What did you pay for your CX-5?

If your car is worth 10K then a 25 OTD for a Touring with PP (regular color) is a pretty good deal.
If your car is worth 12K then a 27 OTD for a Touring with PP is milquetoast.

If its an AWD with sticker of around 29.7 then 27K OTD deal is good as well. My extras were 1900 dollars so I am assuming similar ballpark - so its either
16% off msrp or 23.6% both seems good for AWD.

For FWD your discounts are 12% or 19% - total range of discounts is from 12 to 23.6% which is good in total - depends on how much the Van was worth/or whether car was FWD or AWD.
Its tougher to get the same discounts for Touring / Sport as GT - since dealers have more of GT and more room for discounts. But if you have hit 23.6% thats pretty much a record over here.

Your percentage number are way off...how you came up with these is baffling...23.6%, good lord, lol

Max sales tax in Indiana seems to be $375, similar to here. Even with the full 7% Indiana sales tax, the numbers are still way off...

Last edited:
Well just say $29k MSRP with a $12000 trade in. Brings total to 17000. We*ll say $3000 discount brings it to $14000, plus their fees and the $375 tax to get to $15k.

The % off MSRP would be $3k/$29k or 10.3%. Not bad, but definitely more can be achieved, especially if this was their original offer. They want that trade-in bc it*s a quick an easy highly profitable sell...

Let*s see if the tax I quoted is right and the MSRP and selling price quoted...OP?

23.6% ($6844) off $29k would have to be a selling price of $22156. That*s close to the disky I got on mine...

23.6% ($6844) off $29k would have to be a selling price of $22156. That*s close to the disky I got on mine...

23% assumed his car was worth $10k in trade in. Since that was ambiguous - anyhow GT usually deals a couple % more than Touring / Sport in terms of discounts.

Sigh... You're grating Nelson.
I try hard to never assume anything. If a car is worth 12 grand no dealer is giving you 12 for it, first of all. In order to make sure I'm not talking out of my ass, I like to look s*** up before I post. I went to KBB and it told me a good condition 2012 Odyssey with 100 k is worth at most $8500. I did that before I posted.
So, in the Cleveland Market where Odysseys are apparently not great with resale... It's a good deal.
We should wait for more info...

It was still in my Chrome history.
915efe94e8b32d5c750fcc627453388c.jpg

I did pick a mid range one... Maybe OP had the top of the line. Still doubt that pushes it to $12 but maybe...

Last edited:
Sigh... You're grating Nelson.
I try hard to never assume anything. If a car is worth 12 grand no dealer is giving you 12 for it, first of all. In order to make sure I'm not talking out of my ass, I like to look s*** up before I post. I went to KBB and it told me a good condition 2012 Odyssey with 100 k is worth at most $8500. I did that before I posted.
So, in the Cleveland Market where Odysseys are apparently not great with resale... It's a good deal.
We should wait for more info...

I did it before posting too and it told me $12k, that*s why I posted it. And they WILL give you $12k for it when that is what the TRADE-IN VALUE is...That means the dealer value is worth $15k+....

And I already said wait for more info...

Last edited:
23% assumed his car was worth $10k in trade in. Since that was ambiguous - anyhow GT usually deals a couple % more than Touring / Sport in terms of discounts.

It*s not even half that with the numbers you quoted. Your math is way off...

I did it before posting too and it told me $12k, that*s why I posted it. And they WILL give you $12k for it when that is what the TRADE-IN VALUE is...That means the dealer value is worth $15k+....
Ah, well then I apologize for assuming you didn't. When I saw 7,500 - 8,600 I assumed you did NOT look that up.
I've never had a dealer offer me what KBB said they should.

Last edited:
Appreciate the post Mortem analysis. Just to reiterate, fwd touring, blue, preferred package, 7% sales tax, 15,000 cash and my 2012 ex-l odyssey in good condition although Penske Honda called it poor. Carmax offered 11,000. Out the door. They punched up the scrapes and listed the van at 16,900 and sold it in three days not sure what that price was of course. So I figure they gave me like 13 grand for the van? That is to say 28,000 out the door would be a good price do you think? Wife is thrilled btw even though I think front seat of the cx5 is uncomfortable so thats a value add

About 10percent off. But then its a desirable trim. I would say you could have done better. Since used cars have more profit in it. Maybe 26.5 to 27 OTD.

-Mazda of Fredericksburg (they went to one pricing, but they*ll deal)
-Brown*s (any of them in the Va/DC area as there are numerous)
-Nucar Mazda in New Castle, DE

I did email quotes with these guys and the lowest any came back with was $29,345 from Nucar plus taxes, registration etc for the GT machine grey without premium package (MSRP $32,240). Seems high vs what others are getting, especially since I'm not adding premium package. Fredericksburg came back with $1k off MSRP (ha) and Brown's about the same. Holding out to see if any try to deal given it's nearing the end of the quarter and 19s will be in soon. Also tried Fitzgerald in Annapolis which came out to about $29,400 once you add the bogus "processing fee."

Drive out for 2018 CX-5, GT + Premium Package + FWD + TTL + TAX (6.25% Texas) =
$32650 @ 0.9% financing.

Is this a good deal?

Thanks.

Drive out for 2018 CX-5, GT + Premium Package + FWD + TTL + TAX (6.25% Texas) =
$32650 @ 0.9% financing.

Is this a good deal?

Thanks.

You are paying 30233 for the car. How much of a discount this is from MSRP? If the answer is under ten percent you can get better. I would target 12-15 percent.

Because Kaps is a bargaining Wizard. 10% is good for most of us mere mortals. ;)

Totally. Got my 18 Touring FWD (premium paint, no other add-ons) for just above $27k OTD in SoCal.

Used the Costco program with a dealer as a starting point. At the time the cx5 was set at $600 below invoice (could have changed). Went back and forth between 2-3 dealers to get the best price.

Last edited:
Got an internet quote for a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD + Premium package and a rear bumper guard , 11 miles on it , $30,999 + TT. The darker blue color with parchment interior.

Gonna go give it a look tomorrow. Also want to ask them about Android Auto upgrade. I've bought all my Mazda's from this dealer so I figure they will work with me.

Last edited:
Back