Complete CX-5 Wheel Specs

I'd imagine you can fit 9s with little effort. Getting a 9" width with et50 will put you out 25mm which would be just about flush. The only thing I'd be concerned with is clearance on the inside, (strut/wheel well/etc)

Ok just checked and Infiniti FX50 wheels are a no go, they are 9.5.

Will look for another option I guess

Ok just checked and Infiniti FX50 wheels are a no go, they are 9.5.

Will look for another option I guess

Are they same bolt pattern and cernter bore, or would machine working be necessary?

Bolt pattern is the same, as for center bore not sure but I saw a link in the forum for adjusters... Here is the link

http://www.wheelsrims.net/infiniti-fx50-inventory.html

Decent price as well, the whole set up would run about 1700$ with tires.

Not sure why you could fit these rims on a M35, and not a CUV?

Will the 17" snowflakes from my '08 Mazda3 GT be ok on the CX-5 GS? Will be used for winter rims/tires!

Hi Scouly, hi all

Thanks for excellent info. I have just ordered my cx-5 and worried about the ride comfort of 19'' wheels as I have tested the 17'' version which was ok. Is the difference in confort very significant?
I will order a full set of 17'' anyway plus winter tires. The problem is the high price the Mazda dealer asks for.

hello again

I would like to know if narrower tires (less than 225) can be fitted on the original 17'' rims the CX-5 comes with. And what will be the narrowest of all? I will keep the others unchanged, I mean it will be still 65.

cheers

Hello Bebelacus. You can definitely use narrower tires on the same 17" rims, but your aspect ratio will have to change to keep the overall diameter similar. Also, you will have to keep in mind the load index or maximum load rating for the skinnier tire versus the stock tire will probably be lower. Once you find a tire you want, you can check that tire on the manufacturer's website to see what rim width range is specified and what the load rating is. Usually, 205 or 215 tires can be fitted to 6-7.5" rims. So, you could theoretically get a 205/70R17 or 215/70R17 tire to use on the stock 17" rim (since it is 7" wide) and they would probably fit, but there aren't a lot of choices in those sizes, perhaps only a handful. For example, the Blizzak DM-V1, a good winter tire, comes in 215/70R17, uses a 6.5-7.5" rim, but has a 100 Load index versus a 102 Load index for the stock 225/65R17 tire. Technically, you can't load your CX-5 as much with cargo and people with a lower load index rating, but this only comes into play when you are loading the CX-5 to its absolute maximum weight/cargo capacity and at that point, the lower load index can potentially affect ride safety. However, if you are looking at skinnier tires for the winter, that is a good idea as skinnier tires cut through snow better, like a skinnier or sharper blade cuts better than a fatter or more dull blade.

Last edited:
I'd imagine you can fit 9s with little effort. Getting a 9" width with et50 will put you out 25mm which would be just about flush. The only thing I'd be concerned with is clearance on the inside, (strut/wheel well/etc)

kampfire (or anyone), so is the distance from inside the fender to the face of the wheel/tire 25mm? (i.e. how many mm's until the tire rubs the inside of fender?)
Also, is "et50" another way of stating the 50+ offset?

Thanks!

kampfire (or anyone), so is the distance from inside the fender to the face of the wheel/tire 25mm? (i.e. how many mm's until the tire rubs the inside of fender?)
Also, is "et50" another way of stating the 50+ offset?

Thanks!

What I meant is that if you take the current stock wheel position and put 9" wide et50 wheels on the car, then it will stick out 25mm further than stock.

Does anybody know the actual Weight of the stock wheels?

It will be very important to stay at or lower than factory weight.

Hi guys,

I can buy almost new set of Dunlop tyres + 17 " wheels for my Mazda CX5. The wheels fit but the tyre dimensions are 225/50, ET40. they were previously used on a Mazda RX8. Do you know if these tyres will fit on the Mazda CX5? Many thanks for your help.

Optimus, they will fit, but your speedometer will be off since the sidewall of the tire will be shorter than the stock setup. Not sure what impact this would have on your car's ABS, Traction Control, or TPMS.

According to http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm (Speedometer calculator)

A 60MPH reading on your Speedo with the new tires will represent an Actual 54.408 Speed

Reading___Actual
25_______22.67
45_______40.81
60_______54.41
75_______68.01
80_______72.55
88_______79.80

After 10,000 actual miles your odometer will read that you traveled 11,028

Last edited:
First of all, I would like to thanks OP for his incredible job digging that information for us!

Nonetheless, I have a question. I am looking for a winter tire & wheel package. I will probably go for a Michelin X-Ice Xi2 225/70-16. Here my two questions:

1- Should I go with narrower tire ? (such as 215 or 205)
2- If I stick with 225, should I get the 7" width wheel or the 6.5" will do just fine ?

Thank you

I'am going to put winter tyres on but 19" a too much here, So getting 17" tyres and wheels i can get 5 x 114.3 17 x8j with a ET45
I know it should ET50 but will the ET45 fit?

Thanks
Frossach

Last edited:
5mm is only about 1/8". I believe it should fit, though I will warn that the 1st gen 6 series ('03-'08) were very picky about wheel size. There wasn't much room to budge with that car, at least w/o rolling the fender lip first. But in the case of an SUV, I would make the educated guess that 5mm will make no difference.

Agreed, since the extra 5mm of the ET45 will place wheel out (and the SUV fenders are very roomy as mentioned above), away from suspension and chassis. Although the 8" (versus standard 7") wheel width might be potential problem...

Back