What did you pay for your CX-5?

Hi,

I am new to this forum and in the market for a new or recent used cx 5.
I don't really have experience in buying cars, or negotiating. So i hope you can help me out some.

I found a 2018 gt for sale with 18000 miles on it. They are asking 24999 for it.
I was wondering how much lower i should offer, or what a good otd price should be.

Also i found a new 2018 touring without pp the msrp is 29835 for that.
Since we are april 19 and they still have a 2018 how much discount should i look for? Seems like they don't have rebates for the moment.
I live in Maine where sales tax are 5.5%.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Yes, it stands for premium package. And it was FWD. No need for AWD in California.

Got it.
Well $29.5 out the door is about $700 less than the lowest price I was able to find/negotiate (after talking with and, or, visiting 5 SF Bay Area dealerships), so I think you got a great deal.

Hi,

I am new to this forum and in the market for a new or recent used cx 5.
I don't really have experience in buying cars, or negotiating. So i hope you can help me out some.

I found a 2018 gt for sale with 18000 miles on it. They are asking 24999 for it.
I was wondering how much lower i should offer, or what a good otd price should be.

Also i found a new 2018 touring without pp the msrp is 29835 for that.
Since we are april 19 and they still have a 2018 how much discount should i look for? Seems like they don't have rebates for the moment.
I live in Maine where sales tax are 5.5%.

Thanks in advance for any help.

I recently purchased a 2017 CX-5 Touring AWD with premium package with 15,000 miles for $22,500 (Orange County, CA) (before tax fees etc)

It would have been cool to have the safety features the 2018 touring has (lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, smart braking) but I probably wouldn't ever used them which is why I was comfortable with purchasing a 2017. Also after reading some threads the 17 inch wheels are less harsh than the 19's, plus they look better in my opinion.

Per KBB I got a great deal.

Bought a 2019 CX-5 Signature with a MSRP of $38,480 for $35,299. The dealer I used in Baltimore MD was a bit of a hike for me and I had to shop around a bit. Most of the dealers were only offering a few hundred off of List Price and none were willing to meet the price I got. And the dealer didn't make me quibble at all. It was a great buying experience and I'm very pleased with the car. My first Mazda! I traded in a 2015 Acura RDX which I was "meh" about. I didn't really need a new car, but I wanted all the latest safety technology available today.

Planning on making my purchase towards the end of the year and I'm in the same area - which dealer was this?

I recently purchased a 2017 CX-5 Touring AWD with premium package with 15,000 miles for $22,500 (Orange County, CA) (before tax fees etc)

It would have been cool to have the safety features the 2018 touring has (lane keep assist, adaptive cruise control, smart braking) but I probably wouldn't ever used them which is why I was comfortable with purchasing a 2017. Also after reading some threads the 17 inch wheels are less harsh than the 19's, plus they look better in my opinion.

Per KBB I got a great deal.

My family has both a 2016 CX-5 and 2019 CX-5. In some ways the 16's ride/drive is better. Up here in Nor Cal are selling 2016's and 17's with 40,000 or more miles for less than you paid, so it seems to me you got a very good deal.
For accessories, I highly recommend the CX-5 soft cargo liner , here is the link:

https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts...MIop6Dsqe54QIVrR-tBh2MjwP0EAQYAiABEgJfJ_D_BwE

We have both the soft cargo liner as well as the hard rubber "heavy duty"cargo mat. We like the soft cargo liner better because it it is lighter weight, covers the back of the rear seats, and also has a cool flip down piece (which protects the rear of the car when moving items in and out of the cargo area).

For accessories, I highly recommend the CX-5 soft cargo liner , here is the link:

https://www.mazdaswag.com/oem-parts...MIop6Dsqe54QIVrR-tBh2MjwP0EAQYAiABEgJfJ_D_BwE

We have both the soft cargo liner as well as the hard rubber "heavy duty"cargo mat. We like the soft cargo liner better because it it is lighter weight, covers the back of the rear seats, and also has a cool flip down piece (which protects the rear of the car when moving items in and out of the cargo area).

+1 on the soft cargo liner.
I've had them for my Mazda3 hatchbacks as well as my CX-5s.
Great protection for all of the reasons that DG_1234 stated. (thumb)

hi all looking to buy a 2019 CX-5 for my wife in the next week or so. initially we were targeting the CX-5 GT Reserve. after thinking it through, i am not sure we can justify the cost as my wife will mainly use it for a short commute and i just don't know if i see the value add of the turbo. feel free to put me in my place on that one.

anyhow, onto the pricing.

GT Reserve
the best price i found for the GT Reserve was a selling price of $33,775. initially they told me it was $33,025 but then told me that included the rebate and the rebate doesn't get taken off until AFTER taxes. the OTD price was $36,705 but the salesperson would not give me an itemized breakout of the fees.

GT with PP
Just started shopping these yesterday and the best quote for selling price i have gotten is $30,313. i am awaiting the itemized OTD price.

both of these quotes are from a dealer in New Jersey.

thoughts on all fronts?

thanks!

hi all looking to buy a 2019 CX-5 for my wife in the next week or so. initially we were targeting the CX-5 GT Reserve. after thinking it through, i am not sure we can justify the cost as my wife will mainly use it for a short commute and i just don't know if i see the value add of the turbo. feel free to put me in my place on that one.

GT Reserve
the best price i found for the GT Reserve was a selling price of $33,775. initially they told me it was $33,025 but then told me that included the rebate and the rebate doesn't get taken off until AFTER taxes. the OTD price was $36,705 but the salesperson would not give me an itemized breakout of the fees.

GT with PP
Just started shopping these yesterday and the best quote for selling price i have gotten is $30,313. i am awaiting the itemized OTD price.

thoughts on all fronts?

thanks!

I recently sold a Soul Red 2016 CX-5 FWD and purchased a Soul Red 2019 AWD . These cars have plenty of power so I've never even considered a turbo version.
My recommendation is to buy an AWD CX-5, $31,000 out the door price, whichever color your wife likes best.

GT Reserve

GT with PP

thoughts on all fronts?

thanks!

I would venture out to PA or MD.

Jersey is not willing to deal as much as PA or MD.

You can definitely get it for lower than $36,705 OTD from PA or MD.

I would inquire at multiple dealerships in PA/MD and see what kind of breakdown they give you and use that as leverage against each other.

Not to mention the fact that the Doc Fees in PA/MD or significantly lower than NJ.

I recently sold a Soul Red 2016 CX-5 FWD and purchased a Soul Red 2019 AWD . These cars have plenty of power so I've never even considered a turbo version.
My recommendation is to buy an AWD CX-5, $31,000 out the door price, whichever color your wife likes best.
i like the sound of that price but since she's buying i think she wants to splurge for the GT with PP.

unless you guys think the PP is meh.

i like the sound of that price but since she's buying i think she wants to splurge for the GT with PP.

unless you guys think the PP is meh.

I did not look at features of the Premium Package (other than digital read out appearing on the front windshield, which I did not care for).
The $31,000 out the door price I suggested is for a CX-5 Grand Touring AWD. I believe the AWD feature is about the same upcharge as the PP feature.

just got the OTD price here in NJ/NY for the 2019 AWD CX-5 GT with PP:

Selling Price: $30,299
Tax: $2,689.80
DMV Fee: $400
Doc Fee: $369
Window Etching: $199
TOTAL: $33,957

Thoughts?

just got the OTD price here in NJ/NY for the 2019 AWD CX-5 GT with PP:

Selling Price: $30,299
Tax: $2,689.80
DMV Fee: $400
Doc Fee: $369
Window Etching: $199
TOTAL: $33,957

Thoughts?

Window etching is right up there with nitrogen in the tires. Pure dealer ripoff item!

Even if it wasn't a scam it's useless on a CX5. There's cars don't get stolen...

Last edited:
Window etching is right up there with nitrogen in the tires. Pure dealer ripoff item!

window etching really?
they might as well add undercoating for your car too.
https://www.aarp.org/money/scams-fraud/info-2016/car-buyers-beware-sneaky-costs.html

Even if it wasn't a scan it's useless on a CX5. There's cars don't get stolen...

oh i totally agree and plan on telling him to get rid of it. that said, if we take that off the OTD price - did i get a solid deal?

anyone know if i can get any lower?

Last edited:
oh i totally agree and plan on telling him to get rid of it. that said, if we take that off the OTD price - did i get a solid deal?

anyone know if i can get any lower?

How many Mazda dealers are there within an hours drive of you ?
Here in the SF Bay Area there are lots of Mazda dealers so negotiating a price is relatively easy. For around here, at least, the OTD price you are getting quoted seems about $2,500 too high. If your area has multiple dealerships have you shopped those stores as well, or have you only talked to one dealership ?

Back