What did you pay for your CX-5?

I've read some of the discounts posted for the month of May, and I'm sad to say that I'm not getting anything near as good. So far, the best I'm getting on a GTR is $1100, basically 3%, and $600 discount on the Carbon edition Turbo. I'm waiting to hear from a couple of dealers, but what I'm finding is that the inventory is very low on these cars. I feel like I don't have much bargaining power at all. I'm in Austin, TX.
Have you tried Truecar certificates? I tried it and it gave me certificates for 4 dealers. One certificate gave me $2,300 off directly. It might give you different price due to your location but it’s better to just ask dealers. You could start there to negotiate. They all said low inventory but both dealers I am talking too have over 100 CX-5 in inventory.

Check dealers in Dallas, Houston and San Antomio. An easy drive to pick up your new car.
I tried San Antonio, and few others outside of Austin. I checked Houston dealer websites and some Dallas and their inventories are very low. It appears to be a waste of time. I was hoping to get a competitive offer to bring to the local dealer, but so far no luck.

Have you tried Truecar certificates? I tried it and it gave me certificates for 4 dealers. One certificate gave me $2,300 off directly. It might give you different price due to your location but it’s better to just ask dealers. You could start there to negotiate. They all said low inventory but both dealers I am talking too have over 100 CX-5 in inventory.
Thank you. I actually started with Truecar, and then read that many get do better than Truecar, so I asked the local dealer for a price, not mentioning TrueCar and it came in a little lower, but mostly with different fees. So far, the pricing isn't much different between the 2. Put it this way, all the dealers I've looked at in several cities have a max of like 4 GTR's, some just 1 or none. Same for the Carbon Edition, some have many, and some have none.

Should probably post this here instead.
I just got a few initial offers for OTD prices in my area (DFW) for the 2021 Signature trim - $42K and another at $39K. Decided not to make any counter offers without research.
Any idea what should be a reasonable discount range from MSRP. The MSRP ranges seem to be in $38500 to $39000 range.
Possibly worth mentioning that the $39K offer came from someone who reached me via Truecar. Meanwhile their dealership's listed MSRP is $39K, with $2.5K in "dealership discounts" to make $36.5K.

Thank you. I actually started with Truecar, and then read that many get do better than Truecar, so I asked the local dealer for a price, not mentioning TrueCar and it came in a little lower, but mostly with different fees. So far, the pricing isn't much different between the 2. Put it this way, all the dealers I've looked at in several cities have a max of like 4 GTR's, some just 1 or none. Same for the Carbon Edition, some have many, and some have none.
Just purchased my CX-5 GT with PP soul red. As a buyer, you don’t need to care how many cars they have in stock. Dealer will try to sell as many and as quick as they could. They tell you those and try to make you pay more. The dealer I bought the car only has one the trim & package & color in stock I wanted but they took my offer. Don’t let them take advantage from you by “limited availability”.

Just purchased my CX-5 GT with PP soul red. As a buyer, you don’t need to care how many cars they have in stock. Dealer will try to sell as many and as quick as they could. They tell you those and try to make you pay more. The dealer I bought the car only has one the trim & package & color in stock I wanted but they took my offer. Don’t let them take advantage from you by “limited availability”.
So, the question is what offer to make them? :)

Yeah that's the game. Hope you didn't give in and buy that crap.

Anyone else reading, buy the CAR ONLY from the dealer. Everything else can be purchased cheaper after.
I didn't. Thanks to the advice from cz5gt and Sig cx-5, I told the dealer I am serious to purchase it and asked him to remove those add-ons. He agreed and we had the deal. The funny thing is - when I went to the dealer site, I saw the car, it's still in the original wrapping plastic from Japan... No way the dealer already "installed" those add-ons, at least the exterior coating... So I guess he was trying to get more profit. I got the 3M door edge guard and the clear rear bumper protector for free (either from Mazda mfg or dealer, but I didn't pay a penny).

Hello, I found a lot of useful information from here and got valuable price info and advice from other members. I want to share my purchase experiences here.

I wanted to purchase a red CX-5 GT with PP in South CA. I contacted a dealer and got my first quote, 8% off MSRP. I also went to Truecar to get some certificates. I finalized the deal through emails with one dealer (80 miles away), and have another one as the backup in case the car from the first dealer was sold (100 miles away). But the dealer I tried to purchase from was not very responsive. I sent them emails and they didn't reply in 2 days. At the same time, a local Mazda dealer (10 miles away) approached me asking if I could give them a call. I didn't work with the local dealer at the beginning because they gave me an $800 /2.3% off MSRP Truecar certificate... so I deleted it. I emailed back to the local dealer since it won't hurt to write few emails. Surprisingly, after few rounds of emails, he matched the price from other dealers. He gave me a reasonable quote but added two add-ons. Exterior coating $399 and 3M door edge guard $495. I told him I don't want to get those add-ons and asked him to remove those from the quote. He said those were already "installed" and can't be removed. However, he could give me a discount so $690 for those two add-ons. I never purchased dealer add-ons so I asked for help from here. I got some good advice. The second day I emailed him back and told him I will purchase the car if he removes those. He said ok, I will remove those... So it's a good deal for me since I saved one day of driving and the price is actually better than the other dealers. I went to the local dealer, spent 3 hours finishing all paperwork, and got the car. I also declined the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty of 9 years or 100,000 miles. It was a hard call since the price was very reasonable, for only $2,200. But I don't know if I will keep the car that long so I turned it down.

So for the Soul red CX-5 GT with PP, I chose 0.9% financing instead of additional saving.
MSRP: 33,955
Sale price: 31,175 (8.2% from MSRP, $2,780 off which included $750 loyalty)
Doc Fee: $85
Sales taxes: $2,500
Lic and fees: $477
OTD price: $34K with 0.9% financing, $0 down.

Lessons learned:
1. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the dealers because of "the chip shortage" or "limited availability". All 3 MAZDA dealers I worked with had only ONE red CX-5 GT with PP in stock but they were all willing to negotiate.
2. Don't buy dealer add-ons. In my case, I got the door edge guards and rear bumper protector for free. I guess those were from MAZDA manufacture?

Hello, I found a lot of useful information from here and got valuable price info and advice from other members. I want to share my purchase experiences here.

I wanted to purchase a red CX-5 GT with PP in South CA. I contacted a dealer and got my first quote, 8% off MSRP. I also went to Truecar to get some certificates. I finalized the deal through emails with one dealer (80 miles away), and have another one as the backup in case the car from the first dealer was sold (100 miles away). But the dealer I tried to purchase from was not very responsive. I sent them emails and they didn't reply in 2 days. At the same time, a local Mazda dealer (10 miles away) approached me asking if I could give them a call. I didn't work with the local dealer at the beginning because they gave me an $800 /2.3% off MSRP Truecar certificate... so I deleted it. I emailed back to the local dealer since it won't hurt to write few emails. Surprisingly, after few rounds of emails, he matched the price from other dealers. He gave me a reasonable quote but added two add-ons. Exterior coating $399 and 3M door edge guard $495. I told him I don't want to get those add-ons and asked him to remove those from the quote. He said those were already "installed" and can't be removed. However, he could give me a discount so $690 for those two add-ons. I never purchased dealer add-ons so I asked for help from here. I got some good advice. The second day I emailed him back and told him I will purchase the car if he removes those. He said ok, I will remove those... So it's a good deal for me since I saved one day of driving and the price is actually better than the other dealers. I went to the local dealer, spent 3 hours finishing all paperwork, and got the car. I also declined the extended bumper-to-bumper warranty of 9 years or 100,000 miles. It was a hard call since the price was very reasonable, for only $2,200. But I don't know if I will keep the car that long so I turned it down.

So for the Soul red CX-5 GT with PP, I chose 0.9% financing instead of additional saving.
MSRP: 33,955
Sale price: 31,175 (8.2% from MSRP, $2,780 off which included $750 loyalty)
Doc Fee: $85
Sales taxes: $2,500
Lic and fees: $477
OTD price: $34K with 0.9% financing, $0 down.

Lessons learned:
1. Don't be afraid to negotiate with the dealers because of "the chip shortage" or "limited availability". All 3 MAZDA dealers I worked with had only ONE red CX-5 GT with PP in stock but they were all willing to negotiate.
2. Don't buy dealer add-ons. In my case, I got the door edge guards and rear bumper protector for free. I guess those were from MAZDA manufacture?
Congrats on the purchase. Your effective discount was $2,030 which is 6% because the loyalty rebate is neither a dealer discount nor a result of a negotiation. You still did pretty good in my opinion.

Hello everyone, i am planning to buy mazda cx-5 touring 2021 AWD model. I live in North Jersey area and enquired from few dealers nearby. The maximum discount they offered me over phone was $1000 on MSRP. Can anyone suggest me how much discount i can expect?

Hello everyone, i am planning to buy mazda cx-5 touring 2021 AWD model. I live in North Jersey area and enquired from few dealers nearby. The maximum discount they offered me over phone was $1000 on MSRP. Can anyone suggest me how much discount i can expect?
If they offer you $1000 off over the phone, you can get another $1000 in person, but there will be a catch. They will try to recoup their "losses" though by including door edge guards and other BS items.

Congrats on the purchase. Your effective discount was $2,030 which is 6% because the loyalty rebate is neither a dealer discount nor a result of a negotiation. You still did pretty good in my opinion.
Thanks. Yes, I think the deal is good because I chose 0.9% financing over another $1000 off as cash price. The interest over 5 years is only $750, will use that for investment :)

Lessons learned:
Ad to this... -

don't use TrueCar as the bible. Take that Truecar offer to another dealer for an even better deal. Oh, and look how this Truecar ended up being almost full MSRP after the add-ons to the "Your Offer" price, so negotiate those extras off the price. I took this to another dealer and got another $700 off the "You Offer" price. - Full discosure, this was on a 2020 Signature in April of 2020 so no panemic pricing yet
Truecar offer.png

Ad to this... -

don't use TrueCar as the bible. Take that Truecar offer to another dealer for an even better deal. Oh, and look how this Truecar ended up being almost full MSRP after the add-ons to the "Your Offer" price, so negotiate those extras off the price. I took this to another dealer and got another $700 off the "You Offer" price. - Full discosure, this was on a 2020 Signature in April of 2020 so no panemic pricing yetView attachment 298974
Agreed! In the past years, Truecar's price is more and more on the dealer's side. I will show that in the screenshots below. When I tried Truecar on CX-5 this year (didn't use it for my last two auto purchases at all), it gave me 3 certificates from different dealers. Truecar called offers from two dealers "fair deal - $178 over MSRP" and "great deal - $190 over MSRP", "Exceptional deal - $718 below MSRP". That made me laugh and deleted those two Truecar certificates.
1622140071641.png

1622140099201.png

1622140137287.png

1622141115410.png

According to Truecar data, in my area, 22 of 29 recent sales were above MSRP, which I definitely don't believe.

However, I have to be fair, Turecar did give me one exceptional deal from one dealer, $2,330 off from MSRP. Same as Hal2 mentioned, that deal has dealer add-ons, $395 edge guard.
1622140251120.png

1622140658064.png

So this deal is close to the best offer I got before I tried Truecar. I finally used that to negotiate with a local dealer (the $178 above MSRP one!), they matched the price and removed all dealer add-ons. So if you can't get any good deals from dealers by yourself, try Truecar. It might give you a good start point but don't count on it. As you can see in my case. I don't know if Truecar will include my purchase in their data. Maybe not, because I didn't see any numbers below MSRP in their local report.

Also, I'm okay with factory installed option such as cargo mat, cargo covers and such, as those are legitimate things that came with the car - if installed prior to the dealer -as opposed to the dealer putting stuff on like after it arrives.

Is it harder to negotiate on a Machine Gray Metallic AWD Touring or Touring with Preferred?

The dealerships I’ve been in contact with don’t seem to be interested in negotiating (in SoCal). Is it just because there are fewer CX-5s in Gray?

MSRP: $31,580
Price before TTL: $30,600 and $30,590 for CX-5 Touring with Preferred

Is it harder to negotiate on a Machine Gray Metallic AWD Touring or Touring with Preferred?

The dealerships I’ve been in contact with don’t seem to be interested in negotiating (in SoCal). Is it just because there are fewer CX-5s in Gray?

MSRP: $31,580
Price before TTL: $30,600 and $30,590 for CX-5 Touring with Preferred

I'd suggest broadening your search to include more dealerships, if possible. Stock levels may be a factor, but $1k off MSRP is a "walk-in off the street" kind of deal.

Latest posts

Back