What did you pay for your CX-5?

Finally picked up a CX-5 Signature yesterday! I'm in California, in the Bay Area, so tax basically ate up all my savings. I also opted for the maintenance package because even oil changes are expensive here.

Total MSRP: $38,335 (including destination fee and roof rack rails)
Cash Price: $34,497 (opted for 0.9% financing, so no cash back and sadly no other incentives)
Discount: 10.01%

Pre-Paid Maintenance: $1,910
Sales Tax: $2939.47
Doc Fee: $85.00
Electronic Vehicle Registration or Transfer Charge: $30.00
Vehicle License Fees: $224 (estimated)
Registration/Transfer/Titling: $232
California Tire Fees: $8.75

Total out the door: $39,926.22

I emailed around to all of the other dealers in the area but no one quoted lower with incentive financing. When I would respond and say I had a lower quote elsewhere, they would usually say they could match it but couldn't go lower. I tried that with a few that were closer to me but their "match" turned out to not be real when it went to the GM. No one wanted to throw in anything else that might have tipped the scales.

The maintenance plan I got was the "Ultimate" from https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/owners/service/mazda-prepaid-maintenance-brochure.pdf:
- 5 years / 75,000 miles of Schedule 1 maintenance and inspections
- Every 7500 miles: engine oil & filter change, tire rotation
- 30k/60k: cabin air filter
- 37.5k: air filter
- 30k/45k/60k inspections

so you paid $1,900 for 10 oil changes and a cabin and air filter? Don't know about that..but you did well at 10% off MSRP
edit...does it include plug change at 40k miles?

The maintenance plan I got was the "Ultimate" from https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets/pdf/owners/service/mazda-prepaid-maintenance-brochure.pdf:
- 5 years / 75,000 miles of Schedule 1 maintenance and inspections
- Every 7500 miles: engine oil & filter change, tire rotation
- 30k/60k: cabin air filter
- 37.5k: air filter
- 30k/45k/60k inspections

Holy cow!! Cancel that immediately. Yep, I was right, that's beyond ridiculous.

Sad part is they will recommend something else every time you bring it in for service and most people will fall for it. That $1900 is ludicrous already, and they'll have it doubled in no time with other work not needed.

Last edited:
I looked at the Toyota RAV4 and the Nissan Rogue.
Two of the Raleigh Toyota dealerships were selling the RAV4 at $5500 under MSPR. A third was willing to come in close to that.
The Nissan dealership was willing to sell the Rogue S AWD at $5700 under MSRP, which was about 23200 OTD.
but we went with the RAV4 XLE AWD with $5500 off and 4.09% for 75 months. MSRP was about 31200.
I think OTD was about 28900?

My friend used this information when negotiating the price on a Cx-5. He has negotiated on the Cx-5 Sport MSRP 25870 to 23885.23 OTD. That was basically a discount of $3400 (13.3%) off MSRP

I think he would have gotten an identical discount (13.3%) off of the touring or high model which would have been a higher dollar amount off of MSRP.

Sales Tax is 3% in NC,
registration etc. is about $170.
Doc fees average about $600 in NC.
MSRP was without DOC fees.

Last edited:
Purchased a Machine Grey Metallic 2019 CX-5 Signature today in Houston, TX. Financed at 0.9% with Mazda Capital Services.

MSRP: $36,890
Paint Color Charge: $300
Destination: $1,045
Total MSRP: $38,235

Mazda Loyalty Rebate: $750
Financing Cash: $500
Dealer Discount: $2,935
Total Discount: $4,185

Final sale price: $34,050
% off MSRP: ~11%

Had another dealer offer $33,500 inclusive of rebates, but it wasn't a done deal, the manager had to go to some higher up for approvals. I had gotten the price I was looking for and didn't want to shop around anymore so I made the purchased. This is a very nice vehicle and much quieter and well appointed compared to the 2017 Mazda3 GT /w PP that I traded in.

I looked at the Toyota RAV4 and the Nissan Rogue.
Two of the Raleigh Toyota dealerships were selling the RAV4 at $5500 under MSPR. A third was willing to come in close to that.
The Nissan dealership was willing to sell the Rogue S AWD at $5700 under MSRP, which was about 23200 OTD.
but we went with the RAV4 XLE AWD with $5500 off and 4.09% for 75 months. MSRP was about 31200.
I think OTD was about 28900?

My friend used this information when negotiating the price on a Cx-5. He has negotiated on the Cx-5 Sport MSRP 25870 to 23885.23 OTD. That was basically a discount of $3400 (13.3%) off MSRP

I think he would have gotten an identical discount (13.3%) off of the touring or high model which would have been a higher dollar amount off of MSRP.

Sales Tax is 3% in NC,
registration etc. is about $170.
Doc fees average about $600 in NC.
MSRP was without DOC fees.

you financed at 4% for over 6 years? Ouch...
I'm a believer in paying in cash or financing at 1% or below for no more than 5 years. If I can't do that then I can't afford the vehicle.
Buying a new vehicle ever 4-5 years is a foolish financial decision..IMHO

Purchased a Machine Grey Metallic 2019 CX-5 Signature today in Houston, TX. Financed at 0.9% with Mazda Capital Services.

MSRP: $36,890
Paint Color Charge: $300
Destination: $1,045
Total MSRP: $38,235

Mazda Loyalty Rebate: $750
Financing Cash: $500
Dealer Discount: $2,935
Total Discount: $4,185

Final sale price: $34,050
% off MSRP: ~11%

Had another dealer offer $33,500 inclusive of rebates, but it wasn't a done deal, the manager had to go to some higher up for approvals. I had gotten the price I was looking for and didn't want to shop around anymore so I made the purchased. This is a very nice vehicle and much quieter and well appointed compared to the 2017 Mazda3 GT /w PP that I traded in.

for it to be apples to apples on this site, % off MRSP is stated before any incentives or rebates because not everyone gets the same rebates. Without, you got 7.67% off.
If you financed at .9, how did you get $500 cash rebate, it's one or the other I believe.

you financed at 4% for over 6 years? Ouch...
I'm a believer in paying in cash or financing at 1% or below for no more than 5 years. If I can't do that then I can't afford the vehicle.
Buying a new vehicle ever 4-5 years is a foolish financial decision..IMHO

Ouch? That's how you live your life. Good for you. Not sure how your personal goals should reflect their buying decision.

Ouch? That's how you live your life. Good for you. Not sure how your personal goals should reflect their buying decision.

just pointing out that financing at 4% for 75 months is not a smart financial move. Maybe it will help someone else reading this thread.
Normally, not good idea to throw away $3,100 in interest on a depreciable asset

Last edited:
just pointing out that financing at 4% for 75 months is not a smart financial move. Maybe it will help someone else reading this thread.

Just for chit-chat purposes...That's what people said when I got a mortgage at 9%. Then Carter came into office and I looked like a genius.

No one knows what the future rates will be, and there's nothing wrong with financing a car over a 6 year period if that's how long he expects to get use out of it. Financing groceries over any period of time is not a smart financial move, because you're still making payments long after they have been consumed. But a 6 year car loan? Why is that a problem?

Just for chit-chat purposes...That's what people said when I got a mortgage at 9%. Then Carter came into office and I looked like a genius.

No one knows what the future rates will be, and there's nothing wrong with financing a car over a 6 year period if that's how long he expects to get use out of it. Financing groceries over any period of time is not a smart financial move, because you're still making payments long after they have been consumed. But a 6 year car loan? Why is that a problem?

Not a problem, just not smart financially to finance a depreciable asset. I know many people do and believe it's the "normal" thing to do. Just like trading in a car after 2-4 years, not smart financially...but some put their immediate wants over saving for retirement.

Last edited:
for it to be apples to apples on this site, % off MRSP is stated before any incentives or rebates because not everyone gets the same rebates. Without, you got 7.67% off.
If you financed at .9, how did you get $500 cash rebate, it's one or the other I believe.

Oh ok, thanks for the correction.

As you stated, different people get different rebates. TX has $500 cash for the 0.9% financing.

Oh ok, thanks for the correction.

As you stated, different people get different rebates. TX has $500 cash for the 0.9% financing.

What part of TX? Austin area shows this: "Customer Cash cannot be combined with all offers, including special lease and special APR offers"

that's great. What if you didn't finance..still $500 rebate?

For TX, rebate without financing was $1,000 for signature and gtr, $1,500 for GT and below. I compared some zip codes and it seems the gulf coast states are getting more rebates. I guess the dealers need some extra help... we do like our full sized trucks and 3 row SUV here.

Back