What did you pay for your CX-5?

New 2020 GT with PP, $29,906 + tax (6%), 31,695.92. No loyalty, military or other discounts, no trade in. How is that price?

Last edited:
Recently posted on Carsdirect:

Mazda is offering no payments for 90 days on new and used vehicles purchased through its new finance arm, Mazda Financial Services. Shoppers can combine the offer with rates as low as 0.9% APR for 60 months on models like the 2020 Mazda CX-5.

Current Mazda owners should also be aware that the automaker has doubled its loyalty discount to $1,500. Other noteworthy improvements include a full percentage point cut in financing rate for the all-new 2020 Mazda CX-30 from 1.9% APR to just 0.9% for 60 months.

Healthcare workers should be aware that Mazda is offering a $500 bonus in places like the Northeast.

Most offers end April 30 and may vary by region.

Is there a place that discusses Canadian prices paid?

All pricing should be in here, though it seems most posters are based in the US or in Canada. There are a few from other countries who have posted the USD equivalent of what they paid, I think.

Anyway, you can use the search tool and put in "CAD", "Canadian" or "Canada". Most of the Canadians here will use CAD or they will preface their post with one of the other terms in some way.

Hello from Colorado. Let me know what you think. Looking at AWD CX-5 touring with preferred package. Talked to just about every dealer here, and the best offer I'm getting is $28,800 (including all dealer fees, but not tax and title). That works out to about 6% off MSRP of $30,705, and 2.6% under dealer invoice for the car (they gave me the invoice). I will finance the car at 0% for 60 months.

Seems like an OK deal, but not a great deal. What do you think? I was thinking 7% to 8% under MSRP would be the target. All thoughts welcome, and I'll come back and post what I pay. Thanks!

That sounds terrible. Their sales numbers are probably rock bottom. Customers should be in demand. I'd assume more than 10% off.

Hello from Colorado. Let me know what you think. Looking at AWD CX-5 touring with preferred package. Talked to just about every dealer here, and the best offer I'm getting is $28,800 (including all dealer fees, but not tax and title). That works out to about 6% off MSRP of $30,705, and 2.6% under dealer invoice for the car (they gave me the invoice). I will finance the car at 0% for 60 months.

Seems like an OK deal, but not a great deal. What do you think? I was thinking 7% to 8% under MSRP would be the target. All thoughts welcome, and I'll come back and post what I pay. Thanks!

I would fight for a better deal. It may help if you're more open about the quotes you've received from other dealerships, especially given the situation we're in. As murky said, dealers will be hurting for customers and they'll eventually become desperate to make a sale. If you don't need the vehicle right now, tell them you're going to try and talk to a different dealer, or even suggest that you'll put the purchase on hold for now. That may force them to ask you "what'll it take for us to close the sale" and put you back in control of negotiations.

I personally think the worst time to buy a vehicle is when you absolutely need one. Patience is really important when it comes to negotiating the purchase price of a vehicle, IMO.

1% is only $300. Not much considering you are spending $28,800 with 0%. Over 60 months that is $5 per month. Hardly worth not buying it for that small difference. Or, make them an offer and leave if they say no. Wait for a call or you call always call them and accept it. They have to make a profit to stay in business.

Or wait till end of month and go back. Dealers are usually willing to sell lower to make a monthly quota.

Did you get quotes through email or from a salesman? I have always obtained my price through emails.

Good luck and let us know.

Last edited:
I'm thinking that no dealer is going to deep discount their way out of this because today's floor is tomorrow's ceiling; in other words, if they take 15% off today, that will be the forever minimum expectation.

It's also been my impresson that Mazda does not set a falsely high price so as to play the "It's on sale" game. I could be wrong. It's just my impression.

Personally I'm not convinced there will be significant savings. This is not the credit crunch downturn 2008-2010 was, the economy will rebound much quicker. If Mazda is offering a few months of no payments that likely will be as good as it gets.

Personally I'm not convinced there will be significant savings. This is not the credit crunch downturn 2008-2010 was, the economy will rebound much quicker. If Mazda is offering a few months of no payments that likely will be as good as it gets.

Umm lower prices are coming:

sure the article highlights GM & Ford (they are a LARGE portion of the overall market), but other manufactures can't avoid the same fate.. how much and how soon is the big bet.

Umm lower prices are coming:

sure the article highlights GM & Ford (they are a LARGE portion of the overall market), but other manufactures can't avoid the same fate.. how much and how soon is the big bet.
I read a similar article a couple of days ago when researching this issue, but the price drops were for used vehicles due to a glut.

I could not find anything regarding new.

I read a similar article a couple of days ago when researching this issue, but the price drops were for used vehicles due to a glut.

I could not find anything regarding new.
I've been watching prices since the quarantine started and here's what I think:

New cars (2020 models): supply is stable and new vehicles aren't being built. Dealers don't "own" this inventory so they don't have as great an incentive to unload.

Used, low mileage cars (2018/2019 models with less than 10k miles): I think this is where most of the deals can be found. These cars cannot be returned to the manufacturers and "cost" the dealer more for each day on the lot. Today (22-April) I would expect a 10% discount versus what the prices were at in early March (I saw a 2019 Mazda 3 with ~600 miles discounted by $2400 recently). These cars may not have hit bottom just yet.

I've been watching prices since the quarantine started and here's what I think:

New cars (2020 models): supply is stable and new vehicles aren't being built. Dealers don't "own" this inventory so they don't have as great an incentive to unload.

Used, low mileage cars (2018/2019 models with less than 10k miles): I think this is where most of the deals can be found. These cars cannot be returned to the manufacturers and "cost" the dealer more for each day on the lot. Today (22-April) I would expect a 10% discount versus what the prices were at in early March (I saw a 2019 Mazda 3 with ~600 miles discounted by $2400 recently). These cars may not have hit bottom just yet.

You're right on the relative Costs of Carrying. The only thing that takes the edge off it is the cost of cash these days...it's so daggone low.

Another pressure that was not discussed in the article is the likely increase in car loan defaults. It has a double-hit because declining used car values means that it's hardly feasible to repossess the lower-valued car, especially when there's already a glut. If prices drop more, I bet there's a chunk of owners who will drop the car off, walk away from their loans, then go up the street and buy a better, newer, cheaper car. The dealers who are sitting on inventory will do what it takes to move that inventory...their routine business model already includes high-risk borrowers.

Declining used values are also going to depress trade-in values and diminish new car sales. I wonder how the industry is gonna deal with that.

With all the great incentives right now I've decided to trade in my 2018 Touring AWD with PP and 26k miles for a 2020 GT AWD with PP in the dark blue so no added paint cost. Bought the 2018 with 0% and will be financing this with 0% APR as well.

Price with loyalty rebate - $30580
Trade - Net $1500
Doc - $394
Tax - $823
Fees - $298
Total OTD - $30596

Good deal? 1 other dealer came close but others refuse to match.

With all the great incentives right now I've decided to trade in my 2018 Touring AWD with PP and 26k miles for a 2020 GT AWD with PP in the dark blue so no added paint cost. Bought the 2018 with 0% and will be financing this with 0% APR as well.

Price with loyalty rebate - $30580
Trade - Net $1500
Doc - $394
Tax - $823
Fees - $298
Total OTD - $30596

Good deal? 1 other dealer came close but others refuse to match.

No dealer discount? 8% should be easy, 10% if you work it hard.

Back