What did you pay for your CX-5?

Been looking at 2021 CX-5 GT AWD Black/Black without additional features. Got an offer from Koeppel Mazda in Queens, NY for $1442 below MSRP ($33200>$31758). No additional fees beyond DMV/Documentation for $333. OTD of $34909 after sales tax of $2819.

I’ve been unable to find a better deal calling other dealerships.

Dealer said they couldn’t go lower than this. Any tips for getting a lower price? Should I just bite the bullet and go for it?

Attachments

• 2987402E-B701-4E05-89AD-4321B24B493D.jpeg
    2987402E-B701-4E05-89AD-4321B24B493D.jpeg
    145.2 KB · Views: 88
@bsliv88 it looks like you are getting about a 4.5% discount.. this seems to be a very low discount - if you read through this thread, historically the discounts are in the 8 to 10% range, with some lucky people with good timing getting up to a 15% discount (promo stacking and such).

factors: high sales numbers for Mazda last month, chip shortage for all manufactures, classic supply / demand.

lower price idea: widen your search radius

Been looking at 2021 CX-5 GT AWD Black/Black without additional features. Got an offer from Koeppel Mazda in Queens, NY for $1442 below MSRP ($33200>$31758). No additional fees beyond DMV/Documentation for $333. OTD of $34909 after sales tax of $2819.

I’ve been unable to find a better deal calling other dealerships.

Dealer said they couldn’t go lower than this. Any tips for getting a lower price? Should I just bite the bullet and go for it?
It's getting harder and harder to get a good deal right now. I just picked up a 2021 Ranger a couple weeks ago that stickered over $46k for around $42k, which was considered a great deal. Ford has started to decrease their rebate amounts since then, that were set to expire in July. I have never seen that happen before. There are people on that forum that have been selling to Carvana for up to $6k more than they paid last year new. I saw someone that just sold them their 2020 for what I just bought my 2021 for. These are crazy times. You may have to wait this out, or find a small dealer that just wants the sale.

@bsliv88 it looks like you are getting about a 4.5% discount.. this seems to be a very low discount - if you read through this thread, historically the discounts are in the 8 to 10% range, with some lucky people with good timing getting up to a 15% discount (promo stacking and such).

factors: high sales numbers for Mazda last month, chip shortage for all manufactures, classic supply / demand.

lower price idea: widen your search radius
I talked to another dealer and got the discount up to 7.6% ($2500 off $32960 MSRP). Same tax and fees.

I'll try playing this off the original dealer and see if they'll come down at all. The first dealer is much closer, so for servicing it would be preferential.

You can service your vehicle at any dealer you like, no matter where it was purchased. Or even better find a local independent shop and give them your business. :)
I didn't realize this before, but definitely makes it worth it to drive a bit further for the initial purchase.

Now I've found a Carbon Edition in stock that may shake the whole mess up.

I didn't realize this before, but definitely makes it worth it to drive a bit further for the initial purchase.

Now I've found a Carbon Edition in stock that may shake the whole mess up.

Koppel Mazda is a waste of time. I ended up dealing with Riley in CT. See what they can offer you. NYC dealers blow in general.

Koppel Mazda is a waste of time. I ended up dealing with Riley in CT. See what they can offer you. NYC dealers blow in general.
They do suck. Completely uninterested and sometimes rude. I've spoken to some salespeople in Long Island which have been much nicer.

What was the cost for out of state registration for buying in CT?

They do suck. Completely uninterested and sometimes rude. I've spoken to some salespeople in Long Island which have been much nicer.

What was the cost for out of state registration for buying in CT?

$300, same as Koppel for new plates. They had a $500 doc fee too but it doesn't matter because the vehicle price was lower. Total, before taxes and reg was lower than anywhere in the NYC area, saved me thousands. Not to mention they didn't have the car in stock and got it from a LI dealer. See what they offer you.

$300, same as Koppel for new plates. They had a $500 doc fee too but it doesn't matter because the vehicle price was lower. Total, before taxes and reg was lower than anywhere in the NYC area, saved me thousands. Not to mention they didn't have the car in stock and got it from a LI dealer. See what they offer you.
Can I ask what your OTD was on the GT?

33, MSRP was 33,800
Did you use the promotional APR or go for the $1000 cash rebate?

The best I've gotten is 34 from a 33000 MSRP with the promotional APR.
Or 33 without the cash rebate, but without a credit app hard to say how much more the interest will be.

This was in Long Island. I'll give Riley a call.

⋯ What was the cost for out of state registration for buying in CT?
As far as I know the cost for registration from buying a new car from out of state should be the same. You still pay new car registration to NY, not to CT even if you buy the new CX-5 in CT. The same on sales tax. You eventually have to pay the difference or even full amount to your residential state.

In the old days some went to a state with lower or no sales tax, like Delaware or New Hampshire from NY, purchasing a new car to save big money on sales tax, then brought the car back. But I believe all states have come up some registration policies to prevent such loophole.

As far as I know the cost for registration from buying a new car from out of state should be the same. You still pay new car registration to NY, not to CT even if you buy the new CX-5 in CT. The same on sales tax. You eventually have to pay the difference or even full amount to your residential state.

In the old days some went to a state with lower or no sales tax, like Delaware or New Hampshire from NY, purchasing a new car to save big money on sales tax, then brought the car back. But I believe all states have come up some registration policies to prevent such loophole.

You pay tax at the DMV when registering in whatever state you're registering it in.

Yes, finding a deal is a bit tough in this market but here is what I came up with:
I am up in Alaska and the closest dealer to me wouldn’t move off MSRP, stating limited inventory. So, I looked for one that was aligned with Costco. They seem to be few and far between but I found one in Nevada. This is what I was quoted for a 2021 Soul Red GTR:
$37155 MSRP
-$1692 - Costco Pricing
-$1000 - Rebate
Vehicle cost = $34463
Now...dealer add-ons...part of the “Costco package” is a protection package which, no doubt, is almost pure profit for the dealership. It includes door edge guards, door cup guard, interior /exterior treatment, and tinted windows (35%). That package lists for $899, discounted to $719. I argued that I didn’t need any of that, particularly the tinted windows as they would probably get me a ticket in Alaska. Anyway, the car had already been prepped with all that stuff but he took the cost of the tinting off, reducing that package to $420. Document fee was $495 which is a touch high but not as bad as some of the +$600 ones that I have seen. The only other fee was a titling fee of $29.25.

Total cost was $35,407.25 Yes, I have my travel costs in bringing the car back up but airfare to Las Vegas is dirt cheap and I will still be more than $1000 below what my local dealer was asking by the time I get back home.

Here are some more Costco related perks:

For those of you who are interested in extended warranties, this dealership offered them at a discount of just over 50%. For example, I was quoted $900 for a $0 deductible, Platinum Mazda Care, for 8 yr/75,000 mile agreement. List was $1900.

Also, when you complete the Costco Auto program questionnaire after the transaction, you get a 50% off coupon for parts/accessories at the Mazda dealership where you purchased your vehicle. (maximum $200 off)

So, I looked all over the US and might have scored a better deal around Chicago or points east of there. However, the extra costs involved by traveling the extra miles driven and nights on the road would have added about $500 to my total costs anyway.

By the way, this dealership has been very good to work with. They were quick to respond and straightforward...will even pick me up from the airport when I go down there to take delivery Next month.

33, MSRP was 33,800. I didn't use their 0.9 financing so got $1000 for that and $750 for loyalty.
Here are my prices at this moment.

Screen Shot 2021-05-13 at 6.08.51 PM.jpg

Faulkner would be a no brainer if they had these cars in their inventory (they're expecting them before the end of the month).

Can I delay my gratification to save $1000? We shall see.

Here are my prices at this moment.

View attachment 298447

Faulkner would be a no brainer if they had these cars in their inventory (they're expecting them before the end of the month).

Can I delay my gratification to save $1000? We shall see.
Try Perruzi mazda. They are closer than faulkner and were willing to match them. Riley also matched for me at the time. See if they are willing to match your best offer.

looks like garden city is close too, see if they will match. Might be worth it rather than driving 2hrs each way.

Your otd seems lower than mine, but then I noticed your tax amount is not calculating at 8%. why?

my last piece of advice, try to find a car with no extras installed. They can all be found cheaper online, even the original ones.

Last edited:
Try Perruzi mazda. They are closer than faulkner and were willing to match them. Riley also matched for me at the time. See if they are willing to match your best offer.

looks like garden city is close too, see if they will match. Might be worth it rather than driving 2hrs each way.

Your otd seems lower than mine, but then I noticed your tax amount is not calculating at 8%. why?

my last piece of advice, try to find a car with no extras installed. They can all be found cheaper online, even the original ones.
Sales tax is lower in my calculations because we’re trading in and using all of the trade in value towards the new car so they will only tax the remaining amount owed.

I’ll look into Peruzzi. I already tried to get them to match the price but no dice. Part of it is they won’t honor the Mazda loyalty discount but Faulkner did (car is my dad’s and we don’t live at the same address).

Midwest Missouri. Told dealer I wanted 10% off MSRP off any CX5 I would choose whether it be base or Signature. Ended up with GTR as HUD was a must. Deal was agreed to in an hour. Financed partially through Mazda Financial and received good trade in value. This did include Mazda loyalty.

Happy with the deal and the car.

Back