What did you pay for your CX-5?

Pretty sure he's not. I've seen several of your posts in this thread. None are helpful. You have no recent purchase experience and seem to be just commenting to try and make yourself feel superior. This is the internet, so I guess it can be expected.

Yea, that's it, you got me...

LOL, Wrong, Again...

You're a prime example of why I totally quit helping people on here for awhile...

Last edited:
Hello,

Looking to purchase my first car. Mazda CX -5 GT AWD in deep crystal blue.

We are probably going to pay cash, not interested in fimancing.

Total MSRP:$32,890
Quoting: $27,888 + TTL (assuming 12%)

So total assuming 12% is $31,234.56 which doesn't look like that much off MSRP.

My question is

1) is this a good price? Should I ask for invoice price and go from there?
2) can we get this lower?

Is there an additional lowering in price we can negotiate since we are paying in cash?

Ideally I would like to pay $30K OTD or less.

Let me get this straight... You're getting 5 grand off MSRP... And you're not happy? Am I clear on that? It's a good deal.

Paying cash isn't the big deal it used to be. Dealer offered me an extra $500 off if I paid cash. Did you ask?

Last edited:
Yeah, being a "dick" is so much better. (headshake

Why not take it a step further and stop being completely unhelpful?

If you don*t like my resources, then block me. Don*t be more of a douche about it, it really is that simple...

I don*t share PM*s, never have, never will, but there*s more than a handful that prove otherwise...

Last edited:
Hello,

Looking to purchase my first car. Mazda CX -5 GT AWD in deep crystal blue.

We are probably going to pay cash, not interested in fimancing.

So total assuming 12% is $31,234.56 which doesn't look like that much off MSRP.

My question is

1) is this a good price? Should I ask for invoice price and go from there?
2) can we get this lower?

Is there an additional lowering in price we can negotiate since we are paying in cash?

Ideally I would like to pay $30K OTD or less.

Bringing up *invoice* is setting yourself up for failure in achieving the great price you*re looking for. There is no such number, except for the dealer to use against you...These guys can flame me and ridicule me all they want, it*s true...Yes, 12% is highly doable, don*t let anyone tell you it*s not. If you*re so content in paying cash, then take that exact amount in cash with you, and use the *take it or leave it* mentality, and walk until you get it...

Last edited:
Let me get this straight... You're getting 5 grand off MSRP... And you're not happy? Am I clear on that?

Paying cash isn't the big deal it used to be. Dealer offered me an extra $500 off if I paid cash. Did you ask?

This is true, and with the 0.9% financing, and low rates all around, I*ll put that cash elsewhere and kill that return over the years...

Pulled the trigger today! Couldn't be happier! I shopped about 6 dealers in the area and found a price none of other dealers would match or beat around me. Might have saved a bit more if I waited until the end of the month (or even in the coming months since 2020s are hitting the lots soon) but this vehicle had a few selling points that made it worth it to me.

2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature - Machine Gray
MSRP: $38,253
Sale Price: $34,268 (includes $750 owner loyalty - no $500 customer cash in lieu of 0.9% APR)
About 10% off!

All other dealers I was shopping wouldn't beat this price. Had to drive an hour to get it, but it meant a lot to have the price and no test drive abuse (only 4 miles on the odometer plus I hate that most Ohio dealers pre-install the front license plate bracket, this one didn't have it).

The interest rate is so low (0.9%) that I put $0 down and got GAP Insurance through my insurance company. Putting $0 down I will pay ~$850 in interest over 5 years... I was planning on putting 20% down but that would only save me around ~$200 in interest over the term so going to stick that $8k in an investment account and let it grow. GAP Insurance is great, just don't overpay and do research before purchasing as not all GAP Insurance is equal and there are "GAP-like" offerings that may not be enough to cover the loan in an event of a total loss in the first few years. I know laws vary by state on how GAP can be purchased but your insurance company may have it as low as $5/month and you can cancel it anytime. Typically once you are about 3 years into the loan you shouldn't need it anymore. Mazdas do depreciate a little more than average so just check the current market value at that time to determine when to cancel it. Once the loan amount is less than the value of the vehicle, that is when you should cancel.

Some pics of the new whip...
cx5sigfront_small.jpgcx5sigside_small.jpg

Last edited:
Pulled the trigger today! Couldn't be happier! I shopped about 6 dealers in the area and found a price none of other dealers would match or beat around me. Might have saved a bit more if I waited until the end of the month (or even in the coming months since 2020s are hitting the lots soon) but this vehicle had a few selling points that made it worth it to me.

Sale Price: $34,268 (includes $750 owner loyalty - no $500 customer cash in lieu of 0.9% APR)
About 10% off!

All other dealers I was shopping wouldn't beat this price. Had to drive an hour to get it, but it meant a lot to have the price and no test drive abuse (plus I hate that most Ohio dealers pre-install the front license plate bracket, this one didn't have it).

The interest rate is so low (0.9%) that I put $0 down and got GAP Insurance through my insurance company. Putting $0 down I will pay ~$850 in interest over 5 years... I was planning on putting 20% down but that would only save me around ~$200 in interest over the term so going to stick that $8k in an investment account and let it grow. GAP Insurance is great, just don't overpay and do research before purchasing as not all GAP Insurance is equal and there are "GAP-like" offerings that may not be enough to cover the loan in an event of a total loss in the first few years. I know laws vary by state on how GAP can be purchased but your insurance company may have it as low as $5/month and you can cancel it anytime. Typically once you are about 3 years into the loan you shouldn't need it anymore. Mazdas do depreciate a little more than average so just check the current market value at that time to determine when to cancel it. Once the loan amount is less than the value of the vehicle, that is when you should cancel.

Some pics of the new whip...
View attachment 221173View attachment 221174

Congrats and you did get a good deal! Are you planning on adding a remote starter or dash cam? I am looking at both but trying to decide which way to go.

Here is usually how I calculate the price to pay or whether a price quoted is good.

(Invoice Price) - (Customer Cash Back) - (special discount, loyalty, military, etc) - (dealer's volume discount 1-2%) + (a few hundreds $$)
Forget about MSRP... who care?

Your case:
MSRP: $38,253 (should be $38,235)

Invoice = $35453 + color($300) + destination $1045 => adjust invoice $36798
- $750 - $500 => $35548
Assume that your dealer sells loads of Mazda, they get 1-2% cash back from Mazda. That is about $700.
So, $34848 would be a fair price.
That is assuming cash price.
By financing, the formula gets more complex.
Good price, I would say. Congrats!

Last edited:
Trim MSRP Invoice
Touring AWD $28,015 $27,209
Touring FWD $26,615 $25,850
Grand Touring AWD $31,445 $30,222
Grand Touring FWD $30,045 $28,877
Grand Touring Reserve AWD $34,870 $33,513
Signature AWD $36,890 $35,452
Sport AWD $25,750 $25,269
Sport FWD $24,350 $23,897

Congrats and you did get a good deal! Are you planning on adding a remote starter or dash cam? I am looking at both but trying to decide which way to go.

Thanks! I've been debating on a dash cam for my past few vehicles as I know a few people who have had them help them in accidents before. I'd want a clean (hidden wires) install since the clutter would bug me. I've seen some good posts here in the other Mazdas247 forums that hide the cables nicely and they get wireless rear cameras... I'd be skeptical on battery life though.

Remote start I am definitely considering, I heard the Mazda phone app remote start is sub-par so might just go with the OEM keyfob or after market Again, I'll need to do some research here. I'm sure once the weather starts cooling down it'll motivate me a little more, haha.

What dash cams and/or remote starters are you considering?

First order of business:
1) Tint windows
2) DIY Ceramic Coat (I love detailing cars)
3) All-weather matts/trunk liner
4) Kick plates for the door panels and trunk
5) K&N Air Filter after engine break-in

That should get me through summer and in the fall I'll determine what upgrades are next :) Definitely wanna get a roof rack and small hitch to get my bikes to the trails.

Based on my formula.... :)
$30222 + $0 (color) + $1045 (destination) = $31267
-$1000 cash back = $30267
-$750 loyalty (assume you do) = $29517
-2% ($600) => $28917

$27888 is an extremely good price... unless there is a mistake somewhere... ???

Some dealers play tricks on *employee pricing*. (extra $1000 off or so)
I won't comment on that.

Last edited:
Here is usually how I calculate the price to pay or whether a price quoted is good.

(Invoice Price) - (Customer Cash Back) - (special discount, loyalty, military, etc) - (dealer's volume discount 1-2%) + (a few hundreds $$)
Forget about MSRP... who care?

Your case:
MSRP: $38,253 (should be $38,235)

Invoice = $35453 + color($300) + destination $1045 => adjust invoice $36798
- $750 - $500 => $35548
Assume that your dealer sells loads of Mazda, they get 1-2% cash back for Mazda. That is about $700.
So, $34848 would be a fair price.
That is assuming cash price.
By financing, the formula gets more complex.
Good price, I would say. Congrats!

Thanks Ceric! This was a simple interest loan (0.9% for up to 63 months) and Chase has zero bank fees for starting the loan so it was cut and dry for this transaction. If I get some time I'll edit all the personal info out of my contract and upload it here as it might help some people. Appreciate the breakdown and affirmation on the deal!

About 10% off!

Congrats and great deal on a Sig! We still love ours after 6 months! :)

Based on my formula.... :)
$30222 + $0 (color) + $1045 (destination) = $31267
-$1000 cash back = $30267
-$750 loyalty (assume you do) = $29517
-2% ($600) => $28917

$27888 is an extremely good price... unless there is a mistake somewhere... ???

Great breakdown and deal analysis, again! This is an amazing deal!

I think dealing off of MSRP is a horrible way to go (but there are a few ppl on this forum that think otherwise). I sold, did finance, and managed the IT side of a dealership for 7 years and all of the programs dealerships work their numbers is off of the invoice price. I'm not sure why that mindset is in this thread but they are more passionate about disregarding invoice rather than MSRP (MSRP being THE most unimportant number there is, as you said). I don't think a majority of people understand that dealerships don't own the vehicles, they finance them... so the sooner they sell the unit the lower the amount of interest they pay which can impact a deal greatly, especially at certain times of the year. I've sat until midnight calculating deals on the phone with our Mazda regional sales rep at the end of the month to hit manufacturer programs to get those sales in at the end of the month. (read: dealer cash, kick backs, and manufacture tier goals, among even more convoluted incentives). We would have even lost $2,000 to get one more sale and throw 3 cars into the loaner service to hit some goals and the kickback is well worth it for the dealer bonuses. Its about numbers of units sold for the dealership on new cars (the real money for individual car sales is in used cars), the amount of profit they make on a single new car sale is relatively negligible if they don't hit the goals and sell a lot of cars.

All that said my best advise to buyers is to take the advertised incentives that you qualify for and take those off of the invoice price, then shop that number to as many dealers as you are willing to travel to over the phone or web. There will be a dealer, eventually, that will give you an amazing number no one else will match. This is because they have a big incentive to sell more new cars that month to get paid. This is typically best done at the end of the month or before the new model comes out. The latter being the best incentives on financing rates.

I'm glad you're hear doing the real math and letting people know the bottom line. Thanks!

Last edited:
Thanks! I've been debating on a dash cam for my past few vehicles as I know a few people who have had them help them in accidents before. I'd want a clean (hidden wires) install since the clutter would bug me. I've seen some good posts here in the other Mazdas247 forums that hide the cables nicely and they get wireless rear cameras... I'd be skeptical on battery life though.

Remote start I am definitely considering, I heard the Mazda phone app remote start is sub-par so might just go with the OEM keyfob or after market Again, I'll need to do some research here. I'm sure once the weather starts cooling down it'll motivate me a little more, haha.

What dash cams and/or remote starters are you considering?

First order of business:
1) Tint windows
2) DIY Ceramic Coat (I love detailing cars)
3) All-weather matts/trunk liner
4) Kick plates for the door panels and trunk
5) K&N Air Filter after engine break-in

That should get me through summer and in the fall I'll determine what upgrades are next :) Definitely wanna get a roof rack and small hitch to get my bikes to the trails.

Leaning towards a Garmin with a clean install as well. Like you-the cable clutter would drive me nuts!
Looks like you will be busy with your new ride! Enjoy!!

Leaning towards a Garmin with a clean install as well. Like you-the cable clutter would drive me nuts!
Looks like you will be busy with your new ride! Enjoy!!

Came to lol at your name. Then re-read it rip

Back