What did you pay for your CX-5?

$33.5k GTR '20 is pretty good considering there's not a single autotrader listing south of $33.7 within 500 miles of Raleigh Durham. Most of the listings 34.5k and above. I also think the bigger touchscreen is worth choosing the pricier 2020 model

We just purchased a 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve, Deep Crystal Blue/Parchment from a Mazda dealer in about 45 minutes from my house, in eastern NH (I'm not sure if it is ok to post dealer names, PM me if you want the details).

MSRP: $36,080
Dealer Discount: $2828
Mazda Rebate: $750 Loyalty
Inspection Fee: didn't charge us for this
Taxes: $0, in NH (no sales tax in NH for NH registered cars)
Title: $25
Doc/Admin Fees: $370
Out-The-Door Price: $32,897 (including fees, rebates, etc)
no trade-in
no financing

I spent about a week sending and responding to emails.
I went to the dealer's web site, found the "contact us" page and sent them this note:
  • I would like to get the email address for the Internet sales manager to send over my request for a quote on a 2020 Mazda CX-5. I prefer to handle all communications through email at this time. Thank you

We did go to a local dealer for a test drive a few months ago - and we stopped back at that dealer last month for a useless visit to check on left-over 2019's. Other than that, the only dealer visit was today.

Today was the first time we stepped into the dealer or spoke to them (other than through email) was today.

I did spend another week to 10 days looking for 2019 GTRs, before I had decided that was a waste of time.

Overall, the process was pretty easy. Some things I've learned:
  • If you do this I strongly recommend using an alternate email account - as you will likely get emails from 20 dealers every week for the next 5 years.
  • Don't call the dealer, don't give them your phone number
    • a few dealerships require entering a phone number when you send a "contact us" request on their web site - I just put in "123-4567"
  • If there is a dealer you really want to buy from, engage them at the end of the process. "Freeportd" had recommended the dealer he purchased his CX-5 from, and I didn't send that dealer an email until I had prices from all of the other dealers. (and that is the dealer we bought the CX-5 from)
  • Very few people listen to directions - I had asked for a price breakdown showing rebates, dealer fees, etc - and only 2 dealers gave me that. I had to email back asking if rebates were included in the prices they gave me and if doc fees were included.
    • Even if you spell out everything (i.e. "I'm not eligible for the Military or recent grad rebates") some dealers will ignore that and still ask you questions that you've already answered. Not point in being mean, just politely answer them again
  • Some dealers quoted a non-existent Mazda rebate. These 3 dealers told me I was eligible for 0.9% financing or $1000 cash. I wasn't financing, so their prices includes a $1000 additional rebate from Mazda - which Mazda offers on the 2019s, not the 2020s.
    • Even after asking those three dealers to double check this, they still told me that there was a $1000 rebate.
  • My favorite response from an Internet Sales Manager: "when can you come into the dealership, the best deals are done in person".
    • I just kept thinking, "you better hope that's not true, or else they wont need an internet sales manager".

next steps:
  1. figure out what all the buttons do
  2. get extra rims and snow tires
  3. figure out what to pay for the extended warranty (still not sure if we want that)

Here is the template for the first note I had sent:

Than you for responding to by request so quickly.

I’m interested in purchasing a new car by the end of this month, preferably by the end of next week. I’m contacting multiple dealerships for their best price on a 2020 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve.

I would prefer the color of the car to be I would like the exterior color of the car to be Deep Crystal Blue Mica (I do not have a preference for interior color). I am also ok with the “Soul Red” color – and I do know that there is an additional charge for that color. When comparing prices, I will consider the percentage discount from MSRP.

There are no additional options I am looking for currently, but I understand that some of the vehicles may already have factory/port installed options.

I would like to get a price, with a breakdown of all fees all fees (including documentation, etc.). If you are including any rebates/incentives, please specify that.

As the owner of a Mazda Miata, I believe I am eligible for the $750 Mazda Loyalty Reward Program. I am not eligible for the Military or recent graduate rebates from Mazda.

I will not be trading in another vehicle.

I am a resident of New Hampshire (zip code XXXXX) – there should be no sales tax on this vehicle.

I plan to pay cash for the car.

I prefer that all contact be through email for now.

Once I have price quotes from multiple dealers, I will evaluate them and work with the top 3 quotes on a final price.

Thank you for your time

In the second round, I sent this email (or a variation of it, to the top 3-4 dealers:

Thank you for following up with me

Most of the other dealers have replied with quotes and my task for tonight is to put everything into a spreadsheet narrow down the list.
Here is the the you had sent me (please double check my numbers):
MSRP: $36,705
Discount: $2061
Rebates from Mazda (Customer Cash & Loyalty): $1750
Doc fees: $499
Govt Fee: $1
OTD: $33,394

I've put it in this format as it makes it easier to compare with the numbers from the other dealerships.

I haven't completed all of the math, but it looks like you are the 3rd best quote - but I will know more once it is all in the spreadsheet.

Thank you again for all of your time.

And I had sent this note below to the last dealer, the one that won the business (I did send it to another dealer, but they didn't match the prices:

To save us both a bit of time, right now, the best 2 quotes I have are:

1. from a dealership about 45 minutes from my house - a 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve, Soul Red with an "out-the-door" price (including all rebates, doc/admin fees, incentives, discounts) of $32997

2. from a dealership about 1 hour from my house - a 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve, Deep Crystal Blue with an "out-the door" price (including all rebates, doc/admin fees, incentives, discounts) or $32,897.50

As a quick review, here is the short version of my requirements:
· Vehicle: 2020 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve
· Exterior Color: Deep Crystal Blue Mica OR Soul Red
· Interior Color: no preference
· Optional Equipment: none
· Rebate Eligibility: $750 Mazda Loyalty (not sure if "customer cash" is available as well)
· Trade-In: None
· Financing: none – will pay cash (bank check)
· Location for Registration: New Hampshire, Zip Code: XXXXX
· Timeframe for Purchase: January 2020

We just purchased a 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve, Deep Crystal Blue/Parchment from a Mazda dealer in about 45 minutes from my house, in eastern NH
Very thorough! Welcome to the club.

I used a similar but much condensed pricing approach. I immediately disregarded any dealers who could not provide pricing specifics as requested. The worst of which was "here is our internet pricing offer" which was MSRP!

Very jealous of the NH no vehicle sales tax!

So if you bought it in a state with a lower sales tax, do you have to pay tax again in PA or do you pay the difference?

You are charged the sales tax based on where the vehicle is registered. So you would still pay NJ taxes no matter where you purchased it.

We just purchased a 2020 CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve, Deep Crystal Blue/Parchment from a Mazda dealer in about 45 minutes from my house, in eastern NH

Great approach! I did the same thing when I bought my car - drafted an email requesting a quote, sent a copy to all nearby dealers, then whittled down the options until 2-3 dealers remained. The nice thing about doing it this way is that you end up with clear, itemized quotes, leading to less time spent ironing out the details when closing the sale.

The only thing I would change in your process is the statement that you will be paying cash. I've found that if you leave the option to finance with the dealership open, the dealer is more willing to fight for your business.

Congrats on the new car, enjoy it!

Nice job...clear, direct, comprehensive...and fair.
Good points on 'secondary' email usage, but I've found they all responded well to the "unsubscribe" option after my purchase was complete.
And a definite 'second' on not giving your phone number if you can avoid it.

2020 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve
Color: Deep Crystal Blue Mica
Week of: January 26, 2020

MSRP: $36,080.00 [includes $1,045.00 destination charge]

Discount: $2,466.00 [6.8% off MSRP]
Incentives: $0.00
Dealer Fees (doc fee): $495.00

Purchase Price: $33,614.00 vehicle + $495.00 dealer fees = $34,109.00

MA State Sales Tax (6.25%): $2,131.81
MA Title / Registration / Plates: $135.00
MA State Inspection: $35.00

Total Out-the-Door Price: $36,410.81

I had no trade-in vehicle and did not use dealer/Mazda financing.

There are a handful of in-stock 2020 GTRs and Signatures in the Boston area...and essentially no new 2019 GTRs or Signatures available.

The discount included an itemized $1,000 "time-limited" discount (through end of January) for Costco Auto Program purchasers (and maybe others?), on top of the regular Costco discount offered by the dealer, provided that no financing incentives could be applied.

I had three other email/phone quotes for a Mazda 2020 CX-5 GTR from other Boston-area Mazda dealers that all came in around $34,100 (before dealer fees, tax, and government fees), give or take or hundred. I got these quotes before I got the Costco Auto Program quote in-person at the dealership.

Not being a recent college grad, military, or Mazda owner (until now!), I don’t qualify for those incentives. I also had one area dealer quote for $32,500, but when I pressed them on what incentives they were including in the price, they were rather vague, and just said I should come in to discuss it further. Ultimately, I wasn't up for extended game-playing and moved on.

A ~$500 dealer/doc fee is not atypical for the Boston area (for all new-car dealers, not just Mazda). MA doesn't cap doc fees, although, rather weirdly, does specifically cap the fee for helping with title paperwork at $5.

With more back-and-forth, I think I might have been able to get another Boston-area dealer down a couple hundred more, but ultimately, I think $33,614 is a reasonable price for a 2020 Mazda CX-5 GTR.

Plus, I got a 50%-off accessories at the dealer (up to $200 off) with my post-purchase Costco Auto Program coupon. I got the retractable cargo cover, cargo tray, and all-weather mats (not included in the pricing above).

2020 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring Reserve
Color: Deep Crystal Blue Mica
Week of: January 26, 2020

MSRP: $36,080.00 [includes $1,045.00 destination charge]

Discount: $2,466.00 [6.8% off MSRP]
Incentives: $0.00
Dealer Fees (doc fee): $495.00

Purchase Price: $33,614.00 vehicle + $495.00 dealer fees = $34,109.00

MA State Sales Tax (6.25%): $2,131.81
MA Title / Registration / Plates: $135.00
MA State Inspection: $35.00

Total Out-the-Door Price: $36,410.81

I had no trade-in vehicle and did not use dealer/Mazda financing.

There are a handful of in-stock 2020 GTRs and Signatures in the Boston area...and essentially no new 2019 GTRs or Signatures available.

The discount included an itemized $1,000 "time-limited" discount (through end of January) for Costco Auto Program purchasers (and maybe others?), on top of the regular Costco discount offered by the dealer, provided that no financing incentives could be applied.

I had three other email/phone quotes for a Mazda 2020 CX-5 GTR from other Boston-area Mazda dealers that all came in around $34,100 (before dealer fees, tax, and government fees), give or take or hundred. I got these quotes before I got the Costco Auto Program quote in-person at the dealership.

Not being a recent college grad, military, or Mazda owner (until now!), I don’t qualify for those incentives. I also had one area dealer quote for $32,500, but when I pressed them on what incentives they were including in the price, they were rather vague, and just said I should come in to discuss it further. Ultimately, I wasn't up for extended game-playing and moved on.

A ~$500 dealer/doc fee is not atypical for the Boston area (for all new-car dealers, not just Mazda). MA doesn't cap doc fees, although, rather weirdly, does specifically cap the fee for helping with title paperwork at $5.

With more back-and-forth, I think I might have been able to get another Boston-area dealer down a couple hundred more, but ultimately, I think $33,614 is a reasonable price for a 2020 Mazda CX-5 GTR.

Plus, I got a 50%-off accessories at the dealer (up to $200 off) with my post-purchase Costco Auto Program coupon. I got the retractable cargo cover, cargo tray, and all-weather mats (not included in the pricing above).

I bought a deep crystal blue 2020 GTR in the Boston area last month, and this is pretty much what I paid also. And I shopped around quite a bit. Enjoy it. I'm loving mine so far.

I purchased 2020 CX-5 Signature soul red for with OPTION-1

OPTION-1: 40,000$ OTD here in NJ with 0.9%.
OPTION-2:The other offer was with standard apr(2.9% and above) for 38500$ OTD

2020 Sig CX-5 Soul RED
MSRP: 38,400
Discounts: -2000
---------------------------
Price: 36,400
Doc Prep Fee: 539
Tire/Battery fee: 8
License & Title: 500
Sales TAX : 2553
---------------------------
OTD = $40,000 (0.9% APR)

Thanks to @Arcticshade for the suggestion. I went back to my dealer and asked my dealer for better discount instead of just 1000$

I bought a deep crystal blue 2020 GTR in the Boston area last month, and this is pretty much what I paid also. And I shopped around quite a bit. Enjoy it. I'm loving mine so far.
I have to say, I don't think I've been this excited about driving something in a long time. It is such a good car.

I drive 25-35 rental cars a year for work, and they're usually a mix of mid-size sedans and CUVs, with the occasional full-size sedan or mid-size SUV. There are a lot cars from Kia, Hyundai, Chevy, Jeep, and Ford (and Nissan...but I try hard to avoid those). They're usually mid-level in terms of trim/options, but occasionally some are highly spec'd out.

And these rental cars tend to be fine, if largely unmemorable. Some of them are under-powered (yet still with mediocre mpg), some are rather lacking in safety tech, and many have crammed way too many controls into their touchscreen infotainment system.

I did get to drive a 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i as a rental for a week last year. It was nice...even a bit nicer than a CX-5 GTR. But I think the GTR is about 95% there for ~75% of the cost. And that's before maintenance and depreciation, which I'm sure widens the cost gap.

I have to say, I don't think I've been this excited about driving something in a long time. It is such a good car.

I drive 25-35 rental cars a year for work, and they're usually a mix of mid-size sedans and CUVs, with the occasional full-size sedan or mid-size SUV. There are a lot cars from Kia, Hyundai, Chevy, Jeep, and Ford (and Nissan...but I try hard to avoid those). They're usually mid-level in terms of trim/options, but occasionally some are highly spec'd out.

And these rental cars tend to be fine, if largely unmemorable. Some of them are under-powered (yet still with mediocre mpg), some are rather lacking in safety tech, and many have crammed way too many controls into their touchscreen infotainment system.

I did get to drive a 2019 BMW X3 xDrive30i as a rental for a week last year. It was nice...even a bit nicer than a CX-5 GTR. But I think the GTR is about 95% there for ~75% of the cost. And that's before maintenance and depreciation, which I'm sure widens the cost gap.

That’s great to hear that you’d put it in the same ballpark as the BMW. I’ve never driven the X3.

More newbs on the forum. Good, good.

palpatine1.gif

palpatine2.gif

I’m in Seattle looking to lease a 2020 CX5-probably GTR-also will be my first Mazda. Anyone out there with their price/experiences?

I'm Interested in purchasing a CX-5 so I've been lurking here for quite a while and this is my first post. This may be the wrong spot to ask about used cars? I've been looking at new but found a used 2019 Red CX-5 Grand Touring with 7,000 miles they offering me at 25,999. Was told it's been one of their dealer cars. Can anyone tell me if this sounds like a good deal? Should I ask for more off?

on the 2019 CX-5 Grand Touring for $25,999 - What does the $25,999 price include?

Are there additional dealer fees?
Are there any options on the car?
is it Front Wheel Drive or All Wheel Drive?

For reference - I believe the MSRP on the 2019 CX-5 GT AWD in Red is $33085 and $31,685 for the FWD - but that's for a new car.
Invoice prices are $31,797 and $30,452
And remember that mazda has incentives on new, leftover 2019's - including $1000 customer cash and then loyalty, recent grade, military rebates - are you eligible for any of those rebates?

I'm not saying you need to buy a new 2019 vs. the used one - but, if you haven't already checked, you should know the price you can get on a new one for comparison.

what state/province are located in?

I'm Interested in purchasing a CX-5 so I've been lurking here for quite a while and this is my first post. This may be the wrong spot to ask about used cars? I've been looking at new but found a used 2019 Red CX-5 Grand Touring with 7,000 miles they offering me at 25,999. Was told it's been one of their dealer cars. Can anyone tell me if this sounds like a good deal? Should I ask for more off?

You are in the ballpark for a used 2019, you should be able to negotiate some more off the price.....1k additional off would be my target if they begin adding in fee's and taxes to the price offered.

Back