at the moment!

Excellent build thread. Glad you resolved the rust issue. I know that had to be a pain seeing that crap trying to take over your car. Love how your car turned out. I bought my P5 recently just for daily driving. However, I can't leave my cars alone. Regardless of what they are "supposed" to be used for. LOL You have given me some great ideas for mine. Keep up the good work!

Nice work on the rust repair. I am currently doing the same thing, I have my hatch and passenger side rear panel finished. I just ordered the POR15 kit, I am going to coat all throughout the inside of the rear wheel wells since salt corrodes that area pretty bad.

My drivers side rear panel is terrible. I ordered a whole panel, my friend who is a welder is going to help me just cut the old one out and weld the new one in. I know what you mean about love/hate...you love the car and then find new rust on it which pisses you off !

Looks wicked sharp man. This is a guy who's doin' it right people, so take note. Gotta say so far you've executed a very well done real world build! Congrates. Ya know its not one of those mommy/daddy funded builds or the credit-card-charge-it-now-bankrupt-later deals either. Mint bro, +1 on being a MightyCarMod fan too, that show is totally awesome. Anyways figured I'd share some knowledge on bodywork, since that is my trade. Rust is pretty much inevitable in certain regions of the world more so in the northern coastal areas of N. America, but also in Rainy & humid spots too. I read mention of POR-15, that stuff works! If your dealing with surface rust or even small cancerous spots where the metal has
pitted or pin holed, 1st wash area w/ mild detergent the wipe down with wax/decrease remover, next using a 90* Air Die Grinder with a 3M roloc wire brush on the rusted area in a crosscutting pattern back and forth motion (a small pencil grinder or dremel for the tight or hard to get at spots). Next clean the repair spot. ****you must use Metal-Ready before applying
POR-15 brush on the POR-15 over the affected area Thin, covering coats are best. Dry time is between 1.5-5hrs depending on humidity. POR-PATCH
,POR-15 Epoxy Putty, Straightline, and Restogrip are fillers/bondo that POR-15 states as compatible, though I've used ALL-Metal filler with no problems. then sand down, feather-edge the filler spray with Sealer Primer << important because you've got down to bare metal. Then lay down your basecoat, mid-coat(if required) then your top/clearcoat!

POR-15 is a high performance coating designed for application directly on rusted or seasoned metal surfaces. POR-15 is non-porous and seals and protects many surfaces from water, chemicals, salt, and other corrosive contaminants. POR-15 is an effective anti-corrosive and rust preventive coating that offers superior chemical resistance due to its dense, cross-linked molecular composition and non-porous attributes.

The secret lies in POR-15's curing process. Most paints dry through evaporation, but POR-15 dries faster when moisture is present. It has the opposite chemistry of ordinary paints. Now add to that POR-15's incredible hardness, toughness, and flexibility and you have a coating that is practically indestructible. POR-15 is great for auto restoration, and protecting valuable equipment against rust and corrosion.

rust3.jpg basically like this.

kinda hard to see but the whitish stuff is the all-metal

Last edited:
Used some regular Halogen bulbs to replace the broken bulbs.. no HID's man haha but thanks for the words!

I put HIDs in my fog lights. It required some drilling but really wasn't too difficult, and the ballasts mount easily in the bumper. Basically you need to drill out the original hole to fit extra wires (+/- to the ballast) and fit your existing power wires into the boot that comes with most HID kits. Put the boot snugly in your new hole, plug your bulb in, and you're good to go.

Wow! I really like how you've changed the car. I just bought my Protege5 (silver) and am about to Plastidip the rims and rear valence, plus I just put on my new matte black sport rack. Really enjoyed this thread, awesome ideas. I am also debating making my badge black, but I am not totally sure yet.

Back