What did you pay for your CX-5?

Off the lot. It had 4 miles on it. Whoops made a mistake, doc fee was 799. I'll edit that. Also probably not far from you.
That's a good price.
WB in Richmond?

I got very little off of list for my '19 Reserve, but I special ordered it.

That's a good price.
WB in Richmond?

I got very little off of list for my '19 Reserve, but I special ordered it.

Beyer in Winchester. Great to work with. I think all the dealers are probably trying to move anything they can. This was the price I was offered without a trade. Then I asked for a trade estimate and it was more than I expected. So this was a no-brainer for me.

Beyer in Winchester. Great to work with. I think all the dealers are probably trying to move anything they can. This was the price I was offered without a trade. Then I asked for a trade estimate and it was more than I expected. So this was a no-brainer for me.
Good deal.

These really are very nice cars. I hit my first year with mine and I still love it.
How do you like those paddle shifters?

Was thinking about upgrading my 16.5 GT to a turbo, so I sent out bid requests last week to 6 Metro Denver dealers that had Red or Blue Signatures in stock. Was very pleased with the low bid:
Sticker$38,695.00
Accessories$650.00
MSRP$39,345.00
Discount/rebates$6,105.5015.52%
D&H$599.00
Sale price$33,838.50
Tax & Title$2,605.90
All but plates$36,444.40

Dealer discounted 8%, and incentives were $1.5K general and $1.5k loyalty. Unfortunately, with the current situation, the wife is entirely too freaked to deal with this now, so we'll pass. (D'oh! Hurts to pass on a turbo at 15.5% off, but I do love my 16.5). Maybe if the incentives stay that high for April/May, I'll revisit after the stay at home orders are lifted.

To make the bidding go easier, I set up a google sheet on my google drive. I added desired units, MSRP, accessories etc. for each dealer and shared it with them to submit their bid. Of the six dealers, one refused to play (No discount!), 3 submitted using the sheets, and 2 sent their own quotes, which I entered my self.

After the initial round, I did a Best & Final round in which the low bidder did even better to win the competition. Template in xls format attached in case anyone finds this useful.

Attachments

• CX-5 Sig.zip
    4.1 KB · Views: 200
Last edited by a moderator:
Was thinking about upgrading my 16.5 GT to a turbo, so I sent out bid requests last week to 6 Metro Denver dealers that had Red or Blue Signatures in stock. Was very pleased with the low bid:
Sticker$38,695.00
Accessories$650.00
MSRP$39,345.00
Discount/rebates$6,105.5015.52%
D&H$599.00
Sale price$33,838.50
Tax & Title$2,605.90
All but plates$36,444.40
Wow!!

Of course, that loyalty discount is about 4% of that, but still....

What about trade in? Or are you not gonna?

So what are the odds of calming the Mrs. down? This is when opportunities exist.

Wow!!

Of course, that loyalty discount is about 4% of that, but still....

What about trade in? Or are you not gonna?

So what are the odds of calming the Mrs. down? This is when opportunities exist.

Never got to the point of getting the trade appraised. I usually go to CarMax to value the trade and keep em honest before talking to the dealer, but they’re shut down. KBB pegged it at $16.5, without considering the low mileage,dedicated snows, new Conti All-seasons, and 5.5 years/54k miles of $0 deductible Mazda extended warranty. Figure I could have swapped for <$20k. It sucks to miss it, but I’m hunkered down and not really willing to go out to get it.

No chance she’ll calm down this month, and who knows what next month’s incentives will be. She drives an 08 RAV4 with 105k miles and is determined to make 200k. Her last car was an old Volvo wagon she drove for 180k miles - said the piece of junk only made it 27 years LOL. I think I’m fighting a losing battle here.

Last edited:
No chance she’ll calm down this month, and who knows what next month’s incentives will be. She drives an 08 RAV4 with 105k miles and is determined to make 200k. Her last car was an old Volvo wagon she drove for 180k miles - said the piece of junk only made it 27 years LOL. I think I’m fighting a losing battle here.

You gotta respect that, though. I lost my 1990 Volvo sedan to a deer just 2k miles shy of getting its 200,000 mile badge and was pretty pi$$ed, so I get where she's coming from.

Cheap insurance + low property taxes = One Smart Lady

Last edited:
You gotta respect that, though. I lost my 1990 Volvo sedan to a deer just 2k miles shy of getting her 200,000 mile badge and was pretty pi$$ed, so I get where she's coming from.

Cheap insurance + low property taxes = One Smart Lady
I do, even if I loves me new cars. She’s the reason I have a comfortable retirement- I would’ve blown it all on wine, women, song and new cars if she wasn’t so tight-fisted.

My best hope is passing my 16.5 down to my 14 YO grandson, which was the original plan before I got wind of $3k incentives. She’s a doting Grandma and that’s her soft spot.

Last edited:
2020 Soul Red GT with premium package. $29,500 base price. They add a bunch of really weird "taxable fees" (not sales tax) totaling about $1,000 which I assume is just a sneaky way to make the base price seem lower than it actually is. I suppose the actual base price is probably $30,500. Good deal? Should I try to haggle more off of the base price and knock off some of these additional "taxable" fees?

2020 Soul Red GT with premium package. $29,500 base price. They add a bunch of really weird "taxable fees" (not sales tax) totaling about $1,000 which I assume is just a sneaky way to make the base price seem lower than it actually is. I suppose the actual base price is probably $30,500. Good deal? Should I try to haggle more off of the base price and knock off some of these additional "taxable" fees?
Make them justify that $1,000 if for no other reason than principal and honesty in the relationship...not in an aggressive way, but in a persistently inquisitive one.

Using your figures from before:

Used car: $25,000 @ 3.9% for 60 months = $468 per month
New car: $30,500 @ 0.9% for 60 months = $520 per month

So for an extra $52/month you can get a new, later model car without the "What's been done to this one" worry. I think you mentioned somewhere about putting money down. At 0.9% financing it does not make financial sense, but given today's rates of return, the "perfect" financial decision mostly has impact to the left of the decimal point. A $1,300 down payment would get you below the emotional threshold of $500/month. (Make it $2,000 to give yourself room for error and a $486 payment.)

So...post pics your new car when you get it!!!

ps: The only other cost items I'd throw out there are the incrementally higher insurance rates and property taxes (if your state has them) on the more expensive car. Probably not a big difference (first year's taxes in my state would be $100 more per year for the 2019), but it's there nonetheless. Just more picking at the fringes...

Last edited:
Make them justify that $1,000 if for no other reason than principal and honesty in the relationship...not in an aggressive way, but in a persistently inquisitive one.

Using your figures from before:

Used car: $25,000 @ 3.9% for 60 months = $468 per month
New car: $30,500 @ 0.9% for 60 months = $520 per month

So for an extra $52/month you can get a new, later model car without the "What's been done to this one" worry. I think you mentioned somewhere about putting money down. At 0.9% financing it does not make financial sense, but given today's rates of return, the "perfect" financial decision mostly has impact to the left of the decimal point. A $1,300 down payment would get you below the emotional threshold of $500/month. (Make it $2,000 to give yourself room for error and a $486 payment.)

So...post pics your new car when you get it!!!

How'd you know that was me?? I forgot my account password and had to hastily make a new one right now. Yeah, I think this is about as good a deal as I'm going to get right now. Could have gotten 29,500 if I used regular financing (3.9%) but I did the calculations and 0.9 saves me way more in the long run.

I really appreciate your input and advice. Many thanks!

How'd you know that was me?? I forgot my account password and had to hastily make a new one right now. Yeah, I think this is about as good a deal as I'm going to get right now. Could have gotten 29,500 if I used regular financing (3.9%) but I did the calculations and 0.9 saves me way more in the long run.

I really appreciate your input and advice. Many thanks!
For once being spacey made me look intelligent. I knew it was you all the time.

Good luck, bud!

For once being spacey made me look intelligent. I knew it was you all the time.

Good luck, bud!

Man, I spent weeks shopping and all of yesterday and today getting a deal together. Was with a salesman for hours and everything looked good until we got to the actual contract - which was $1000 more than the OTD price and invoice that I was provided with in the morning. I offered to pay $500, more but they told me to pound sand. It was their higher price or nothing. They ran a hard credit check on my social, I wasted hours of time and am furious. Anyone dealt with this before? I'm pretty sure I'm filing a complaint with my state's attorney general's office. I was worried about the scummy tricks of car salesmen and my experience has done nothing but confirmed that for me.

Man, I spent weeks shopping and all of yesterday and today getting a deal together. Was with a salesman for hours and everything looked good until we got to the actual contract - which was $1000 more than the OTD price and invoice that I was provided with in the morning. I offered to pay $500, more but they told me to pound sand. It was their higher price or nothing. They ran a hard credit check on my social, I wasted hours of time and am furious. Anyone dealt with this before? I'm pretty sure I'm filing a complaint with my state's attorney general's office. I was worried about the scummy tricks of car salesmen and my experience has done nothing but confirmed that for me.
That horribly sucks. Wait them out. But the issue then becomes that once someone has crapped on you, why would you want to then give them business if they do call up and retract?

Any other dealers "nearby" you can take that OTD number to and give them an immediate sale?

Regarding that credit check...just so you know, multiple inquiries like that within a given time period for the same type of purchase don't harm your rating. The bureaus understand that this is normal when car shopping. Not that the dealer's tactics don't suck...

That horribly sucks. Wait them out. But the issue then becomes that once someone has crapped on you, why would you want to then give them business if they do call up and retract?

Any other dealers "nearby" you can take that OTD number to and give them an immediate sale?

Regarding that credit check...just so you know, multiple inquiries like that within a given time period for the same type of purchase don't harm your rating. The bureaus understand that this is normal when car shopping. Not that the dealer's tactics don't suck...

I totally feel you and you're probably right. I don't want to give them my business. The managers I was talking to kept going on and on about how busy they were right now, but when I asked the salesman to be straight with me he confirmed that it's the worst month they've ever had. I'm just sick of their tactics.

Will definitely go and see if any other dealers are willing to get close. That is actually encouraging and I do appreciate the tidbit! I was steaming there for a minute when they were going on and on about their explanation about how much money they were losing on this deal so they shouldn't do it and how lucky I was to get it and how I shouldn't push my luck. Anyways, thanks for listening to my venting, I needed that.

Have a great day, stranger, and stay safe out there.

I totally feel you and you're probably right. I don't want to give them my business. The managers I was talking to kept going on and on about how busy they were right now, but when I asked the salesman to be straight with me he confirmed that it's the worst month they've ever had. I'm just sick of their tactics.

Will definitely go and see if any other dealers are willing to get close. That is actually encouraging and I do appreciate the tidbit! I was steaming there for a minute when they were going on and on about their explanation about how much money they were losing on this deal so they shouldn't do it and how lucky I was to get it and how I shouldn't push my luck. Anyways, thanks for listening to my venting, I needed that.

Have a great day, stranger, and stay safe out there.
Keep the faith, baby.

Whatever is meant to be shall be.

I'd rather pay more money to a dealer who treats me fair than grab a deal with one who played games with me. Money isn't worth the undue stress

Back