What did you pay for your CX-5?

Recent lurker, first time poster. Reading through deals posted here across the country, I'm hoping for insight from folks in the New England area on their Mazda CX-5 deals and dealership recommendations. I started the search for a new 2020 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring in the Greater Boston area. Reached out to some dealers today and the best sales price was $29270 from an MSRP of $32845. The internet price is $31979. There's one add-on for a bumper guard at $125 which I want them to take off/out. My aim is to get to a $28500 o_O sale price with a dealer. Is anyone in the Greater Boston area seeing better Mazda CX-5 GT deals of late? What is the likely hood to go down to $28500 or an even lower sales price for a 2020 Mazda CX-5 GT? Is there a recommended Mazda dealership for fair deals?

Also considering waiting until the 2021 models hit the market to maybe get a better sales price on 2020 models. Is that a thing now days with dealerships as new inventory come in? All insights welcome as this will be my first dealership experience.
I'd keep the bumper guard if it's the OEM one . It's actually useful and that's the normal price for it

I'd keep the bumper guard if it's the OEM one . It's actually useful and that's the normal price for it
I will consider that. I planned to get one anyway for the city, but have not researched it to compare quality and pricing. Glad to hear some like it here though.

Hi I'm looking to purchase a 2020 CX-5 GTR in the deep blue color. Currently the dealership I'm working with told me a sales price of $32,867 for a base model (no accessories) before taxes etc... without the financing deal. I feel like its a good starting price but I'm curious how much folks think I should try to get it down to if this is his starting offer. I'm in the Indianapolis IN area and am female so I feel like they probably aren't going to give me their best deal unless I really push. Thanks in advance for any advise.

@Newbie_Liz
Do you WANT a new car or do you NEED a new car? Can you walk away from this dealer? Are there other dealers in your area? All questions to help frame a negotiation for you.

Mazda says the 2020 CX-5 GTR starts at 35,135, but really it is 36,235
Most people get ~8% off retail which would be 33,336
Dealer has it at 32,867 a delta of 469 in your favor
If you are truly ready to buy, have your finances (or cash ready) Ask for another 2000 off and work from there. They will cry and tell you they can't / won't or they will go out of business - just know on a new car the hold back from the manufacture is at least 3000; and the sales person could eat their commission (~300); and depending on how busy or not the dealer is.. waiting a few weeks might make them a bit more hungry. Every dollar you move the sales price in your favor is a win. Just factor in your time / effort / aggravation to know when to know you got a "good deal".

Oh do this all via email - don't go in; don't do it on the phone.
"Hey Bob, this is Liz -- we chatted about that 2020 Cx-5 GTR in deep blue; dealer stock #12345. Thank you for taking the time to speak with me. The last conversation we had you had offered the vehicle at 32,867 before any TTL or dealer fees. Can you help me understand what additional dealer fees may be required for this purchase?"

He will give you the "Well.. we got to keep the lights on so there is a $### fee and a $fee"

Review those

Then reply via email

"Thanks Bob for that explanation. I am ready to buy the vehicle dealer stock #12345. I am willing to pay 30,867 at this time, and am ready to get the process to move forward. Please send me the electronic documents so I can purchase this vehicle today."

That should be a decent start.

Watch those accessories and extra add-ons.

I am sure @hal2 is gonna chime in on this fantastic deal in the Phoenix AZ metro area.

Last edited:
@CX5_Driver
I think the $32,867 was off of a MSRP of $36,235 so the MSRP would include the Destination charge.
(definitely something I will look out for so they don't tack it on). I need a new car but can definitely walk away from this dealer and there are a couple other dealers in the area not many but a couple. So 30K even might be a good place to start the negotiations? Also if i do add accessories, do dealers typically discount them a bit? Thanks!

@CX5_Driver
I think the $32,867 was off of a MSRP of $36,235 so the MSRP would include the Destination charge.
(definitely something I will look out for so they don't tack it on). I need a new car but can definitely walk away from this dealer and there are a couple other dealers in the area not many but a couple. So 30K even might be a good place to start the negotiations? Also if i do add accessories, do dealers typically discount them a bit? Thanks!

They can discount them a bit, but watch the price - they may charge their shop rate to install any accessories you add. If you're handy, you can order certain accessories online and get an already discounted price, like mudguards, cargo mats or side cargo nets. There are also aftermarket floor mats that are every bit as good as the OEM Mazda "premium" mats, but are a lot less expensive.

Refer to this subforum for some feedback on accessories.
Refer to this resource for some buying sources for those accessories.

I think you need to do a bit more research, watch some youtube video on dealer fees, etc, if you want to get the best deal possible.
Currently the dealership I'm working with told me a sales price of $32,867 for a base model (no accessories) before taxes etc...
What does "for a base model" mean? The GTR is definitely not the base model, and there aren't any "packages" available (other than accessories you mentioned)
Destination Charge is about the only fee you *have* to pay, and is not part of the MSRP. It's not generally negotiable. Selling price and all other fees are (not TTL, but all others). I'd recommend you contact multiple dealers even if you have no interest in their inventory, just to get some ideas of what's possible. It's likely a dealer might be willing to give you a crazy deal because they don't have your preferred color or exact trim available. Then, use this info to talk the dealer you are interested in down.

All (most) accessories will be available after the fact for a price that matches whatever the dealer throws at you. Most can be easily installed without special tools and I personally would not tempt the salesperson with any more money than absolutely necessary.

@CX5_Driver
... So 30K even might be a good place to start the negotiations? Also if i do add accessories, do dealers typically discount them a bit? Thanks!

Any number lower than there current asking number is a good number. :)
As @sm1ke mentioned, look up the accessory prices online BEFORE hand, and ask your dealer to price match online dealer prices. You can ALWAYS add accessories later. As @bsaman said most if not all of the accessories are DIY by the consumer.

Install prices of accessories will most likely be shop rates, unless it is something so simple (floor mats) they don't charge you out of courtesy. You could pre-negotiate some accessory installs and simply not purchase them at the time of the vehicle. Something like "Can you quote me a price on illuminated door sills installation? I will provide the part(s)."

Remember they want to sell you something and anything that helps that sale is a win for them. Like reducing shop rates from $150/hr to $100/hr for accessory install in the future. Just remember to get it in writing - an actual quote with a one year "price is good for" time period.

I received an email from a local Mazda dealership this morning with their September mark-downs. I think it's safe to assume they're trying to clear out a pretty healthy backlog of 2020's before they any 2021's arrive.

(excerpt):

Here are the September's Specials below on NEW Mazda in stock and ready for immediate delivery.

CX9 ($6000 OFF LIST) excl Sport trim level
CX5 ($5500 OFF LIST) excl Sport trim level
CX30 ($3000 OFF LIST)
MAZDA 6 ($3000 OFF LIST)
MAZDA 3 SEDAN AND HATCH ($3000 OFF LIST)

***These specials are in lieu of special financing and CX9 forfeits $1500 and CX5 forfeits $1000 on those discounts above.

***In stock vehicles only and transfers and orders may require additional pricing

I received an email from a local Mazda dealership this morning with their September mark-downs. I think it's safe to assume they're trying to clear out a pretty healthy backlog of 2020's before they any 2021's arrive.

(excerpt):

Here are the September's Specials below on NEW Mazda in stock and ready for immediate delivery.

CX30 ($3000 OFF LIST)
MAZDA 6 ($3000 OFF LIST)

***These specials are in lieu of special financing and CX9 forfeits $1500 and CX5 forfeits $1000 on those discounts above.

***In stock vehicles only and transfers and orders may require additional pricing
So a CX-5 Signature for around $33,000?

Hi everyone! Hope to join everyone here to own a 2020 Mazda CX-5 like many of you here, at the best price I can find. I'm aiming to get 2020 (while color) CX-5 Touring AWD with Preferred Package.

After emailing literally 15 dealers throughout the entire 100 miles radius past 2 days, the best pricing I've found so far is as follows:

MSRP: $31,555 (because snowflake white pearl paint $200, cargo cover $250, roof rack $400, preferred package $1375)
Dealer Discount: $3,117
Rebates: $2,000 (Labor Day Special?)
Sale Price Before Rebates: $28,438 (9.88% off MSRP)
Sale Price After Rebates: $26,438 ($16.22% off MSRP)
OTD Price Offered: $29,000 (8.10% off MSRP) (because taxes/fees are pretty big here in CA)

I already had 2 dealers who refuse to beat this price and backed away with the excuse that it's not good business sense, signs of desperation at the other dealers, etc. Been trying to push for a flat $28K OTD pricing but I haven't gotten any bites unfortunately.

First off, is the current pricing considered a good deal to many people here? I can't gauge if I decide to choose this offer, that this is best deal ever.

Secondly, from the previous post, looks like September Mazda are going to be even more discounted, like $5.5K? That would be bigger discount than what's being offered right now w/ dealer discount/rebates ($3,117 + $2000). I thought Labor Day weekend would beat any rest of September deals, but would be interested to know if I should hold off instead of finalizing a deal this weekend because Labor Day.

Would appreciate any 2 cents/advice before making a big purchase. I won't be doing the 0% APR as I plan to pay it all off within 2 months (not immediately so would have to settle for a temporary standard APR rate w/ like ~$5K down and rest paid all at once). So makes sense to choose $2K rebate discount over only $500 rebate + 0% APR.

Thanks all!

So a CX-5 Signature for around $33,000?
Their website's only showing 2 Sigs in-stock, 9 GTR's, and 47 GT's! I have a feeling they're going to be playing games, doing everything they can to steer customers to the GT's.

Their website's only showing 2 Sigs in-stock, 9 GTR's, and 47 GT's! I have a feeling they're going to be playing games, doing everything they can to steer customers to the GT's.
Would you be willing to share which local Mazda dealership is having those big specials? Might want to do a quick comparison with the offers I got around my area. Thanks!

Would you be willing to share which local Mazda dealership is having those big specials? Might want to do a quick comparison with the offers I got around my area. Thanks!
Mazda of Roswell (GA)

Frankly, though, I'd recommend Mazda Mall of Georgia if you're in the area.

(excerpt):

CX30 ($3000 OFF LIST)
MAZDA 6 ($3000 OFF LIST)

Well, a no premium color Sig is $38,235 so I'd be interested if someone snag one of that $5,500 off for a price of $32,735? That's what used 2019 Sig's are going for. I'm betting there's another $2,000 in doc fee, paint shield, windon tinting, VIN security etching "already installed" on those cars. Some one work out a deal and prove me wrong.

currently there seems to be the following rebates in some states
1500 cash
500 labor day cash (till sep 8)
750 loyalty
750 additional loyalty
or total of 3500 in rebates.
and 5% off msrp comes to around 1900.
total around 5400. which is a very good discount for Mazda.

with 1600-1800 down to cover first mo, taxes, reg. and tint, etc it is pretty much doable and may even be a good lease.
the residual is in the 56% range. Although the Sig has some rent charge/MF vs GT and lower trims where its almost 0 at present.

Financing is also an option as it has 0% for up to 60 mo currently.

All in all, Mazda is offering much better rebates this year vs previous years. I gues this trend will continue and they would become more and more popular. Heck even in Arizona which is primarily truck land, I do see much more Cx5 recently than few years ago.

Hi everyone! Hope to join everyone here to own a 2020 Mazda CX-5 like many of you here, at the best price I can find. I'm aiming to get 2020 (while color) CX-5 Touring AWD with Preferred Package.

After emailing literally 15 dealers throughout the entire 100 miles radius past 2 days, the best pricing I've found so far is as follows:

MSRP: $31,555 (because snowflake white pearl paint $200, cargo cover $250, roof rack $400, preferred package $1375)
Dealer Discount: $3,117
Rebates: $2,000 (Labor Day Special?)
Sale Price Before Rebates: $28,438 (9.88% off MSRP)
Sale Price After Rebates: $26,438 ($16.22% off MSRP)
OTD Price Offered: $29,000 (8.10% off MSRP) (because taxes/fees are pretty big here in CA)

I already had 2 dealers who refuse to beat this price and backed away with the excuse that it's not good business sense, signs of desperation at the other dealers, etc. Been trying to push for a flat $28K OTD pricing but I haven't gotten any bites unfortunately.

First off, is the current pricing considered a good deal to many people here? I can't gauge if I decide to choose this offer, that this is best deal ever.

Secondly, from the previous post, looks like September Mazda are going to be even more discounted, like $5.5K? That would be bigger discount than what's being offered right now w/ dealer discount/rebates ($3,117 + $2000). I thought Labor Day weekend would beat any rest of September deals, but would be interested to know if I should hold off instead of finalizing a deal this weekend because Labor Day.

Would appreciate any 2 cents/advice before making a big purchase. I won't be doing the 0% APR as I plan to pay it all off within 2 months (not immediately so would have to settle for a temporary standard APR rate w/ like ~$5K down and rest paid all at once). So makes sense to choose $2K rebate discount over only $500 rebate + 0% APR.

Thanks all!
Sounds like a great deal. Got a price of $27,100 on a touring AWD with PP last month and thought that was a good deal.

Here's a bit of info for anyone looking to lease anything from Mazda. Up until recently Mazda used Chase to handle all their leasing contracts. They're now using Toyota's financing arm for this purpose.

Here's the catch.

With Chase you had an automatic $1000 insurance coverage to take care of any scratches, dings or whatever when you returned your leased car. You also had what's called gap insurance, which covers the difference between what your insurance might pay in the event your car was totaled and the payoff on the car. So if your payoff was $26000 say, and the insurance company would only pay $22000 of the cost you were covered for the difference up to some amount, I don't remember exactly what the cutoff was.

Now with Toyota finance both of those things are gone, and the dealer will try and sell them to you for about $800 as an add on. The add on has some better coverage, but still, without it they can ding you for any small thing when you turn in the car, and any 3 year old leased car is going to have some minor stuff no matter how careful you are. So you sort of have to have it or you're at their mercy.

I found this out after I had negotiated the lease deal on my new 2020 CX-5 GT and went to talk to the finance guy to finish the deal and he laid it on me. In my case this is my third leased CX-5, first a '15, then a '17 and now the '20 all from the same dealer. I also had bought my 2010 Mazda5 from them before I started on the lease track, which I traded toward the '15. It's Autobarn Mazda in Evanston IL if anyone cares.

This would have added on about $20 monthly to my lease cost. Long story short, I basically said no thanks since I still had a month on my lease and had time to start the whole game over. When they realized I was seriously gonna walk out with my old car they decided to just eat it and throw in the insurance. Now honestly I'm not mad about it, they did what they needed to do to keep a longstanding customer, which is what a decent dealer should do. They said I should have been told about the change from the beginning since when I started the whole deal I told them I just wanted to lease the same car in a 2020 - GT, Red, PP - with no BS, what's it gonna cost me.

In the end it worked out fine, and I have no issue with the dealer, they were stand up by me. But you should be aware of this if you're leasing from Mazda and factor it in ahead of time. Mazda leasing ain't great to begin with, you don't get any sort of compensation for unused miles. When my wife leased a new Acura last year they rolled the previous 6000 unused miles into the new lease so while we leased it for 30000 miles we actually got 36000 instead.

I hope this keeps anyone from an unpleasant surprise at the dreaded finance guy's desk...

Back