How To: Replace The Cabin Air Filter

MazdaTwo

:
2011 Mazda 2 Sport (Black)
So after 34K miles I decided to go ahead and swap out the Cabin Air Filter. I purchased the new filter at the dealer for $32.45 after tax. I couldn't find an aftermarket version, but given that paper element filters still run like $15-$25, I doubt that aftermarket manufacturers are able to hit a better price point given that the filter is a two piece in a plastic frame.

Products needed: Mazda part number D651-61-J6X (Filter, Cooling Unit) or equivalent
Tools needed: Philips Screw Driver

So here's a picture of the box with the part number and what not:

My first step was to get the glove box out of the way. If you don't feel like doing this step, I'm sure it can be skipped (But why not just get it out of the way? It's a piece of cake). So just open the glove box and squeeze the top portion together as the arrows show in the image below:

Once the tabs are lowered past the catch point, you can pull the glove box toward the rear of the car to release the plastic "C" clips from the pivot points as show below: CAUTION: If you drop the glove box once you are past the catch points it WILL dump everything onto the floor.

The filter cover is located forward of the passenger side kick panel and is secured by 4 Philips screws as shown below. Once the screws are removed, the cover pulls off with no resistance.

The bottom section of the 2-piece filter slides out, and the top section will fall down in its place to be removed. Slide them back in in reverse order. The new filter comes with an instruction pages, but it should be easy to use the old filter for directional reference. The side with the bugs and leaves stuck in it was the side facing the front of the car. :) Also, the fliter is set up so that it can only install one way.

Here is a pic of my old filters for reference and to marvel at how dirty they get in just over a year and a half:

Hope this helps.

Waiiiiiit..... theres 2? Lol, I guess thats one way of getting a square peg into a round hole.

I wish I had seen your excellent post 2 weeks ago.

I just replaced my 2 filters 2 weeks ago and after several bum steers, it went OK. For example the manufacurer's diagram (Wim) had a picture of the hood / bonnet being lifted up. How misleading is that ? Maybe the filters are used for vehicles other than the current Mazda 2.

..But your post would have made it so much easier to find the filters in the first place.

Well I am now moving onto adjusting a slightly slack handbrake cable but I need to trawl here to look for any adjustment mechanism.

Oh and I didn't remove the glove box.

Last edited:

I just replaced my 2 filters 2 weeks ago and after several bum steers, it went OK. For example the manufacurer's diagram (Wim) had a picture of the hood / bonnet being lifted up. How misleading is that ? Maybe the filters are used for vehicles other than the current Mazda 2.

..But your post would have made it so much easier to find the filters in the first place.

Well I am now moving onto adjusting a slightly slack handbrake cable but I need to trawl here to look for any adjustment mechanism.

Well if you want to feel better about how long it took you to find the filters, take a look at this VIDEO of a "How To:" for the Speed3 Cabin Air filter replacement. I was more than relieved when I realized where it is located on the 2. haha.

Wait a minute... it doesn't even look like the glove box is blocking the air filter... is it?

Wait a minute... it doesn't even look like the glove box is blocking the air filter... is it?

Yeah, it's like I said in the write-up: I don't think you need to do it, but it's horrendously easy to remove, and it gave my head and right shoulder some extra breathing room.

Thanks for this How-To!

Very simple, but putting the filters one on top of the others was a little difficult since the top filter doesn't stay in place... You have to hold it with one finger and slide the other: In that tight place it was more difficult than I tough!

But all in all, it's a 10 minutes affair.

nice write up... what is the recommended time frame for replacement.. I live in windy, dusty west texas. (tumbleweed rolls by)

I should take a look at the one in the B-Spec car. I bet there is a good amount dirt in there from me "off roading" aka sliding off the track a few times.

-Derrick

It smells funny when I turn my a/c on so I'm guessing the filter needs replacing, but I don't see the point in having this filter in the first place. When you are constantly opening the doors and windows wouldn't it let dust and allergens in and defeat the purpose of the cabin air filter? Could I remove the cabin air filter completely without affecting the performance of the HVAC system?

Edit: It seems I have answered my own question. I took my filter out and I'm 99.9% sure it will not affect the HVAC system if it is removed...BUT, after seeing all of the junk stuck in the filter I might end up replacing it instead of just removing it. It's pretty messed up...like, I seriously think there might be a possum stuck back in there somewhere..

Last edited:
this is slightly off topic, but can anybody else hear a hissing sound when their AC is running? Mine comes from right where these filters are.

Ours are RHD though and it comes out on drivers side so no need to remove the glovebox.

I did find two aftermarket cabin air filters for this car at O'Reillys. One was their house brand Microgard for about $11 and Wix for $23. The Wix supposedly has a special anti-allergan coating on their paper.

this is slightly off topic, but can anybody else hear a hissing sound when their AC is running? Mine comes from right where these filters are.

You probably got it fixed by now. From my experience with my 96 Protg, the hissing sound when the A/C is running means that the A/C compressor is going bad. I had to replace the A/C compressor three times over 8 years of driving that car.

Back