Still waiting for my CX-5

We just received an email that our CX-5 has hit the dock and should be here this week. I think that time frame may be a bit optimistic, but we shall see.

My CX-5 arrived at the dock on Sunday night and is already at the dealership as of today (about 2 days from dock to dealer - not too bad).

Unfortunately now I have to go through the hoops of my finance company speaking with dealership. The car has been easy... The finance has been 5 weeks of solid background checks, letter from a company I used to be director of confirming I had no liabilities, checks of the last 15 years of finance I have had. Now it's a case of getting all the specifics of the vehicle, VIN and odometer registered than forwarding all paperwork from one office to another so I can sign. Had to really bargain down to 8.6%pa (most in the market offer 10.9%).

From manufacture in Japan to dock is about 7 days, 12 days from Japan to Sydney by boat, 2 days to dealer.... 21 days for car from nothing to something.
Five weeks for finance to be dealt with.... How can paperwork be harder?

Finally! You'll love being an owner, congratulations

OMG!!! I love it so far! I don't even want to sleep .. lol. I'm still trying to get used to it. When I got to my dealer everything was ready for me...all I had to do was sign the paperwork....yay!!!

Here is a quick photo...yay!!!

541826_10150696193688418_552698417_9166950_234695554_n.jpg

I just ordered mine today..Crystal Mica Touring with tech package. They said 10 to 12 weeks for delivery! Have you all been waiting that long? I'm too impatient to wait for its arrival..

Looks awesome dude!!! Makes me wanna go wash the s*** outta mine ;)
BTW, I just waited 3 days for mine... just sayin'... LOL

I just ordered mine today..Crystal Mica Touring with tech package. They said 10 to 12 weeks for delivery! Have you all been waiting that long? I'm too impatient to wait for its arrival..
I've waited 3 days for mine. Push your dealer - dealers are supposed to exchange cars between themselves - if there is one in your specs within 300-500 miles radius he should be able to get it to you within few days. Unless you insist on having factory plastic wrapped one - then you have to wait for it to be made and delivered just for you.

I've waited 3 days for mine. Push your dealer - dealers are supposed to exchange cars between themselves - if there is one in your specs within 300-500 miles radius he should be able to get it to you within few days. Unless you insist on having factory plastic wrapped one - then you have to wait for it to be made and delivered just for you.

Under normal conditions that's what happens....However, this being a new model in short supply with lots of interest, dealers are less than willing to trade vehicles. Mine had NO luck finding a willing dealer to swap for the specs/color I wanted. When the supply increases this will be easier. Still waiting for the one they already had on order and is now on a truck somewhere on the way to the dealership... Maybe today.

Under normal conditions that's what happens....However, this being a new model in short supply with lots of interest, dealers are less than willing to trade vehicles. Mine had NO luck finding a willing dealer to swap for the specs/color I wanted. When the supply increases this will be easier. Still waiting for the one they already had on order and is now on a truck somewhere on the way to the dealership... Maybe today.

Initially, the dealer that I bought from said they could trade for the one I wanted, but then they told me that they couldn't get it because my dealer sold all of theirs and didn't have anything to trade with. The next week, he called me back saying that he received more and didn't have the exact one for me, but he traded for one. The other dealership that I was dealing with just told me that they were sold out and weren't expecting more for 10-14 days.

didn't have to wait long either...they actually had one in their lot. i guess it's luck of the draw or even a case of different supply/demand dynamics in Canada vs. the U.S.

Rule of thumb here is: find out the name of the delivery ship.

When you put down a deposit in Australia, they give you the VIN, ship name and from there the shipping schedule is easy.
Ships are easy to track and the time from Japan to local port doesn't change.

Then use www.marinetraffic.com to track.

Thanks for the info inodes . . .actually it seems that shortly after my posting the car arrived at the dealership and I was able to pick it up last Monday. When I inquired with the people at the dealership about the new car order tracking capability that you mentioned, they thought I was crazy or something. Anyways, it took them 2 weeks from order placement to pickup but the car kicks butt so I think it was definitely worth the wait!

We ordered mid-March and received an email from dealer today saying that our White CX-5 GT AWD (with black interior) will be in the first week of May. We can't get a vehicle in a dealer swap because we had to make the purchase (fork over the money) in March as part of a family financial plan that had to be wrapped up by the end of March. That means we're locked into a VIN number of the car we already paid for.

During a normal winter/spring, I wouldn't mind. Spare new car from remaining days of salt and snow (we often have snow storms here into April)...but it's been remarkably warm....reminds me of North Carolina spring, not Ohio...so I'm bummed we have to wait. Plus, it's difficult reading repeated negativity toward power and second guessing purchase.

I started driving VWs when I was 12 years old. My friend's dad owned a VW garage and gave her an old convertible bug to off-road through the woods behind us. We built ramps, tore down trees...and did really stupid things (like intentionally taking ramps so fast that the unknowing kids sitting in the back of the bug would go flying out). We had so much fun...I thought I was a VW person for life. And I was -- and convinced my husband he was -- until now (I'm 43).

But VW, sigh, hasn't kept up with our evolving family's wants and needs.

Fingers crossed on the Mazda (still wish the diesel would have arrive with initial roll out).

@amagar

First off, congratulations on your purchase, I have the same color and trim myself. I wouldn't worry much about "lack of power", this is obviously not a race car, but I find it more than adequate for everyday driving. Not much difference with my previous 2.3L Mazda3, except a little more "fuel economy" tuned transmission in full-auto mode.

Thanks for the info inodes . . .actually it seems that shortly after my posting the car arrived at the dealership and I was able to pick it up last Monday. When I inquired with the people at the dealership about the new car order tracking capability that you mentioned, they thought I was crazy or something. Anyways, it took them 2 weeks from order placement to pickup but the car kicks butt so I think it was definitely worth the wait!

I think it's standard practice in Australia to provide ship name, because they expect customers want to know where the car is at a given time. I think everyone is busy watching their order in Australia on their iPhone and iPad apps. I'd expect Americans to be similar - so laughing at you is a little strange to me.

Literally on the order date, the computer system can find the car allocated for Australia prior to production. It's then automatically allocated to the dealership. They've said that they even have the ability to swap cars between dealerships while they're on the ship before they get to the dock. It's a hard ask, but apparently possible.
I knew VIN, production date, time of departure from dock and estimated arrival into my home port within a couple days or ordering.
It was like this for my Mazda 3 (7 years ago), and even more quick now.

From order to manufacture takes a day or so. From there, the process seems quick. I'm lucky that we're a much closer distance to Japan that the US (we consider ourselves an Asian country when it suits us - for trade!). It takes 10-14 days to get to Australia depending on number of ports and speed of ship.

Still amazed at how quickly the dock processed the car and got it to the dealership. From boat arriving at 1am on the Sunday, the car managed to make it to the lot before start of business on the Tuesday. No mucking around :)

Back