What did you pay for your CX-5?

@ZoomZoom and The Player11 ...Well, I eeked out another $100! So, sales price is now $28,300, less $1,000 incentive is $27,300. Awesome, given the circumstances and my region (NY). Great advice about cancelling the pencil document and getting a refund. Great advice also about negotiating tactics in the evil world of new car dealers. At the end of the day, I saved over $600 thanks to your collective wisdom. Thanks to you both.

No problem, Joe. Glad to help. At the end of the day, $600 is $600. Pays for my insurance. Lol

Make sure you get that full tank of gas for the ride home, too. Haha

Had a dealer follow up with me today with a good offer finally, think we're going to take it.

2019 CX-5 Touring AWD no P/P
MSRP: $29,060
Discount: $2060
Mazda Rebate Standard APR: -$1,500
Doc fee $599
Tax: $2185

Total OTD: $28,285

I leveraged this deal against the other dealers in CO and did a bit better. Got the same deal without any doc fee (or with it and the car priced down, I don't care how they do the paperwork!) from a different dealership. We're going to go sign on Wednesday as it's about 1.5hr drive for us each way.

Now I'm excited! I'm sure there will be folks telling me we left money on the table, but this has been 2 weeks of grinding away in emails with 6 different dealers. I am so over that part.

Neither dealer wanted to give me $3500 for my 08' Acura TSX with some hail damage (109k miles). Off to craigslist next to deal with that... think I can pull $4200 fairly easily.

Last edited:
I leveraged this deal against the other dealers in CO and did a bit better. Got the same deal without any doc fee (or with it and the car priced down, I don't care how they do the paperwork!) from a different dealership. We're going to go sign on Wednesday as it's about 1.5hr drive for us each way.

Now I'm excited! I'm sure there will be folks telling me we left money on the table, but this has been 2 weeks of grinding away in emails with 6 different dealers. I am so over that part.

Neither dealer wanted to give me $3500 for my 08' Acura TSX with some hail damage (109k miles). Off to craigslist next to deal with that... think I can pull $4200 fairly easily.

How much better did you do?

How much better did you do?

$600, exact same deal as I posted just with a $0 doc fee instead of $599.

$29,060 MSRP
-$2,060 dealer discount
-$1,500 mazda rebate
+$2,185 tax

We'll be out the door at $27,685 on Wednesday.

Looks like you and I got just about the exact same deal once you factor in the $1,300 PP that I didn't get.

Not looking forward to paying the high registration fees that come with a newer car again here in CO. Probably going to be that $600 we saved... CO rapes you on registering for the first 4ish years.

Last edited:
[QUOTE

Not looking forward to paying the high registration fees that come with a newer car again here in CO. Probably going to be that $600 we saved... CO rapes you on registering for the first 4ish years.[/QUOTE]

Isnt that the truth. After you go through all the purchase and taxes you get hit up with property tax. For me it was around $600 with my new tag.

Here*s what I wound up with (Southern NJ):

2019 Signature (Deep Blue Mica):

Price: $35,037 (MSRP: $37,935)
Fees: $145
Doc Fees: $409.50
Taxes: $1,831.58
Loyalty Rebate: -$750
Out the door: $36,673.08

I think some of you in Texas or Midwest areas got better deals. I was happy with my price and even more so with our dealership (this is the 4th new car we purchased there in 10 years).

$600, exact same deal as I posted just with a $0 doc fee instead of $599.

$29,060 MSRP
-$2,060 dealer discount
-$1,500 mazda rebate
+$2,185 tax

We'll be out the door at $27,685 on Wednesday.

Looks like you and I got just about the exact same deal once you factor in the $1,300 PP that I didn't get.

Not looking forward to paying the high registration fees that come with a newer car again here in CO. Probably going to be that $600 we saved... CO rapes you on registering for the first 4ish years.

Yep, looks like we got just about the same deal at virtually opposite ends of the country. At this point, I'm happy with my deal, particularly with an extra $600 in my pocket. Also, there comes a point where you just can no longer put up with emailing or contacting dealers. Congrats on your new ride! Enjoy it, and drive it in good health.

this has been 2 weeks of grinding away in emails with 6 different dealers. I am so over that part.
That's the secret that no one has mentioned. I did mine over three days, but that was three full time days. What a pain. But it pays off.

You'll never, ever get a good deal on your trade from a dealer. Craigslist will get you the most money... if you can deal with the hassle.

Another possibility to consider is selling it on consignment thru a used car dealer. That's what we did, and made 35% more than the best offer from a dealer.

That's the secret that no one has mentioned. I did mine over three days, but that was three full time days. What a pain. But it pays off.

You'll never, ever get a good deal on your trade from a dealer. Craigslist will get you the most money... if you can deal with the hassle.

Another possibility to consider is selling it on consignment thru a used car dealer. That's what we did, and made 35% more than the best offer from a dealer.

I had the same thought regarding consignment, figured my car might be a good fit for that. I know with my car to a new car dealer it's borderline an auction car rather than something they'd try and sell on the lot. This would be a nice vehicle for a used car lot though I think. My only real concern there is how long it would take to sell and I'd have to carry insurance on both cars for awhile. I think I might be able to sell it quicker myself on CL at a lower price. I think for now I'll try craigslist for a week or two before considering the consignment angle.

I had the same thought regarding consignment, figured my car might be a good fit for that. I know with my car to a new car dealer it's borderline an auction car rather than something they'd try and sell on the lot. This would be a nice vehicle for a used car lot though I think. My only real concern there is how long it would take to sell and I'd have to carry insurance on both cars for awhile. I think I might be able to sell it quicker myself on CL at a lower price. I think for now I'll try craigslist for a week or two before considering the consignment angle.

We sold in a week. Lucky, perhaps.

Ok, I think I just got a deal on the clone of my totaled 2019 GTR. I made an offer & just got an email from the salesperson that they'll accept it. I'll post the details once I put the deposit down tomorrow.

why not shop that offer?

I did. I got prices from 7 dealers, ran my offer by them & nobody else would match it.

2019 Grand Touring Reserve (Replacement clone for my totaled 2019 GTR)

$35,915 MSRP
- $3165 Dealer Discount
- $ 500 Customer Cash
- $ 750 Owner Loyalty
+$ 1890 Tax
+$ 300 Doc, Reg, Plate
$33,690 OTD

Local dealer has it in stock & every day I drive the rental is costing me money.

Last edited:
I did. I got prices from 7 dealers, ran my offer by them & nobody else would match it.

$35,915 MSRP
- $3165 Dealer Discount
- $ 500 Customer Cash
- $ 750 Owner Loyalty
+$ 1890 Tax
+$ 300 Doc, Reg, Plate
$33,690 OTD

Local dealer has it in stock & every day I drive the rental is costing me money.
Sweet deal

$35,915 MSRP
- $3165 Dealer Discount
- $ 500 Customer Cash
- $ 750 Owner Loyalty
+$ 1890 Tax
+$ 300 Doc, Reg, Plate
$33,690 OTD

Great deal. Local, too!
Insurance isn't covering the rental?

Great deal. Local, too!
Insurance isn't covering the rental?
Insurance covered the rental for a month & because I had a CX-5 they paid for an comparable SUV rental. They paid for rental until 10 days beyond date I was given settlement numbers. It just took almost 2 weeks for them to pay off balance on totaled vehicle until I received my check for the balance.
Once I had to start paying for rental myself I switched to cheaper small car.

Not bad getting the loyalty cash, especially if your new Mazda was your first Mazda!

I got loyalty cash because I'm replacing totaled CX-5. When I bought the first CX-5 I got loyalty cash on that one too because my son has a Mazda 3 & resides at our address while he's in college. It's transferable within same household.

I am currently talking to a number of dealers in Colorado, and so far this is the best pricing I*ve gotten. Still looking for more, but here is where I am at:

2019 Grand Touring Reserve (prefer Deep Crystal ext./Parchment int.)

$ 36,450 Given MSRP ($35,915 + $535)
- $ 2,970 Dealer Discount
+$ 699 Dealer Fee
+$ 2,845 Tax
+$ 27 Gov Fees
- $ 1,500 Mfg Rebate

$ 35, 593 OTD

It looks like meow_man got a great deal. I am not eligible for the loyalty cash, and my local taxes are about $1,000 higher, so I don't feel like I am far off considering those two adjustments. I also need to get clarification on the inflated MSRP cited by the dealer - the model I am looking for doesn't need any extras, and I want a standard paint color.

Has anyone had luck getting both the 0.9% special APR and a discount comparable to the $1,500 rebate (on top of the initial dealer discount)?

Back