Scrapping Noise After Brake Change

Hi Guys,

Last weekend i changed the passenger side pads and rotors on the wife's CX-9, ran out of time so had to postpone the drivers side until this weekend. Everything was great after the passenger side swap, but after the driver side, there is a scrapping or grinding noise when making a sharp right turn. Just happens when the wheel is turned almost completely to the right, none at wider turns.

I had to drill out the screws that held the rotors in place and did not replace them on either side, not sure if this is letting the rotor shift ever so slightly and causing the noise. Might be the dust shield flexing a little, but why wouldn't that have happened before the swap?

Any insight would be appreciated!

-Mario

I don't see where missing screws would cause an issue. Your lug nuts hold the rotors on just fine. Only thing I can think of is that your brake job might have cause the bad bearing gremlin to come out. Hope that's not the issue though. Keep us posted.

Mario, rotor screws are for manufacturing process only, I guess when the car is being made so the rotors don't fall off, before wheels are put on. I drilled mine out when I replaced my rotors.

Regarding the scraping, could be you might have messed up the re-installation of the hardware adjusting kit (the thin metal thing). Also read about failing rear transfer cases when making right hand turns, if you have all wheel drive. could just be a coincidence.

Guys,

Thanks for the replies, I really dont think the missing screws have anything to do with this issue, but I know if I ask the dealer to look at it, they will insist that they are the culprit.

The way I had to beat on the old rotor to get it to come off (yes i drilled out the screws before Hammer time) I wouldn't be that surprised if I tweaked the wheel bearing, hopefully that isn't the case. Any diagnostics I can do to see if that's what I did?

I really doubt the failing transfer case, because I drove the vehicle right before the brake job and no noise, then after the job the noise was there, too much of a coincidence for me.

Now, when you say hardware adjusting kit, do you mean the thin metal things that go onto the pad bracket or are you talking about he triangular thin metal thing that gets mounted to the inside pad? Don't see what I could of done wrong there, but I would never bet against my ineptitude :)

Thanks again guys,

-Mario

P.S. I have it at the dealer right now for the snow to summer tire swap and an alignment, it will be interesting to see if they call me with any "issues" they identified regarding this. It will be really interesting if the noise is gone when I get it back, but that it wishful thinking!

Dealer heard the noise after the tire swap and diagnosed it as bad left front bearing and tie rod end. Both are being replaced under the extended warranty! The vehicle has 77,000 miles on it.

Mario

Back