First drive of the Diesel - Review and Photos/Videos

It's not just the particulates that California is crazy about, they're also too obsessed with nox and HC. That's why the BMW diesels in Europe don't need urea like the USA versions do.

All the Diesels on sale in Australia require the urea. I don't think they sell them (even in Europe) without them.
But the change in design on the CX-5 also reduces NOx as well.

Urea is therefore a requirement of the CX-7 Diesel (which we sell in Australia), and the Tiguan, and the Passat.
But the CX-5 is the first without Urea.

The Mazda technians said the Urea refills proved to be expensive for the CX-7 owners and that not requiring on the CX-5 was one of the reasons some Diesel CX-7 owners were come in to do trade ins.

Looking at NOx

Euro 6 (Set for 2015) - NOx - 0.06g/km
California is - NOx - 0.3g/mi = 0.18g/km (for ULEV) and double that for Tier 1.

The European - Euro 6 is 3x more strict than California

But even if we take the lowest possible requirement for a diesel vehicle, being a new vehicle under 50,000mi/5 years and ULEV - which doesn't even apply to CX-5
The European measure is still twice as stict on NOx as California.

The CX-5 Diesel therefore exceeds Californian requirements signifiantly on both NOx and PM. Low CO2 is also a bonus.

Last edited:
After one week of owning my CX-5 (exactly the same config as iNodes except mine is white), I'm extremely happy with everything. I do a considerable amount of country driving and the automatic low beam is just great (it should be compulsory on all cars) as well as the bi Xenon lights. I initially thought the iStop would be a nuisance but the restart of the motor is so quick that I've left it switched on. Lane departure waring is also a great feature. One of the roads I drive on involves setting the cruise control at 110kmh (70mph) for one and a quarter hours straight and its very easy to lose concentration on that road. The LDW certainly wakes you instantly if you look like leaving the road!
No rattles or squeaks and the GPS is very functional with speed cameras etc. Average 39mpg (imp). Love my CX5!

Am told that Mazda Australia predicted 70% petrol and 30% diesel sales for Australia but the actual demand is closer to the opposite. As a result, acquiring a diesel can currently take some time.

Last edited:
After one week of owning my CX-5 (exactly the same config as iNodes except mine is white), I'm extremely happy with everything. I do a considerable amount of country driving and the automatic low beam is just great (it should be compulsory on all cars) as well as the bi Xenon lights. I initially thought the iStop would be a nuisance but the restart of the motor is so quick that I've left it switched on. Lane departure waring is also a great feature. One of the roads I drive on involves setting the cruise control at 110kmh (70mph) for one and a quarter hours straight and its very easy to lose concentration on that road. The LDW certainly wakes you instantly if you look like leaving the road!
No rattles or squeaks and the GPS is very functional with speed cameras etc. Average 39mpg (imp). Love my CX5!

Am told that Mazda Australia predicted 70% petrol and 30% diesel sales for Australia but the actual demand is closer to the opposite. As a result, acquiring a diesel can currently take some time.

Thanks for posting Jock. You represent the other half of drivers. I am barely a 5 minute from the Opera House, so I am in the thick of the city.
With city driving. You can see the result of that on my Fuelly sig below. So I'm sitting on 8.2L/100, 28mpg.
Time for a drive tomorrow to stretch the legs.

My dealer said the next available diesels were delayed as far as August.

i-Stop is a blessing in the city. It's not a nuisance to me either.

Back