What did you pay for your CX-5?

My wife and I have joined the CX5 family. Below is our price breakdown:

2021 CX-5 Signature Blue Location: Twin Cities MSRP = $38,505 Savings = $3,000 Subtotal = $35,505 Loan = 0.9% apr at 60 months Tax (6.5%) Doc fee = $125 Title and Registration = $519

We also traded in a car, but I'll provide an "out the door" cost assuming we didn't:

Total = $35,505+0.065*(35,505)+$125+$519 = $38,457.

It's worth noting we could have got another $1,000 off the purchase price but then we'd be giving up the 0.9% financing. The numbers worked out that it was better to take the lower APR rather than the $1,000 off.

The only slightly annoying thing the dealership tried, was adding on a $300 "rear collision avoidance system" after we already negotiated. I had that removed. Apparently this is just something that pulses the brightness of the brake lights when you step on the brakes to draw more attention to it. This wasn't necessarily something I didn't want, I just didn't think it was worth nearly this price. Does anyone know more about what that system is and how much it costs to install yourself?

The only slightly annoying thing the dealership tried, was adding on a $300 "rear collision avoidance system" after we already negotiated. I had that removed. Apparently this is just something that pulses the brightness of the brake lights when you step on the brakes to draw more attention to it. This wasn't necessarily something I didn't want, I just didn't think it was worth nearly this price. Does anyone know more about what that system is and how much it costs to install yourself?
It causes your brake light to flash under hard braking. The legality of it in the states is debatable. The $300's the dealer was trying to charge for adding it, is not. They were attempting to remove money from your wallet.

It causes your brake light to flash under hard braking. The legality of it in the states is debatable. The $300's the dealer was trying to charge for adding it, is not. They were attempting to remove money from your wallet.
Well, yeah. That's why I had it removed. I just didn't exactly know what it did when I had it removed.

My wife and I have joined the CX5 family. Below is our price breakdown:

2021 CX-5 Signature Blue Location: Twin Cities MSRP = $38,505 Savings = $3,000 Subtotal = $35,505 Loan = 0.9% apr at 60 months Tax (6.5%) Doc fee = $125 Title and Registration = $519

We also traded in a car, but I'll provide an "out the door" cost assuming we didn't:

Total = $35,505+0.065*(35,505)+$125+$519 = $38,457.

It's worth noting we could have got another $1,000 off the purchase price but then we'd be giving up the 0.9% financing. The numbers worked out that it was better to take the lower APR rather than the $1,000 off.

@DannoSpeaks Very interesting. A 2021 CX-5 at 35,505 while these guys are charging me 34K, but overall I end up paying same price as your at 38K for a 2020 model ! I dont know if they are trying to rip me off ...
@Sig cx-5 any comments?

@DannoSpeaks Very interesting. A 2021 CX-5 at 35,505 while these guys are charging me 34K, but overall I end up paying same price as your at 38K for a 2020 model ! I dont know if they are trying to rip me off ...
@Sig cx-5 any comments?
Your car has some added items that brought the MSRP higher, such as $600 in paint and $125 in floor mats (which I bought separately for a similar price).

I think you're being offered decent savings, however the question is do you want those add ons? If you don't, why would you pay for them? Do you need a red color for $600? Do you need sill guards? Would finding a similarly priced 2021 with fewer add ons be more worth it to you if you were to find a decent price?

It seems like that dealership has big fees too, that's kinda whack.

Have you been price shopping? Use Costco (if you have it), use Trucar, use your bank if they have a car buying service, and also most importantly shop around by emailing dealerships with your exact criteria you're looking for and ask for a price breakdown. Get financing arranged and tell them you are ready to make a purchase with the best deal available. Once they are competing with each other, numbers will fall a bit.

However, if your location is anything like mine - there isn't a ton of room for negotiation. These cars don't sit on the lot very long so there is little incentive to sell at a steep discount.

Your car has some added items that brought the MSRP higher, such as $600 in paint and $125 in floor mats (which I bought separately for a similar price).

I think you're being offered decent savings, however the question is do you want those add ons? If you don't, why would you pay for them? Do you need a red color for $600? Do you need sill guards? Would finding a similarly priced 2021 with fewer add ons be more worth it to you if you were to find a decent price?

It seems like that dealership has big fees too, that's kinda whack.

Have you been price shopping? Use Costco (if you have it), use Trucar, use your bank if they have a car buying service, and also most importantly shop around by emailing dealerships with your exact criteria you're looking for and ask for a price breakdown. Get financing arranged and tell them you are ready to make a purchase with the best deal available. Once they are competing with each other, numbers will fall a bit.

However, if your location is anything like mine - there isn't a ton of room for negotiation. These cars don't sit on the lot very long so there is little incentive to sell at a steep discount.
Great tips. Thanks @DannoSpeaks

First time poster here, thought I'd contribute some information from my search. This is from two dealerships in the Bay Area (east bay). These all have cargo mat / bumper cover / rails.

I have two initial offers for 2021 CX-5's.

2021 GT with PP in Pearl white:
  • MSRP $35,330
  • Your Exclusive Price $32,100
2021 GTR in dark blue
  • MSRP $36,860
  • Your exclusive Price $33,691
These are 8.5-9% discounted.

I also have two initial offers for 2020 models from another dealership.

2020 GT in dark blue:
  • MSRP: $33,560.00
  • Your Price: $29,177.00
2020 GT with Premium package in dark blue:
  • MSRP: $34,785.00
  • Your Price: $30,303.00
These are discounted 12.8 - 13%

What do you think my next move should be? These feel high, and I know I can go lower on the 2020s. I know it's not great to be exploring 4 different trims/years, but I wanted to see pricing before committing to a direction.

First time poster here, thought I'd contribute some information from my search. This is from two dealerships in the Bay Area (east bay). These all have cargo mat / bumper cover / rails.

• MSRP $35,330
2021 GTR in dark blue
  • MSRP $36,860

2020 GT in dark blue:

What do you think my next move should be? These feel high, and I know I can go lower on the 2020s. I know it's not great to be exploring 4 different trims/years, but I wanted to see pricing before committing to a direction.
Have you had them write up an out the door quote? You'll want to know what fees they are tacking on before making a decision.

Also, you are comparing two different model years. You'll need to decide if price is more important or if getting the latest model is more important.

Edit: Also consider the future resale of the vehicle. Assuming you will drive this car to X number of miles, the 2021 model will sell sightly higher than the 2020.

Last edited:

• MSRP $35,330
2021 GTR in dark blue
  • MSRP $36,860

2020 GT in dark blue:

I guess you first need to decide if you want the turbo and that might make it easier. For us, because of driving habits, we wanted the turbo for the extra power and will pay the gas penalty as it will likely be one of our last all gas cars.

The white paint costs $400 more due to the three stage paint, though not as much a as the machine grey or soul red.

To me no more dark colored cars because of chips and swirls. The finishes all get damaged, it is just what shows better after a few years...lighter colors tend not to be as hot in the summer, which may or may not be an issue for you

Last edited:
I would start by figuring out what you want.

I would start by figuring out what you want.

To expand on that..

@blake22, you're comparing two different MYs, different trims, possibly FWD/AWD, and different drivetrains. Since you didn't specify FWD/AWD and you live in California, are the non-turbo options you listed FWD?

What I would suggest: Figure out whether you want a 21 or a 20. Then figure out if you want the turbo or not. Then figure out if you want the Preferred Package or not. Once you've figured all that out, shop around for that specific config and compare prices.

To expand on that..

@blake22, you're comparing two different MYs, different trims, possibly FWD/AWD, and different drivetrains. Since you didn't specify FWD/AWD and you live in California, are the non-turbo options you listed FWD?

What I would suggest: Figure out whether you want a 21 or a 20. Then figure out if you want the turbo or not. Then figure out if you want the Preferred Package or not. Once you've figured all that out, shop around for that specific config and compare prices.
This is exactly right. It will be too tough to compare your offers when you're comparing apples and oranges. You may be able to find something that is priced so competitively that it makes you think your priorities, however that should be evident on the dealerships online prices. It's also rare in this market, since CX5's are not sitting on lots very long.

I am still pondering over my offer. I am in TN and the car is in FL. I am sure shipping might cost me $1000 unless I fly down there and drive it back (I might save like $700 at the cost of 1 day's driving, extra 900 miles on a new car and 1-way ticket ~ 150 ..I dont know if that's worth)
Since the dealer wont budge at all from the price. Either he is too confident of selling 2020's or bluffing, I cant say. Should I buy or wait until year end?

Thank you - I think you're right that it's very difficult to compare between model years especially. I initially asked for quotes on all of them, because I wanted to understand how deep of the discount to the 2020 was going to be. And I thought it would be a lot larger, to be honest. All of the cars have AWD.

My wife actually prefers the display size and touch of the 2020, but I prefer the responsiveness and clarity of the new one, as well as the better backup camera. So if the price difference is ~$1,800 I think I'd lean towards 2021.

As for the turbo - I made the mistake everyone on this board has warned against. I drove it last, out of curiosity, after driving the regular GT. It was much more fun to drive and now I'm finding myself trying to justify the cost! Part of my thought mirrors what an above poster said, this could be my last gas car ever. So why not make it fun?

In any case, I might push to see if there's an extra discount on the 2020s, but I'm doubting it because this dealer is the only one nearby with any in stock. With the 21s, there are 4 dealerships within 30 miles I can play off each other.

I am still pondering over my offer. I am in TN and the car is in FL. I am sure shipping might cost me $1000 unless I fly down there and drive it back (I might save like $700 at the cost of 1 day's driving, extra 900 miles on a new car and 1-way ticket ~ 150 ..I dont know if that's worth)
Since the dealer wont budge at all from the price. Either he is too confident of selling 2020's or bluffing, I cant say. Should I buy or wait until year end?

On the note of flying out to buy a car and driving it back - I would do it if it was worth my time. I'm not fortunate enough to be earning $700 USD a day on my current salary, so I would probably make the trip (assuming you won't have to quarantine when you come back), if it was the exact car that I wanted. The only hiccup I can foresee is driving a brand new vehicle 900 miles on the highway, where you'd likely be driving the car at the same speed/RPM for an extended period of time.

Additionally, I think I would only do this for used, rare, and/or hard to find cars. Again, if I didn't need a car right now and I couldn't get the deal I wanted on a 2020, I'd just wait. But that's my opinion, you need to make that decision for yourself.

On the note of flying out to buy a car and driving it back - I would do it if it was worth my time. I'm not fortunate enough to be earning $700 USD a day on my current salary, so I would probably make the trip (assuming you won't have to quarantine when you come back), if it was the exact car that I wanted. The only hiccup I can foresee is driving a brand new vehicle 900 miles on the highway, where you'd likely be driving the car at the same speed/RPM for an extended period of time.

Additionally, I think I would only do this for used, rare, and/or hard to find cars. Again, if I didn't need a car right now and I couldn't get the deal I wanted on a 2020, I'd just wait. But that's my opinion, you need to make that decision for yourself.
Thanks @sm1ke

You guys are awesome. I wanted to take a moment to express my heartfelt thanks to *** ALL *** of you ( I did not want to miss out somebody's hashtag) . We take somebody's time for granted but in this busy world, somebody is reading/assessing your post and offering their sincere advice based on their own experience which is worthy of a note of appreciation. (y)

It's been a while since I've bought a new car, and my negotiation skills are bit rusty. I got one quote for a GT + PP at 32,100, and sent it along to another dealership nearby to see if they could beat it.

His response after talking to his manager was:
If I can beat that price will we have a deal?

Best I can come up with is something like, "I can't commit to that as I haven't even seen what the offer is yet." But I'm not sure what else to say.

Any ideas?

It's been a while since I've bought a new car, and my negotiation skills are bit rusty. I got one quote for a GT + PP at 32,100, and sent it along to another dealership nearby to see if they could beat it.

His response after talking to his manager was:

Best I can come up with is something like, "I can't commit to that as I haven't even seen what the offer is yet." But I'm not sure what else to say.

Any ideas?
Don't let them pressure you. Plus you need to know the out the door price from both dealerships. Meaning, what fees are they tacking on top of the price they are quoting you? Have each dealership break it down. If there's anything surprising when you finally have a deal and are ready to sign, walk away.

Back