1450mi Trip Denver to Seattle (2 days)

DrTraci

:
2013 Mazda CX-5 Touring
Drove the new CX-5 to Seattle to deliver it to my daughter (she is making the payments). My wife followed me in our 2010 VW Jetta TDI. Wanted to post some mileage figures and observations:

Mileage (Note: CX-5 loaded with about 600lbs including me):

Denver CO - Laramie WY (216mi) - CX-5: 23.2mpg Jetta: 38.3mpg - Speed mixed 55-75 - Conditions mixed dry, rain, freezing rain, snow, Some hills
Laramie WY - Evanston WY (314mi) - CX-5: 30.4mpg Jetta: 45.5mpg - Speed 75 - Conditions mixed dry, rain, Some hills
Evanston WY - Twin Falls ID (269mi) - CX-5: 25.1mpg Jetta: 37.8mpg - Speed 75 - Conditions mixed dry, rain, Hills and terrible wind
Twin Falls ID - Boise ID (126mi) - CX-5: 21.7mpg Jetta: 35mpg - Speed 75 - Conditions dry, Hills and terrible wind
Boise ID - Richland WA (284mi) - CX-5: 31.5mpg Jetta: 43.6mpg - Speed 65 - Conditions dry, Hills and terrible wind
Richland WA - Seattle WA (240mi) - CX-5: 30.7mpg Jetta: 47mpg - Speed 70 - Conditions dry, Hills, some mountain

Average: CX-5 = 27.1 Jetta 41.2

Observations CX-5:

Ride was very comfortable. Not a bit sore even after the 1st day 12hr stint.
Road handling was great.
Handled the terrible quartering/head winds (with obvious affect on mileage) very well.
Cruise worked well.
Handled hills and mountains at speed with expected down-shifting of a 4cyl.
The sometimes 2nd down-shift just at the last of a hill was overly hard IMO (but it is a big AWD car with a 4cyl)
A few issues with iPhone/music play (usually restarting bluetooth connection fixed it)
Overall, very pleased with the car, my Dr daughter loves it. She is coming from a Saturn SL2.

sounds great, so even with 600 lbs of added weight you managed ~30mpg from Boise ID to Seattle WA? amazing!

Yea for the conditions you had the mileage doesnt seem too bad. Hills and wind and loaded down pry hurts mileage on the CX-5 since its a little underpowered.

No problem in snow/ice on the WY leg. Car/tires gripped well, although for the most part it is pretty straight road on that leg (with hills).

Did you try other grades of gas during your trip? I know the car is suggested to use regular, but wondering if you tried middle or premium and noticed a difference in mpg.

Octane rating ranged from 87 to 90 on the various legs. I should have mapped that on each leg also, but unfortunately did not. Most of the legs it was above 87.

Did you get the technology package with the Touring? I'm now understanding that the CX5 does not come standard with a basic car alarm unless you've opted to add the tech package. Is that true? Seems kinda strange to me...my impression was that was an additional feature i.e. "perimeter alarm" that would in addition to the basic car alarm...anyone have other thoughts?

And if so...I'm wondering if there's a way to install the OEM alarm separately afterwards, or is there only the option of an aftermarket version.

Did you get the technology package with the Touring? I'm now understanding that the CX5 does not come standard with a basic car alarm unless you've opted to add the tech package. Is that true? Seems kinda strange to me...my impression was that was an additional feature i.e. "perimeter alarm" that would in addition to the basic car alarm...anyone have other thoughts?

And if so...I'm wondering if there's a way to install the OEM alarm separately afterwards, or is there only the option of an aftermarket version.

The Perimeter alarm is an option in the GX and GS trims.
The CX5 GT with tech comes with the perimeter alarm and the engine imobilizer. All trims do contain the immobilizer.

nice to see a long hill trip, thanks for tracking it. I will be getting mine next week sometime, will need to help track the MPG as well as you have for comparison to a FWD model.

The CX5 GT with tech comes with the perimeter alarm and the engine imobilizer. All trims do contain the immobilizer.

Is the engine immobilizer equivalent to an "alarm"? If not, does that mean that unless you add the tech package, you really don't have a car alarm per se?

Excellent report. Thank you for posting this. Very impressive figures for what was going to be a tough test; going up against a small efficient diesel.
That said, the mpg from the CX-5 seems to be very similar to the figures a small petrol (gasoline) car would produce.

I'll post a similar report in a month, when I take our CX-5 diesel on a run (it's still on a ship leaving Japan today, so arrives in 2 weeks). Won't be covering the same distance, but will be good to see the difference and if the CX-5 diesel can sit somewhere between your figures.

Is the engine immobilizer equivalent to an "alarm"? If not, does that mean that unless you add the tech package, you really don't have a car alarm per se?

You can kinda say that. It's like you have half of the full alarm. if some one breaks in and tries to steal the car, the immobilizer will stop/slow them down from boosting the car. but the downside is you have no perimeter alarm to scare them off.

--Excellent report. Thank you for posting this. Very impressive figures for what was going to be a tough test; going up against a small efficient diesel.
--That said, the mpg from the CX-5 seems to be very similar to the figures a small petrol (gasoline) car would produce.

--I'll post a similar report in a month, when I take our CX-5 diesel on a run (it's still on a ship leaving Japan today, so arrives in 2 weeks). Won't be covering the same distance, but will be good to see the difference and if the CX-5 diesel can sit somewhere between your figures.

inodes,

Put the diesel in just for contrast. Its mileage did track up and down with the CX-5 when conditions affected things. I agree with your analogy o the CX-5 mpg tracking with that of a smaller gas car. The CX-5 diesel is gonna be killer. I envy you. I sure hope we get to see it in the US.

Last edited:
--- One more question. Did you try turning off TCS and notice a difference in mpg?

Did not attempt this.

i will allow the op to answer this, but this is old wifes tales from the rx8.. 2004 vintage.. it makes no difference..

beers

--- One more question. Did you try turning off TCS and notice a difference in mpg?

Did not attempt this.

Interesting. In Canada, the alarm is standard on the GS/GT trims. I don't understand why the Canadian and American models aren't exactly the same.

Interesting. In Canada, the alarm is standard on the GS/GT trims. I don't understand why the Canadian and American models aren't exactly the same.

That's exactly what I had assumed! I only just found out recently and was somewhat shocked...now i'm considering just buying "THE CLUB"...haha...never thought i'd be one of those people...but I just don't want to have to worry about warranty issues with installing my own separate alarm.

Back