SD slot in the CX-5?

inodes

:
2012 Mazda CX-5 GT Diesel with Tech Pack
Two very quick questions that I know someone out there will be able to find out
(as I can see from replies, this is among the most well informed of all Mazda forums on the net)...

Near the door on the driver side on the higher end models is an SD slot. Does anyone know what this is?
Secondly, while using the TomTom navigation system I noted a section for traffic. I am familiar with the TomTom traffic system as I have it enabled on my iPhone's TomTom, but that uses internet to get up to date traffic information. I couldn't figure out how the CX-5 was going to (a) log into TomTom to confirm a traffic subscription and (b) download traffic information.

Anyone have any information (or better still, references from owner's handbooks)?

Two very quick questions that I know someone out there will be able to find out
(as I can see from replies, this is among the most well informed of all Mazda forums on the net)...

Near the door on the driver side on the higher end models is an SD slot. Does anyone know what this is?
Secondly, while using the TomTom navigation system I noted a section for traffic. I am familiar with the TomTom traffic system as I have it enabled on my iPhone's TomTom, but that uses internet to get up to date traffic information. I couldn't figure out how the CX-5 was going to (a) log into TomTom to confirm a traffic subscription and (b) download traffic information.

Anyone have any information (or better still, references from owner's handbooks)?

I can't say for certain, but I know for my Garmin Nuvi, it relies on an internal FM radio traffic receiver that subscribes to their proprietary traffic channels to get those updates. I'd assume the CX5 navigation would likely be in a similar situation. Sorry I don't have more to add, but that'd be my best guess.

From what I've heard from the dealer, it's part of the GPS navigation system. I believe it contains the base firmware for navigation (which I also think gets updated regularly with new maps and information from TomTom, ostensibly wirelessly).

I just got my CX5 yesterday, and am waiting on a quote to get navigation added on. Will post here when I find out more.

I would think this is a memory card slot for an SD card, so you can load music into the stereo/navigation unit. I personally have only driven a Touring so I did not see an SD card. This is interesting news though as I did not know the GT came with an SD slot.

It is for the GPS, probably on all models, mine is a Touring and it is there. I think all they have have to do to add navi is install the card and maybe some software...it only takes about 20 mins from what I have read. The navi is much improved over my 10 Mazda3. This one is actually pretty useful and user friendly to boot.

It is for the GPS, probably on all models, mine is a Touring and it is there. I think all they have have to do to add navi is install the card and maybe some software...it only takes about 20 mins from what I have read. The navi is much improved over my 10 Mazda3. This one is actually pretty useful and user friendly to boot.

I'm very glad they put TomTom into the Mazda. Other car makers should take note.
Renault in France have also started using an integrated TomTom: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkKGXnVepGM (SD shown in video).

I did have a test of the CX-5 with TomTom in-built. Fantastic! Easy!

Have the AWD GT version. The slot is like others here are saying, it's for the navigation system. Contains map information.

Have the AWD GT version. The slot is like others here are saying, it's for the navigation system. Contains map information.

Is there any TomTom software that comes with the car to allow updating of maps. TomTom also allows MapShare - which is a group sharing of map errors. Wondering if that works on the CX-5.

Lastly, I have TomTom traffic on my iPhone. I know my licence is on a user (rather than device) basis. I am hoping to be able to remove it from my iPhone, and enable it on the CX-5.
Has anyone managed to get Traffic working?

Glenn

On my 500+ mile drive home from the dealership, the nav system performed an automatic refresh of my route based on traffic and suggested a new route. It also showed construction zones. Not sure if that is the full traffic feature of the TomTom system but it was helpful. According to the manual, you can take the SD card out of the slot, insert it into your PC and go to TomTom's website, and if there is an updated version of the maps within the first 60 days of using the nav system, you can download the new version for free. To get the free update you have to do this within the first 60 days. So, I assume that subsequent updates must be purchased. However, if you have a lifetime user license, I'd contact TomTom to see if it will apply to the car as well.

Went hunting on the TomTom website. Their website is certainly nowhere as good as their products, and it was google that led me to:
http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/products/built-in-car-navigation/mazda-navigation-system-nb1-live/
and
http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/Mazda_Navigation_System_NB1/manual.htm

Because TomTom is a Dutch company, the European links are updated first.

Very glad though that Mazda chose TomTom. Although other companies might have prettier interfaces, TomTom has always been far easier to use, and more clever with its routes. I've done many side by side comparisons here in Sydney (which has no logic to its road system). When travelling through very familiar areas I know backwards, the TomTom has been the only GPS to send me through back routes I know to be faster. Very clever!

Last edited:
Thanks, inodes, and you're right about TomTom's website not being particularly easy to navigate. However, I eventually figured out that unlike portable TomTom devices with "Live" services (which come with 1 year of free service), Mazdas only come with a 3-month trial subscription. You then have to renew the service for $59.95 per year by creating an account with TomTom. if you don't renew, the nav features will still work but you won't get the traffic updates and some other services. Because you can't connect your device directly to a PC, it would seem that after you set up your TomTom account and give them a credit card, the Live services will update and extend automatically over-the-air (unless you subsequently cancel), but that's not entirely clear. Here's the link for renewing the subscription:

http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=14&tab=100

Thanks, inodes, and you're right about TomTom's website not being particularly easy to navigate. However, I eventually figured out that unlike portable TomTom devices with "Live" services (which come with 1 year of free service), Mazdas only come with a 3-month trial subscription. You then have to renew the service for $59.95 per year by creating an account with TomTom. if you don't renew, the nav features will still work but you won't get the traffic updates and some other services. Because you can't connect your device directly to a PC, it would seem that after you set up your TomTom account and give them a credit card, the Live services will update and extend automatically over-the-air (unless you subsequently cancel), but that's not entirely clear. Here's the link for renewing the subscription:

http://www.tomtom.com/services/service.php?id=14&tab=100

Been fortunate that I've had a battle with TomTom over Traffic HD on my iPhone.
I was doing development work with iOS 5 before the iPhone 4 came out, and using beta software on the iPhone caused issues with Traffic. As a result, Traffic didn't work. But I tried to send information to TomTom developers...... many months passed before a fix came out.

Complaints to Apple resulted in a swift refund of all Traffic fees (Apple have *excellent* customer service). Complaints to TomTom resulted in an extension of my Traffic subscription (albeit not at the speed or ease of Apple).
With Traffic subscriptions now totalling a couple of years on my account, I am hoping that I can simply transfer my massive subscription over :)

Is there any TomTom software that comes with the car to allow updating of maps. TomTom also allows MapShare - which is a group sharing of map errors. Wondering if that works on the CX-5.

Lastly, I have TomTom traffic on my iPhone. I know my licence is on a user (rather than device) basis. I am hoping to be able to remove it from my iPhone, and enable it on the CX-5.
Has anyone managed to get Traffic working?

Glenn

The product page does indeed have a lot of good details about the nav: http://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/product...tion-system-nb1-live/index.jsp#tab:highlights

I'm surprised that Tomtom only gives a 3 month sub for the live services. I have a Garmin Nav that includes live traffic via FM, and there is no fee for that.

Downloaded the manual for the NB1. have some reading to do tonight. (drinks)

However, if you have a lifetime user license, I'd contact TomTom to see if it will apply to the car as well.

Was anyone able to provide an update on this as well? Based on my previous experience, most car navigation systems still require yearly subscriptions which is really why I didn't see a necessity to add that as a feature. (Already have a garmin with lifetime updates paid for)

Was anyone able to provide an update on this as well? Based on my previous experience, most car navigation systems still require yearly subscriptions which is really why I didn't see a necessity to add that as a feature. (Already have a garmin with lifetime updates paid for)

I can't see why my iPhone traffic subscription wouldn't work on the CX-5. If it does, it provides an interesting backdoor.
The traffic subscription on the iPhone is done via an in app purchase, but applied against the TomTom login.

Lately in Australia, iTunes cards have been on sale for 20% off. I've purchased quite a few of them, because it means that all iTunes/App Store/in app purchases are 20% off.
Buying the traffic in app is a bit cheaper than straight from TomTom. Adding 20% off to that is a bargain.

I'll see how I go with converting to the CX-5.

so where is the traffic data coming from in the us? they specifically said it had traffic on it and its in the settings menu?

Back