What did you pay for your CX-5?

I get that it’s a crazy market and that used vehicle prices are inflated, even when compared to new offerings. The example I showed was an apples to apples comparison of 2021 models with just differing trims. Just found it odd that one that stickered for so much lower ends up being more expensive than the top trim.

Attachments

• 18EBAA7B-B784-4491-924A-216C9A19D59F.png
    18EBAA7B-B784-4491-924A-216C9A19D59F.png
    69.2 KB · Views: 160
  • C05CF9E3-B433-42E3-A83B-0974CD8AC20D.png
    C05CF9E3-B433-42E3-A83B-0974CD8AC20D.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 152
I get that it’s a crazy market and that used vehicle prices are inflated, even when compared to new offerings. The example I showed was an apples to apples comparison of 2021 models with just differing trims. Just found it odd that one that stickered for so much lower ends up being more expensive than the top trim.
Yeah, those 2 prices are way out of line with reality. Shop a different dealer...

The Sig is lower mileage too. I wonder if it has some damage or wear that isn't immediately visible. Or maybe it's been through a big repair/repaint.

Price gouging at its finest by a Mazda dealer here in SoCal. Very deceptive practices used as well. Ended up paying $5,000 above MSRP.

What bothers me more is the Finance Manager at the dealership deceptively jacked the price much higher than what was agreed with the salesman. Not sure whether there's any way to legally claw back the overpayment. Contract was signed but supposedly not enforceable if there's fraud involved. It's a shame that one of the biggest Mazda franchise in SoCal is conducting their business this way.

What bothers me more is the Finance Manager at the dealership deceptively jacked the price much higher than what was agreed with the salesman. Not sure whether there's any way to legally claw back the overpayment. Contract was signed but supposedly not enforceable if there's fraud involved. It's a shame that one of the biggest Mazda franchise in SoCal is conducting their business this way.
If I were you, I would have walked out the door of the finance manager.
Take BS from no one. No need to get mad or argue. Just vote with your feet.
In SoCal, have you tried Bakersfield?
It pays to shop from a remote dealer...

You're not really serious are you? Tell me you didn't buy the car PLEASE.

Dealer was remotely located, an hour from downtown LA, supposedly the largest in SoCAL. Yes, should have walked away or double-check the agreement T&Cs on Finance Manager's iPad. The dealer didn't bother sending a printed copy of the contract. Had to call them repeatedly.

Dealer was remotely located, an hour from downtown LA, supposedly the largest in SoCAL. Yes, should have walked away or double-check the agreement T&Cs on Finance Manager's iPad. The dealer didn't bother sending a printed copy of the contract. Had to call them repeatedly.
So you really did buy the car? You didn't read the amount you were agreeing to paying before signing? OMG. You are out of luck unless you want to pursue calling the GM and owner and threatening them with bad publicity if they don't unwind the deal and/or rewrite the contract with the price you ACTUALLY agreed upon with the salesperson. I'm honestly dumbfounded.

In my mind the price of the car was what the salesman and assistant sales manger quoted me. The finance manager apparently used an entirely different amount. The "contract" was presented in convoluted pieces over an iPad, not typed is a piece of paper that's easy to decipher. When I went in to the finance manager's office, it was to discuss whether to take the extended warranty and get the paperwork squared away. No idea that the agreed selling price of the car was being changed.

In my mind the price of the car was what the salesman and assistant sales manger quoted me. The finance manager apparently used an entirely different amount. The "contract" was presented in convoluted pieces over an iPad, not typed is a piece of paper that's easy to decipher. When I went in to the finance manager's office, it was to discuss whether to take the extended warranty and get the paperwork squared away. No idea that the agreed selling price of the car was being changed.
Well, that's a hard lesson learned.

Next time, I don't care if somebody puts in front of you a stone table down from Mt. Sinai. Take the time to read the contract in detail before signing your John Hancock. And that does not apply to just cars. The iPad begs the question of what how you actually signed. Did he put a printed contract in front of you? I would demand a print out if it was not offered.

Had it been a used car, I believe California would allow you to return it and void the contract within 2 days of the purchase.

Last edited by a moderator:
Price gouging at its finest by a Mazda dealer here in SoCal. Very deceptive practices used as well. Ended up paying $5,000 above MSRP.
How much over the 'agreed upon price' did you pay? Telling us it was $5,000 over MSRP does not tell us anything, especially if you agreed to $4,900 over MSRP.

Maybe you're looking at the total of payments, which would include Interest, on the final sales contract?

FWIW, and I don't know if it makes anyone feel better, I called some Hyundai dealers and asked about the Santa Cruz Limited (top-o-the-line) - all dealer are adding market adjustment of at least $2,000, AND adding $2,000 for the dealer added the package, and adding the dealer package even on their used cars - not dealer added factory accessories, but that tint/wax/door trip/etc crap that you can buy for $400. - so minimum $4,000 over MSRP. Now, that's for a car that that is scheduled for arrival in April on a hot model.

Moral of the story, If a dealer wants "only" MSRP on a new Mazda, it's not that terrible.

Or, if shopping for a used car, Carmax may end up selling a used car for $1,000's less than a dealer is selling a used car

Too bad not very many people do private party sales anymore.

Latest posts

Back