What did you pay for your CX-5?

How accurate are the KellyBlueBook and Truecar price ranges? Seemed like for the GT package with premium option KBB was suggesting $31,600 was the best price people have been getting. That doesn't include dealer fee or tax... About 8% off MSRP I think.

I know Truecar charges dealers like $300 for a sale, so anything you can get through truecar you can subtract out a decent amount and go around it completely.

Is the CX5 $1500 cash rebate not available in your area? If you didn't do special financing I think you would qualify. Maybe if it is available in your area it would be worth asking your dealer about.

But like another said, if you and the dealer were both happy then I think you did fine.
Well, I thought I had done OK until I read the posts here. Trucar had a "good price" quote of $28,557 and a "market average" of $28,566 in my area. So, compared to those, I thought I had done OK. Now, it appears that's not the case. Oh, and there was no $1,500 rebate in my area ... rather, it was $1,000 Mazda cash and $1,000 as a certified dealer discount for a cash deal. Ugh!

Well, I thought I had done OK until I read the posts here. Trucar had a "good price" quote of $28,557 and a "market average" of $28,566 in my area. So, compared to those, I thought I had done OK. Now, it appears that's not the case. Oh, and there was no $1,500 rebate in my area ... rather, it was $1,000 Mazda cash and $1,000 as a certified dealer discount for a cash deal. Ugh!

Also ... KBB's "fair price" was $29,138 and Edmund's TMV was $29,410. So, I had thought my deal was competitive based on the numbers I had researched.

Doesn't seem so bad to me?

$30,495 - ($28,965 - $1,000) = 8.3% discount. I've seems like 6-8% is the target? If he got special financing it is a good deal I think (the 0.9%)
I dont count a $1k rebate towards the dealer discount as they get that money straight back from Mazda or wherever. 7% has been gotten by just about everyone without any rebates. If you can get it, fine, but I never pay less than 10%. YMMV.

For me I saw the lowest price paid on truecar and paid 10% less than that. You see the avg 28566, your lowest on the graph would be 27000, I paid 27000-2700 so 24300. Kbb / truecar has zero value and accuracy. Its the same as dealer invoice price which is worthless.
As a buyer only focus on Msrp and your purchase price. Rebates / cashbacks don't matter much if you focus on those two numbers.
Top number i have seen here
25 k for touring loaded with everything
27.5 for gt fully loaded

Not much on gtr/signature but 29k and 31k would be top drawer for these.

Hey y'all! This is my first post in the forum. As I stupidly lost the quote I get from the NorCal dealer for a CX-5 touring FWD w/ PP in machine gray, this is all I remembered...
MSRP - $29,335
Rebate - $1000
Loyalty - $750
OTD - $27,600

Is this a decent deal?

Last edited:
For me I saw the lowest price paid on truecar and paid 10% less than that. You see the avg 28566, your lowest on the graph would be 27000, I paid 27000-2700 so 24300. Kbb / truecar has zero value and accuracy. Its the same as dealer invoice price which is worthless.
As a buyer only focus on Msrp and your purchase price. Rebates / cashbacks don't matter much if you focus on those two numbers.
Top number i have seen here
25 k for touring loaded with everything
27.5 for gt fully loaded

Not much on gtr/signature but 29k and 31k would be top drawer for these.

are you saying $29k for GTR? No way..that's 19% off MSRP.

Hey y'all! This is my first post in the forum. As I stupidly lost the quote I get from the NorCal dealer for a CX-5 touring FWD w/ PP in machine gray, this is all I remembered...
MSRP - $29,335
Rebate - $1000
Loyalty - $750
OTD - $27,600

Is this a decent deal?

No way to know without seeing the selling price as nobody knows your tax rate and fees, so OTD means nothing without a full breakdown.

if you and the dealer were both happy.

Lmao! Yea, my number one goal is to make sure the dealer is happy when buying a car. Couldn't care less if they hate me, I want the best price and the best price only. Let them rape someone else like I know they will and are hoping to do.

That's what I plan to pay. I got it before, and I'll do it again.

Roughly 15% dealer discount I negotiated, and 4+% rebates for a total of 19%.

Let me know where if you're successful!
Or add me to the deal. Maybe they'll give an even better discount for buying 2 (cabpatch)
I'm shopping for my replacement GTR & can't get better than 8%.

So, after reading all the posts here, I cancelled the deal and am supposed to receive back my deposit. I'll continue shopping around, armed with the knowledge gained here, and will ask the forum to comment on any proposals offered. Many thanks and much appreciation to ZoomZoomForever and ThePlayer11 for their advice and comments.

are you saying $29k for GTR? No way..that's 19% off MSRP.

19 is extreme. I am thinking 15-16% is doable for non turbo models. Mazda may have done their research on turbos and stock enough to meet demand which could keep transaction prices higher.

When I purchased my GT Reserve in March I had negotiated with 3 local dealers and 2 out of town. After a lot of back and forth over a 3 week period or more I wasn*t able to get beyond a 7% discount off of msrp. At the time I felt I was as close to the best deal I was going to get in my area.

When I purchased my GT Reserve in March I had negotiated with 3 local dealers and 2 out of town. After a lot of back and forth over a 3 week period or more I wasn*t able to get beyond a 7% discount off of msrp. At the time I felt I was as close to the best deal I was going to get in my area.

Was that 7% before rebates?

So, after reading all the posts here, I cancelled the deal and am supposed to receive back my deposit. I'll continue shopping around, armed with the knowledge gained here, and will ask the forum to comment on any proposals offered. Many thanks and much appreciation to ZoomZoomForever and ThePlayer11 for their advice and comments.

email all dealers within 3 hours and play best offer against them.

Back