Steering Clunking

zhy

:
I aint even mad!
Whenever I slightly turn my steering wheel I hear this clunking noise... whats wrong?

It started to do that after I turned the steering wheel a bit while the car was off.. that was a bad idea wasnt it?

Hmm idk there sorry bro. I'd check your wheel bearings tho just to make sure, doesn't hurt to rule them out

Im having the same issue
I thought it was endlinks but i have new ones on there and the noise is still there.
Im thinking the struts are shot

Check your Constant Velocity Joints and see if they are good. Usually you get a knocking sound when turning if they are going bad. Just another suggestion.

thanks for all the helpful replies
but this morning, a fellow p5 user came to sell me something and I wanted to show him the clunking
and it was gone.. O_O
oh you p5...

If the engine was off it's definitely not the CV joints, the wheel bearings, or the endlinks...

It's bad inner or outer tie rod end, those are the only components being stressed during that test.

That being said, it may be a normal sound. Mine does the same thing when I jerk the wheel back and forth with the engine off in my driveway. I jacked up the front last year and checked for any play in the steering components but didn't find anything. As long as it doesn't do it while you're moving I think you'll be fine.

My P5 started making that noise shortly after I bought it. :( Took it to the shop, and they told me it was coming from inside my steering rack. But my steering also doesn't usually come back to center and tends to hang on to the left or right after turning the wheel more than 3/4ths of a turn. I hope for your sake it isn't that ($1000 fix!), but just putting in some input if you didn't find the solution yet.

Back