What did you pay for your CX-5?

@Mazda should make the customer cash the same across all trim levels, no reason for it to be less for the more expensive and profitable top trims.

It makes perfect business sense. You offer more incentive to a model you have a harder time selling.

I guess only Mazda knows the exact sales mix. Autotrader will show you the trim levels within 500 miles. Here's the Mid-Atlantic region (though the ratio is relatively similar nationwide), seems like dealers order the most of Touring and Grand Touring models.

HYcoV2q.jpg

Hey thank you everyone here!!!! The input were super helpful.
So finally bought CX5 touring AWD with PP in NYC.
MSRP:30435 including destination
Dealer discount:3085
Total OTD:27350+ taxes and fees
Doc fee was 75
Registration was 223
Plus some 20 bucks for tires and other fee
Our total was 29400 since we paid less taxes as we traded in our old civic.

After much negotiation I've found myself down to a handful of options. All but D would require me to take a full day+ trip out of state. Either of these sound sweeter than the other?

A: '19 GTR with <6k miles -- $29.9k = $32.5k after taxes/fees
B: '19 GTR with 20k miles -- $28.8k = $31k after taxes/fees
C: '18 GT with Premium (no Apple Carplay installed) <20k miles -- $24.5k = $26.7k after taxes/fees
D: '19 GT with Premium new -- $30.2k = $32.4k after taxes/fees

Last edited:
After much negotiation I've found myself down to a handful of options. All but D would require me to take a full day+ trip out of state. Either of these sound sweeter than the other?

A: '19 GTR with <6k miles - $32.5k after taxes, fees, etc.
B: '19 GTR with 20k miles - $30k after taxes, fees, etc.
C: '18 GT with Premium (no Apple Carplay installed) <20k - $26.7k after taxes, fees, etc.
D: '19 GT with Premium new- $32,406 after taxes, fees, etc.

Well first, I'd say you have to make up your mind for sure whether you want the turbo or not because you have two different options listed, one with turbo, one without.

It's also hard to tell what the real deal is actually considering everyone's taxes and fees are different. What are the selling prices of the vehicles listed?

Me, it's turbo or nothing now, so option C and D are quickly eliminated. Then, what is the interest rate on used vs new for you? Without knowing any of this, or any other info, I'm already leaning towards brand spanking new? Why is that not considered an option for you may I ask (although I see D is new, so why not on the GTRs)?

With all that said, for me, none, because I can get a brand new GTR here for less than A, but I'm sure my taxes are way lower than yours, along with a helluva dealer discount.

Last edited:
Well first, I'd say you have to make up your mind for sure whether you want the turbo or not because you have two different options listed, one with turbo, one without.
It's also hard to tell what the real deal is actually considering everyone's taxes and fees are different. What are the selling prices of the vehicles listed?
Me, it's turbo or nothing now, so option C and D are quickly eliminated. Then, what is the interest rate on used vs new for you? Without knowing any of this, or any other info, I'm already leaning towards brand spanking new? Why is that not considered an option for you may I ask (although I see D is new, so why not on the GTRs)?

The turbo question is the big problem, it will be my wife's M-F daily driver, but I'll be behind the wheel the rest of the time. If it was me, it'd 100% be the turbo. We're doing cash so interest rate isn't a factor and I'll edit the original w/ prices.

Regarding new vs used, I'm a drive into the ground type of guy (this is replacing an '02 Escape) so we'll be aiming to keep this for close to or more than 10 years, so its not a huge deal to me to save a few grand for one with a little milage on it.

FWIW, these are all AWD options, due to the winters we survive in Michigan.

Last edited:
The turbo question is the big problem, it will be my wife's M-F daily driver, but I'll be behind the wheel the rest of the time. If it was me, it'd 100% be the turbo. We're doing cash so interest rate isn't a factor and I'll edit the original w/ prices.

Regarding new vs used, I'm a drive into the ground type of guy (this is replacing an '02 Escape) so we'll be aiming to keep this for close to or more than 10 years, so its not a huge deal to me to save a few grand for one with a little milage on it.

FWIW, these are all AWD options, due to the winters we survive in Michigan.
I would do A, but not sure if you are eligible for any rebates. A would save me about $3K with no rebates.

C: '18 GT with Premium (no Apple Carplay installed) <20k miles -- $24.5k = $26.7k after taxes/fees

The one question I have is how price sensitive are you?

In my opinion the best two options are A) '19 GTR with <6k miles and C) '18 GT with Premium (no Apple Carplay installed) <20k miles

So my question for you is: what does the differential of $5,800 mean to you? Is it a non factor since you will hold on to the car forever? If so, get the extra fun of the like-new turbo for a couple extra dollars a month. Or is that $5,800 a new set of windows for your house? Or perhaps a much need vacation? If you can put it to better use elsewhere I encourage you to get the '18.

I did not select option B since the the $1,500 discount does not warrant an extra 14k in miles. I like to think of it as money well spent for an almost new vehicle.
I did not selection Option D since Option A is essentially the same thing as D, but without the fun of the Turbo.

Hope that helps!

Greetings! Just bought a brand new 2019 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD with PP in Sonic Silver. New member to this forum and this is my first post. Thanks to everyone who posted their quotes and comments. The sale was in Maryland (Baltimore area).

+ MSRP: $34,115.00 (includes delivery)
+ TTL and other fees: 6% taxes and other document fees
- Dealer discount: $3327
- Rebates: $750 (Mazda loyalty)
= Out the door: $32430

Also, got approved for 0.9% financing over 5 years! I'm very happy with the purchase.

PS: The wheels had wheel locks installed. So I guess that's another $60 less according to Mazda pricing. And the salesperson threw in 2 years oil change and tire rotation for free!

Last edited:

I bought a Sport AWD (leased actually) and have been throwing a few upgrades at it but if I was buying used, A all day long. You can always get Carplay installed at a dealer for ~400 if it is important to you. Reserve is the best bang for your buck if you want the turbo.

I think this is the car referenced. https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?listingId=531181084 It is one of the best priced GT-Rs in the country at the moment, other than the 27K one that the guy didn't bother to change the oil until 13,500 miles. I would think it would sell pretty quickly.

Here's my first "best deal" on a CX-5 GTR from a Phoenix area dealer.

I sent a dealer the following request:

MSRP: 36,615 (from the dealer's web site)
NO add-ons
8.5% Disc: -3112
8.1% sales tax: +2714
Doc & Lic: $499
OTD: $36,716

This is what I got back:
MSRP: 36,645
Dealer adds: +499 (crap I said I didn't want)
Disc: 1970 (5.3%)
Sales Tax: +2848,66
Doc fee: +499.90
Lic Fees: $615 (what?)
OTD: 38,575

I have 5 other dealers to request quotes from. Hope they get better.

Hold tight on your offer of 8.5%. I just got 8.2% ($3000) dealer discount before any cash back offer from Mazda. I did wait until the end of the month when they typically are hungry for total sale numbers.

They tried to to tell me it was below invoice. Then it was below the employee price. Then offered to meet me half way. Each time I said I wasnt willing to move on signing until I saw what I was asking for.

After we got to the price I wanted, then they started with finance games. They showed me a great rate Of 3% throughout the discussions. When I got to finance they said I had amazing credit (above 850) and could offer me a rate of 5%!!! It really pissed me off, and I called them out for bait and switch. I asked who would qualify for the 3% they were flashing around earlier, because if I didnt qualify, no one could and thats bait and switch.

Hold tight on your offer of 8.5%. I just got 8.2% ($3000) dealer discount before any cash back offer from Mazda. I did wait until the end of the month when they typically are hungry for total sale numbers.

They tried to to tell me it was below invoice. Then it was below the employee price. Then offered to meet me half way. Each time I said I wasn*t willing to move on signing until I saw what I was asking for.

After we got to the price I wanted, then they started with finance games. They showed me a great rate Of 3% throughout the discussions. When I got to finance they said I had amazing credit (above 850) and could offer me a rate of 5%!!! It really pissed me off, and I called them out for bait and switch. I asked who would qualify for the 3% they were flashing around earlier, because if I didn*t qualify, no one could and that*s bait and switch.

What a bunch of sleaze balls. This guy emailed me the invoice saying price was $500 below invoice. I told him I knew that meant nothing as I had worked selling Subarus for a year and knew how things really worked. Wouldn't budge, wouldn't remove the add-ons. Stuck to his guns and I told him thanks but I was moving on.

Just sent 3 more requests for quotes. We'll see what happens.

Back