What did you pay for your CX-5?

Had a dealer follow up with me today with a good offer finally, think we're going to take it.

2019 CX-5 Touring AWD no P/P
MSRP: $29,060
Discount: $2060
Mazda Rebate Standard APR: -$1,500
Doc fee $599
Tax: $2185

Total OTD: $28,285

7% off MSRP is ok, not great, $600 doc is ridiculous.

7% off MSRP is ok, not great, $600 doc is ridiculous.

Best I've been able to get after emailing all CO dealers is 5% before this. Everyone here charges $500-600 doc fees because the state allows no cap to it.

My target has been 8% off with special financing but I'm essentially being laughed at asking for that the last week from everyone.

Best I've been able to get after emailing all CO dealers is 5% before this. Everyone here charges $500-600 doc fees because the state allows no cap to it.

My target has been 8% off with special financing but I'm essentially being laughed at asking for that the last week from everyone.

Your discount is 12% off MSRP. 3560 over 29060. Now your doc fees are higher. Its not 7%.

well, now that you have a dealer offering 7% off, play that quote to 10-15 other dealers and have them beat it. Rinse and repeat

Last edited:
Hi. New to the forum and wish I would have known about it before I bought the car. Anyway, yesterday, I purchased a 2019 CX-5 Touring AWD w/PP in Deep Crystal Blue for $ 30,682 OTD. I got them to throw in the retractable cargo cover which retails for $250. I will pick up the car this coming Friday. Here's the breakdown of my cash deal:

MSRP: $ 30,495
Sale Price: $ 28,965
Rebate: $ 1,000
Retractable Cargo Cover: Free
Government Fee: $ 250
Doc Fee: $ 75
Taxes: $ 2,392

Total OTD: $ 30,682

This was the best deal I could find in NY after having shopped around at several dealers.
The throw in of the cargo cover brings the effective sale price before TT&L to $27,715. I know the deal is done, but I'm thinking I may have left some $$ on the table. Just wondering what you folks think. Thanks for your comments.

Hi. New to the forum and wish I would have known about it before I bought the car. Anyway, yesterday, I purchased a 2019 CX-5 Touring AWD w/PP in Deep Crystal Blue for $ 30,682 OTD. I got them to throw in the retractable cargo cover which retails for $250. I will pick up the car this coming Friday. Here's the breakdown of my cash deal:

MSRP: $ 30,495
Sale Price: $ 28,965
Rebate: $ 1,000
Retractable Cargo Cover: Free
Government Fee: $ 250
Doc Fee: $ 75
Taxes: $ 2,392

Total OTD: $ 30,682

This was the best deal I could find in NY after having shopped around at several dealers.
The throw in of the cargo cover brings the effective sale price before TT&L to $27,715. I know the deal is done, but I'm thinking I may have left some $$ on the table. Just wondering what you folks think. Thanks for your comments.

I think you left plenty of money on the table.

I also think you can possibly back out of the deal because you haven't taken possession of the car, therefore the contract hasn't been fully executed. Personally, I'd be down there today voiding it. Good luck ,and enjoy your new CX-5 when you get it.

I also think you can possibly back out of the deal because you haven't taken possession of the car, therefore the contract hasn't been fully executed. Personally, I'd be down there today voiding it. Good luck ,and enjoy your new CX-5 when you get it.

How much do you think I left? Is it that bad?

Doesn't seem so bad to me?

$30,495 - ($28,965 - $1,000) = 8.3% discount. I've seems like 6-8% is the target? If he got special financing it is a good deal I think (the 0.9%)

Had a dealer follow up with me today with a good offer finally, think we're going to take it.

2019 CX-5 Touring AWD no P/P
MSRP: $29,060
Discount: $2060
Mazda Rebate Standard APR: -$1,500
Doc fee $599
Tax: $2185

Total OTD: $28,285

Did you get a good interest rate on the finance? I'm curious why you chose the $1500 rebate instead of the 0.9% interest rate. I'm sure you had a reason, but I was thinking if you did 60 months at 4.5% you'd pay around $3354 in interest. If you add $1500 to the purchase price and do 0.9% interest you'd be paying $686.60 in interest or $2186.60 instead of $3354. You'd be saving a little over $1000 by doing the lower APR instead of the rebate.

However, if you don't qualify for 0.9% and/or you plan to pay it off much faster than 60 months, I could see the standard APR being OK.

Looks like you got a pretty good deal overall though. Congrats!

How much do you think I left? Is it that bad?

I wouldn't worry about it. Anyone (including me) can speculate and give you an opinion on what is a good price however, in reality you were negotiating the sale not us. A good sales transaction is one in which both the buyer and seller are happy. Enjoy your new CX5!

Wade

The incentive was $1,000 for cash.

Is the CX5 $1500 cash rebate not available in your area? If you didn't do special financing I think you would qualify. Maybe if it is available in your area it would be worth asking your dealer about.

But like another said, if you and the dealer were both happy then I think you did fine.

Did you get a good interest rate on the finance? I'm curious why you chose the $1500 rebate instead of the 0.9% interest rate. I'm sure you had a reason, but I was thinking if you did 60 months at 4.5% you'd pay around $3354 in interest. If you add $1500 to the purchase price and do 0.9% interest you'd be paying $686.60 in interest or $2186.60 instead of $3354. You'd be saving a little over $1000 by doing the lower APR instead of the rebate.

However, if you don't qualify for 0.9% and/or you plan to pay it off much faster than 60 months, I could see the standard APR being OK.

Looks like you got a pretty good deal overall though. Congrats!

Did the math and made an equal offer to the deal for either deal. We figured 4% for 48mo with the $1500 rebate is pretty much identical to 0.9% for 48mo with no rebate at our down payment level. Left it up to dealer choice on which to accept.

We haven't bought it yet, this was an email back and forth late Friday night and they played the game of "tonight only deal"... we couldn't make it in before close and told them to call us when they have another slow day this month and we'd take this deal any day they want. My thought is if they were willing to do it once, they'll be calling back towards the end of the month lol.

Last edited:
you don't count any rebates when factoring % off MSRP. Those are from Mazda.

How accurate are the KellyBlueBook and Truecar price ranges? Seemed like for the GT package with premium option KBB was suggesting $31,600 was the best price people have been getting. That doesn't include dealer fee or tax... About 8% off MSRP I think.

Did the math and made an equal offer to the deal for either deal. We figured 4% for 48mo with the $1500 rebate is pretty much identical to 0.9% for 48mo with no rebate at our down payment level. Left it up to dealer choice on which to accept.

We haven't bought it yet, this was an email back and forth late Friday night and they played the game of "tonight only deal"... we couldn't make it in before close and told them to call us when they have another slow day this month and we'd take this deal any day they want. My thought is if they were willing to do it once, they'll be calling back towards the end of the month lol.

Bummer on not getting it yet. I agree they should be able to match that deal. Maybe even beat the deal once the 2020 models come in.

Back