What did you pay for your CX-5?

Juat fof giggles and grins, went to online offers. Carvana offered $34,495 for my 4,900 mile, 2020 CX-5 Signature, which had an MSRP $38,705 for which I stole from the dealer for $33,000 after his doc fee. CarMax offered $37,200

I've sold to CV before and they indeed give me a check for their on-line quote. Has anyone sold to CM and got their online quoted price?

yes but usually have to do the inspection.
Crazy times indeed.
My 2018 is now the same market offer price that was the msrp in 2018 :)
Inflation is eating it everywhere and the us dollar purchase power is lower than ever.

Juat fof giggles and grins, went to online offers. Carvana offered $34,495 for my 4,900 mile, 2020 CX-5 Signature, which had an MSRP $38,705 for which I stole from the dealer for $33,000 after his doc fee. CarMax offered $37,200

I've sold to CV before and they indeed give me a check for their on-line quote. Has anyone sold to CM and got their online quoted price?
I bought my 2017 touring off lease for $17,000 one year ago. Carmax quoted me $24,100 online. I went to their showroom Sunday for the official appraisal and expected to get lowballed. They came back with, wait for it, $24,100. I’m doing that deal — my local dealer said he couldn’t even retail the car for that much.

i’m replacing it with a brand new touring with package. With loyalty incentives, the new one is only costing me 750 over MSRP. Not like the good old days where you’d be well under, but the premium I’m getting for selling my car is a whole lot more than the slight premium I’m paying for the new one. We are living in interesting times,

. Not like the good old days where you’d be well under, but the premium I’m getting for selling my car is a whole lot more than the slight premium I’m paying for the new one. We are living in interesting times,
Yeah, just 2 years ago I'd never consider MSRP, today we'll take MSRP happily without add-ons. It's all relative, and anyone stumbling across this thread should not worry that they are being taken advantage of if being charged "only" MSRP

Inflation everywhere, dont be surprised of the tradein prices. My 2018 trade in quote is more than the msrp from 3 yrs ago :)
The discounted prices from prior covid are long gone as well as the juicy rebates.
We may benefit now but 2-3 yrs ahead would be interesting time.

Anyone purchase a new cx-5 sig recently? What are dealers asking or what deals have been able to be made? I'm in the southeast region. Just want to know if it is msrp all day long or any chance of discount. Thanks

If you can get it for MSRP, I'd say that's fair, as many aare adding $2,000 in paint shield, vin etching, pverprised tint and edge guards

If you can get it for MSRP, I'd say that's fair, as many aare adding $2,000 in paint shield, vin etching, pverprised tint and edge guards
Thanks Hal, that's what I figured. One dealer offered what I wanted on my trade and Gave me a $300 discount off MSRP of $41,040 with a bunch of factory options which I don't need all of, but then wanted $2k for bogus add on scam paint protection and nitrogen crap which I will not pay, Plus tracking on an $800 admin fee. There seem to be plenty around my 200 mile radius for this trim and red color and I'm sure I can work a deal better. I'm not being suckered into garbage. Lol

Live in north TX region. I asked for a quote from my local dealer for a red GT Reserve, and got the following:

MSRP - $37880
Add-on package(window tint, door edge seal, wheel lock) - $1800 cannot opt out
TTL - $1851.38
Military discount - -$500
Total - $41531.38

Really kicking myself for not pulling the trigger earlier...😢😢😢 problem is my finance was not ready up until very recently, so I waited and saved more money. Now I'm ready, but found the market left me behind again... 😭

Live in north TX region. I asked for a quote from my local dealer for a red GT Reserve, and got the following:

MSRP - $37880
Add-on package(window tint, door edge seal, wheel lock) - $1800 cannot opt out
TTL - $1851.38
Military discount - -$500
Total - $41531.38

Really kicking myself for not pulling the trigger earlier...😢😢😢 problem is my finance was not ready up until very recently, so I waited and saved more money. Now I'm ready, but found the market left me behind again... 😭
Don't kick yourself. These grubby dealers are trying to get away with a crime in this market. Charging MSRP is profit enough not to mention the dealer admin doc crap scam fee on top of it. To charge you $1800 for $200 Max worth of nothing is a crime and they are doing it because idiots are paying it. Stop doing that and they will learn.

To charge you $1800 for $200 Max worth of nothing is a crime and they are doing it because idiots are paying it. Stop doing that and they will learn.
They like saying "we have to charge you, we already put it on the car"

I Spoke to 2 dealer that had a car coming in, not yet on their lot, that matched what I was looking for - so they didn't "already have the dealer add-ons". One of them reluctantly said they wouldn't add them/charge me. The second dealer actually said that the owner won't sell any cars without the $1,900 package that they add. Guess who's not selling me a car.

They like saying "we have to charge you, we already put it on the car"

I Spoke to 2 dealer that had a car coming in, not yet on their lot, that matched what I was looking for - so they didn't "already have the dealer add-ons". One of them reluctantly said they wouldn't add them/charge me. The second dealer actually said that the owner won't sell any cars without the $1,900 package that they add. Guess who's not selling me a car.
Exactly! They're crazy and coming up with creative ways to sell their cars over MSRP all while saying they sell at MSRP with no dealer add on market adjustment. People just don't see that and fall for it. MSRP is plenty of money for them. They get floorplan assistance, advertising assistance, holdback, volume bonuses and other hidden manufacturer to dealer incentives ON TOP of that. They still have to audacity to charge an $800 doc/admin/insert whatever name they call it fee as a cherry on top! They are greedy little bastards

Volume bonuses? There are hardly any cars to sell right now. What 'volume bonuses?' We normally have about 160 new vehicles. Last month the most we had at one time was maybe 7. Right now there are 2. Mazda has a tiny market up compared to most brands, especially US ones like Ford/GM. And holdback is only 1% (it's 3% for most US brands). Hyundai dealers in my area adding $4-$6000 market adjustments to make up for lack of inventory. I think dealers in my state can only charge $150 for the doc fee. My dealer group has even cancelled employee discounts on vehicle purchases until further notice.

It takes a certain amount of cash flow to make payroll for all the different depts and keep the lights on. If in normal times that took selling 100 cars/month at $X.XX profit, now, with only 20 cars/month available, each one of those needs to bring in more.

But yeah, unfortunately in these market conditions, MSRP (or even MSRP+a discounted addendum) is considered a fair deal

Last edited:
Volume bonuses? There are hardly any cars to sell right now. What 'volume bonuses?' We normally have about 160 new vehicles. Last month the most we had at one time was maybe 7. Right now there are 2. Mazda has a tiny market up compared to most brands, especially US ones like Ford/GM. And holdback is only 1% (it's 3% for most US brands). Hyundai dealers in my area adding $4-$6000 market adjustments to make up for lack of inventory. I think dealers in my state can only charge $150 for the doc fee. My dealer group has even cancelled employee discounts on vehicle purchases until further notice.

It takes a certain amount of cash flow to make payroll for all the different depts and keep the lights on. If in normal times that took selling 100 cars/month at $X.XX profit, now, with only 20 cars/month available, each one of those needs to bring in more.

But yeah, unfortunately in these market conditions, MSRP (or even MSRP+a discounted addendum) is considered a fair deal
Nothing you say surprises me from the outside looking in. You didn't even mention trade values.

At the risk of sounding like a broken record, KBB's midpoint trade value for my vehicle in my zip code, specified as excellent condition with 12,100 miles is $30,824, up $3,000 in just the last 2 months. That's more than MSRP for a new one identically equipped (no options or dealer add-ons except AWD and Soul Red). Even if I knocked it down to good condition, the trade value midpoint is $29,286, still $3,000 more than I paid for it before tax and title with 4,000 miles on the OD 16 months ago with certified warranty extension, no financing or ups or extras--nada--less a $3,500 trade credit on a 2006 Accord.

Using the same KBB parameters in excellent condition back on 12/31/20, 11 months newer with 5,000 fewer miles, that midpoint trade value was $21,947. This picture is more or less consistent with Bureau of Labor Statistics findings that the average used car price is up 40% this year through November.

Would a dealer see as much profit on the trade resale of my vehicle now compared to 11 months ago, paying up to or over current MSRP for that trade now? I don't think so.

The moral of the story is if one has a late model, low mileage trade the deal could be very favorable to the buyer compared to 11 months ago even paying substantially over MSRP or having $2,000 worth of unwanted stuff tagged on with a side sticker. Low value trade or no trade? I'd wait 6 - 12 months if the current vehicle can stand it.

Something else I mentioned previously: If one has a car coming off a 2 or 3 year lease, check the buyout cost in the contract relative to its used trade value. That could be the best deal you'll ever see. Even paying the sales tax on the buyout, you might be able to flip it for substantial profit, to the dealer in one sit down perhaps, whether or not you buy or lease a new one at the same time. If one just turns in the lease without checking that buyout cost, several $1,000s might left on the table.

As for taking personal affront at that $2,000 side sticker, are we capitalists or are we not? Market dislocations in one thing or another at one time or another comes with the territory. If you have lived through the oil embargo and hyperinflation in the 70's or old enough to have experienced the impact of the Great Recession, you may not know what I'm talking about. In this situation, on the subject of dealer profitability, it is desperate times requiring desperate capitalist measures.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hyundai dealers in my area adding $4-$6000 market adjustments to make up for lack of inventory.
Yeah, a buddy of mine near Ocala FL was helping a lady friend shop for a Kia Telluride this summer. Even before this mess that was a hot vehicle in limited supply without much discounting. He found that dealers were asking $5,000 - $10,000 over MSRP depending on trim.

Last edited by a moderator:
First post, first Mazda - super excited about my wife's new car. I'm in Charleston, SC and just paid MSRP + $2,400 for our '21 CX5 Touring AWD with Premium package (bose, sunroof, leather, etc.). We did the negotiating on the trade which was a 2020 toyota highlander limited with 15,250 miles and curb rash on all 4 rims. It was just too big for my wife. We bought that car in August 2020 and the Mazda dealer gave us $1,500 more than we paid for it, in trade! We paid $43,000 last year and traded it for $44,500. They said they'd rather budge on the trade value so that it looks like people are paying more for their cars. Take that for what it's worth.

First post, first Mazda - super excited about my wife's new car. I'm in Charleston, SC and just paid MSRP + $2,400 for our '21 CX5 Touring AWD with Premium package (bose, sunroof, leather, etc.). We did the negotiating on the trade which was a 2020 toyota highlander limited with 15,250 miles and curb rash on all 4 rims. It was just too big for my wife. We bought that car in August 2020 and the Mazda dealer gave us $1,500 more than we paid for it, in trade! We paid $43,000 last year and traded it for $44,500. They said they'd rather budge on the trade value so that it looks like people are paying more for their cars. Take that for what it's worth.
Congrats! Crazy time we are in now. I'm finalizing a deal on a new 2021 red CX-5 signature for 1 (one) percent off MSRP, no add ons but $700 admin fee. Plus $500 extra off loyalty. They gave me $2000 more trade in for my like new 2020 CX-5 GT with premium package than paid a year and a half ago. Happy with that deal. Straight up dealer

Last edited:
I sure am glad I don't need to buy cars anytime soon!

It's going to be this way for the next year and a half or longer
I am in semiconductor-related industry.
All signs point to chip shortage easing up by end of 2022.
We will continue to see shortage for the 1H/2022.
EVs are popular now. An EV needs 2-3X more chips than an ICE vehicle.

Back