What did you pay for your CX-5?

Cx-5 gt

I ordered my black mica AWD Grand Touring on April 12 for $28,128. MSRP was $29,090 I was told 2 to 4 months before delivery.

New to the family - Picked up a Liquid Silver Touring w/ no extras for approx 200.00 above invoice. If I was patient, I could have gotten under invoice by a few bucks based on the deals they have, but finding a Touring without the bose/moonroof isn't that easy. The Costco Auto Program set me up with a dealer that would have sold it for 400.00 above invoice and would have included the 500.00 bonus for being a Mazda owner

EDIT: I want to be a little more clear now that I've looked over the paperwork again. When we originally did the talks, I was 20,700 cash + 5500.00 trade-in. That puts the total at 26,200.00 - right at what invoice + tax,title,registration would have been based on the DMV calculator. On my paperwork, they put the trade in as 5700.00 for a total of 26,400.00. I guess it made it work better for them?

Last edited:
I stopped in a dealer today and they claimed Mazda will be bumping up the MSRP by $800 in about 2 months, and they did that with the 3 by $400 last year. They said the price is lower for a few months to keep them moving and then they bump it up. Anyone know if this type of thing is true, or were they just blowing smoke (conveniently, I told them I'd be looking to buy in about 2 months)?

Last edited:
Don't worry about it too much - check out http://www.truecar.com/ <- You can find out factory invoice, dealer invoice, true price, and MSRP on any care based on how they've been selling. You can also pick all the items that you want + incentives, if there are any. I used that to base my bottom line.

I paid about the same... I got a sport m/t for $20,080 + dealer fee + sales tax = $20,800 out the door.
There was no trade involved, as I sold my car already on craigslist. There was no loyalty cashback last month when I bought.
The first time we talked numbers at the dealer, he wanted my car plus $4k (my Fusion was worth about $21.5k).
After a few weeks we got down to my Fusion+$3k, then ultimately $2,500.
By selling the Fusion myself, I was able to actually put money in my pocket after buying the CX-5.
It takes a lot of work to get the dealer down below invoice (yes, there is profit for them built-in to the invoice price).
I checked inventory online to see who had a CX-5 Sport m/t in stock.
I called other dealers within a 3 hr drive from me, and started a bidding war between them. When I got a price below invoice from one, I called my local dealer and gave him a chance to beat them (and save me a trip). Only then was he willing to make it happen.
It helped that I had bought from them before.

OJsButler I shop just like you do, but dealers here in MN, dont seem to budge one bit. They call it their "final/best/internet" price and arent willing to negotiate. True car says market average for this region is above msrp. I dont get that. I am not sure why they are being so stubborn.

In Ottawa, e-mailed bid request to all four city Mazda dealers this past Tuesday with assurance I would accept bids until end-of-business yesterday, review on weekend, and purchase from best offer Monday. Request included specific GT interior/exterior colour combination, as well as required options/accessories. Got responses from three. Lowest bid was 2844$ off list. Will visit that dealer Monday morning. The approach guaranteed to yield lowest price? Apparently not as a Toronto poster did 1200$ better than I. Still, the last time I negotiated a new car purchase was for my current vehicle in the fall of 1998 - and I wasn't going to do THAT again!

Brian

I bought a sky blue GT with the tech package, all weather mats, roof rack, wheel locks, cargo net and rear bumper guard. MSRP was $31,110, I paid $30,500. I had to wait almost 4 weeks for it to get here, have had it for 2 weeks now and I am absolutely LOVING it!

I signed a purchase agreement today. The drive away price (less license) is 39424.39 for a red GT with sand interior. Included in this total is Tech Package, winter liners, carpet mats, cargo tray, cargo cover, mud guards front and rear, rear bumper guard, trailer hitch and harness and touch-up pen. This is 2922.25 below MSRP. This is NOT the best deal realized by a Canadian poster to this thread, but was accomplished by requesting email bids from all local dealers while eliminating negotiation. It was painless. Requires factory order and delivery is expected in 10-12 weeks.

Brian

I signed a purchase agreement today. The drive away price (less license) is 39424.39 for a red GT with sand interior. Included in this total is Tech Package, winter liners, carpet mats, cargo tray, cargo cover, mud guards front and rear, rear bumper guard, trailer hitch and harness and touch-up pen. This is 2922.25 below MSRP. This is NOT the best deal realized by a Canadian poster to this thread, but was accomplished by requesting email bids from all local dealers while eliminating negotiation. It was painless. Requires factory order and delivery is expected in 10-12 weeks.

Brian

this is very very good deal. how did you manage to get so many accessories, I only able to get 2-3 items by going to dealer directly and they won't budge. =(
how do you do the online bidding? and which side of Canada you from? I have got to learn from you man for my family's next car =(

this is very very good deal. how did you manage to get so many accessories, I only able to get 2-3 items by going to dealer directly and they won't budge. =(
how do you do the online bidding? and which side of Canada you from? I have got to learn from you man for my family's next car =(

Firstly, according to this thread, you CAN get a better deal (at least in Toronto) through negotiation with a dealer. This is not the money-best route to go; but I am a terrible negotiator. To work this, you need to call all of the dealers in your city (four in Ottawa) to get e-mail contact information for sales. You then identify all of the desired particulars and generate a letter like that below and send it to all dealers.

Request for Bids

I am requesting bids for the purchase of a 2013 Mazda CX-5 GT. Bids must include an itemized breakdown of all elements included in the bid total. The bid total must represent a "drive away" price including but not limited to the costs of options, accessories, registration, plating, dealer's fees, all federal and provincial taxes and levies, and any associated labour costs.

Additionally, the bid must include the amount of the deposit required, its acceptable payment method, and a reasonable rather than optimistic delivery date. Note that this is a cash purchase which does not require financing. The bid will include and identify any dealer or manufacturer purchase incentives (such as free scheduled maintenance). I am current owner of a 2010 MX-5, VIN JM1NCxxxxxxxxxxxx.

This request for bids is being e-mailed to all Mazda dealers within the Ottawa City Limit. Bids will be accepted by e-mail until end-of-business Friday, May 25, 2012. They will be reviewed over the following weekend and a winner contacted Monday, May 28. The lowest package bid will be deemed winner. In the event of the winner subsequently identifying costs in addition to those included in the bid, the purchase process will cease and the next lowest bidder will be contacted.
In the event that any respondent expresses an interest in the disposition of the vehicle this purchase is replacing (see "Replaced Vehicle" below) then the awarding of the bid will be delayed so that any dealer can have the opportunity to assess the condition of the replaced vehicle. Disinterest in purchase of the replaced vehicle does not eliminate a bid from consideration.

The New Purchase
� Vehicle: 2013 Mazda CX-5
� Trim: GT
� Exterior Colour: ZEAL RED MICA
� Interior Colour: SAND LEATHER
� Packages: TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE
� Options and accessories:
o Floor trays
o Floor mats � carpet
o Cargo tray
o Cargo cover
o Mud flaps � front
o Mud flaps � rear
o Touch-up paint pen
o Rear bumper guard
o Trailer hitch (complete)
o Trailer light adapter
Replaced Vehicle

I have a 1999 Volvo S70. This car has 180,000 km, dealer maintenance records, manual transmission, is in good condition, rust-free, and with a leather interior also clean and in good condition. I have a current private offer of X,XXX$. If you believe it unlikely to be worth more to your dealership, then please do not consider this vehicle as part of your bid.

Questions can be e-mailed to me, Brian Amirault, at xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.ca

Note that I have no way of telling what accessories were "throw in", as I received bottom-line bids. Thus there may have been "free" carpet mats and some other accessory at a discount; although it is only the bottom line that counts. As for the bid responses. I had previously dealt with a salesman at my local dealer after first making clear my purchase strategy with which he had no problem. When after a test drive I assured him that this is the car and I would be generating a bid letter, he complained that this is unfair to him as he had invested time - possibly to no end. I never received from him a response to my bid. A second dealer responded with a bid of nearly full MSRP but a rider that if I bring in my lowest bid he would beat it by 500$. I could have saved an additional 500$ taking up this offer and changing the rules of the competition to the disadvantage of the other participants, but I thought this bid did not speak well to the dealer's opinion of my integrity or their own. I replied that the bid did not follow the rules, my ethics would not allow me to take advantage of the offer, and they were disqualified. The remaining two dealers submitted legitimate bids; both below MSRP and with a 600$ spread. I took the lower and arranged to go through the purchase process on the Monday afternoon. With the agreement signed I notified the other responders of the outcome, but not the value of the winning bid.

I have no idea if this approach will work in all markets and I do know that you CAN do better face-to-face. I also know that I can't. The amount I was able to reduce the MSRP by is still better than a poke in the eye with a pointed stick.

Brian

Firstly, according to this thread, you CAN get a better deal (at least in Toronto) through negotiation with a dealer. This is not the money-best route to go; but I am a terrible negotiator. To work this, you need to call all of the dealers in your city (four in Ottawa) to get e-mail contact information for sales. You then identify all of the desired particulars and generate a letter like that below and send it to all dealers.

Request for Bids

I am requesting bids for the purchase of a 2013 Mazda CX-5 GT. Bids must include an itemized breakdown of all elements included in the bid total. The bid total must represent a "drive away" price including but not limited to the costs of options, accessories, registration, plating, dealer's fees, all federal and provincial taxes and levies, and any associated labour costs.

Additionally, the bid must include the amount of the deposit required, its acceptable payment method, and a reasonable rather than optimistic delivery date. Note that this is a cash purchase which does not require financing. The bid will include and identify any dealer or manufacturer purchase incentives (such as free scheduled maintenance). I am current owner of a 2010 MX-5, VIN JM1NCxxxxxxxxxxxx.

This request for bids is being e-mailed to all Mazda dealers within the Ottawa City Limit. Bids will be accepted by e-mail until end-of-business Friday, May 25, 2012. They will be reviewed over the following weekend and a winner contacted Monday, May 28. The lowest package bid will be deemed winner. In the event of the winner subsequently identifying costs in addition to those included in the bid, the purchase process will cease and the next lowest bidder will be contacted.
In the event that any respondent expresses an interest in the disposition of the vehicle this purchase is replacing (see "Replaced Vehicle" below) then the awarding of the bid will be delayed so that any dealer can have the opportunity to assess the condition of the replaced vehicle. Disinterest in purchase of the replaced vehicle does not eliminate a bid from consideration.

The New Purchase
� Vehicle: 2013 Mazda CX-5
� Trim: GT
� Exterior Colour: ZEAL RED MICA
� Interior Colour: SAND LEATHER
� Packages: TECHNOLOGY PACKAGE
� Options and accessories:
o Floor trays
o Floor mats � carpet
o Cargo tray
o Cargo cover
o Mud flaps � front
o Mud flaps � rear
o Touch-up paint pen
o Rear bumper guard
o Trailer hitch (complete)
o Trailer light adapter
Replaced Vehicle

I have a 1999 Volvo S70. This car has 180,000 km, dealer maintenance records, manual transmission, is in good condition, rust-free, and with a leather interior also clean and in good condition. I have a current private offer of X,XXX$. If you believe it unlikely to be worth more to your dealership, then please do not consider this vehicle as part of your bid.

Questions can be e-mailed to me, Brian Amirault, at xxxxxxxxx@xxxxxxxx.ca

Note that I have no way of telling what accessories were "throw in", as I received bottom-line bids. Thus there may have been "free" carpet mats and some other accessory at a discount; although it is only the bottom line that counts. As for the bid responses. I had previously dealt with a salesman at my local dealer after first making clear my purchase strategy with which he had no problem. When after a test drive I assured him that this is the car and I would be generating a bid letter, he complained that this is unfair to him as he had invested time - possibly to no end. I never received from him a response to my bid. A second dealer responded with a bid of nearly full MSRP but a rider that if I bring in my lowest bid he would beat it by 500$. I could have saved an additional 500$ taking up this offer and changing the rules of the competition to the disadvantage of the other participants, but I thought this bid did not speak well to the dealer's opinion of my integrity or their own. I replied that the bid did not follow the rules, my ethics would not allow me to take advantage of the offer, and they were disqualified. The remaining two dealers submitted legitimate bids; both below MSRP and with a 600$ spread. I took the lower and arranged to go through the purchase process on the Monday afternoon. With the agreement signed I notified the other responders of the outcome, but not the value of the winning bid.

I have no idea if this approach will work in all markets and I do know that you CAN do better face-to-face. I also know that I can't. The amount I was able to reduce the MSRP by is still better than a poke in the eye with a pointed stick.

Brian

Hi Brian, this is a good idea so you don't need to feel pressure by dealership =(
so I am not sure if I understood the whole thing, so you mean you get a total discount of $2922 below MSRP, but you are not sure which of the accessories that you mentioned will be included "Tech Package, winter liners, carpet mats, cargo tray, cargo cover, mud guards front and rear, rear bumper guard, trailer hitch and harness and touch-up pen" correct? that's still a better deal though I think most of them don't budge much more than 500-700 dollars =(
So would even stick with sticker prices.

Water:

To be clear ('cause I don't think I was) the total savings was over the drive away MSRP cost including tax savings realized by a reduced retail price. The bottom line number did not have a breakdown of prices charged for individual accessories. Based on the "Build and Price" on the Mazda Canada website, another way to interpret the figures is to say that the car was offered with the Tech Package at 1000$ off and the named accessories were included at no extra cost. I get the accessories on my list included for that price.

The point of the exercise was to avoid dealer pressure until after the lowest available single-pass number was known. I had done my research. I did have a test drive. I had settled on the CX-5 as my next family hauler. Even if the numbers had been higher I would have selected the lowest bid and made the purchase; merely spent more money. The success of the process still depends on the willingness of local vendors to enter into it, and the integrity of the buyer evidenced by a willingness to see the process to conclusion regardless of the bids received. I would have done better by taking the lowest bid to the dealer offering to beat the lowest by 500$ rather than making a reasonable bid of his own. I may have done better by taking my business to a larger retail center like Toronto. The former would have been dishonest, while the latter would have failed to support local business.

You're damned if you do...

Brian

just went with the wife yesterday to buy her cx5 (sky blue fwd to my metro grey awd)

they really weren't budging from sticker other than our $500 loyalty
they barely keep the cars on the lot a week apparently and only get half a dozen or so at a time, so they weren't as eager to deal as when i bought mine almost 2 months ago, but they found that there was on the boat assigned to their inventory that was what the wife was looking for so they didn't have to search around
eventually got them to come $250 off sticker plus deals on accessories, the final tally was

sky blue touring fwd
bose/moonroof
tech pack
splash guards (installed)
cargo tray (heavy rubber one)
cargo cover
window vent visors (un-installed)
$26745 plus tax/tags/fees before the 'loyalty' discount and down payment, no trade in

so its on the boat, due into port jersey on the 14th, so hopefully have it about a week after that
i remember someone somewhere on here saying they could track their cars progress online, i asked the salesperson and she gave me that confused head tilt look
so does anyone know how you go about that? i like our dealer but they're a lil slow on the communication front and we need to time the cx5's pickup well so we can take the wifes old junker to a friend we're selling it too

I was quoted 27858 for a Zeal Red CX5 FWD GT with Tech Package. That does not include T+T and T. That price was made up of the S-Plan and 500 dollars loyalty.

Last edited:
Local dealer is not discounting the CX-5 currently and I don't expect many dealers would right now. My dealer doesn't hit you with outrageous fees however, which is how others have thought they were getting a big discount.... only to have that amount added back to the deal in the form of hundred$ in "dealer fees", etc. Also, my local dealer is not trying to mark up above MSRP as some are doing, so they are simply being fair for a hot selling 2013 while still in the 2012 model year.

Because I do business with this particular dealer, I did get mine for pretty close to invoice price... $500 below MSRP. That only leaves the dealer about 300 and change above their cost. But they would not have given me the $500 off if I didn't have some connections there. If I didn't snag it when I did, it might have lasted a day or two at most. Two red ones came off the truck the day I looked at mine and they were both gone a couple days later.

Mine was a Touring FWD AT, MSRP $24,690 -$500 and -$500 loyalty = $23,690 plus $99 fee and TTL (around $1475) so the total out the door with 5% tax was just over $25k

Back