What did you pay for your CX-5?

Not a good price at all, only 7%. Even the *you think you*re getting a good price* TrueCar, Edmunds, and Costco prices can beat that...

Hey, Nelson.

I'm looking at a CX-5 GT with premium pkg and a bunch of accessories.

Edmunds yielded an MSRP of $35,135 and a "True Market Value" of $33,422. That's 4.88% off MSRP.
Then it showed a "Customer Cash Adjusted True Market Value that was $500 less, at $32,922. That's 6.3% off MSRP.

What am I missing? I'd love to get 10% or more, but I don't see where those figures are coming from. That 6% is close to what I've already got them at. Saving $2k would pay for paint film ;)

Well, using the services like TrueCar cost you about $300 (their fee from the dealer), so there*s another 1% there...

Then, just 70 miles north of you in Fredericksburg, and all of the DC area, the $500 Customer Cash is actually $1k, so there*s another $500, or 1.5%. We*ve saved $800, or close to 2.5% already, and gotten to 9% total...

The rest I do on my own, I don*t mind traveling for the car, and I don*t mind being patient and waiting on the deal. Impulse buys is what they want, and also how they make up ten folds on folks like me getting incredible deals...

Good luck...

Last edited:
Update: absolute desaster at the dealership today. Condescending bahvior and were lied to the face. Almost like a bait and switch. Never experienced anything like that. Speechless.

damn, man... May I ask what they said? I'm just preping for my CX-5 purchase later this year and curious to know what they lied about. For ex: A friend of mine whom I have been chating with (we both want to get CX-5) was told there is no CD in the the 2018 model and not to worry about long term effect XD

*Update. Sorry folks for not being clear. I was referring to Cylinder Deactivation, not CD Player.

Last edited:
damn, man... May I ask what they said? I'm just preping for my CX-5 purchase later this year and curious to know what they lied about. For ex: A friend of mine whom I have been chating with (we both want to get CX-5) was told there is no CD in the the 2018 model and not to worry about long term effect XD

Sent you a PM. Yeah, no CD in the 18s.

Make sure you're on the same page with your abbreviations guys/gals. There is no CD player on a '18 but there is CD cylinder deactivation. Seems like you're talking two different things to an outside observer.

I was at a dealership today to get a quote and the dealer was explaining the incentives going on right now (which I already knew). As you know, the rule is that if you take advantage of the $1K cash you need to finance through Mazda standard financing which starts at 4.9%. But the dealer told me one thing you can do is to take advantage of the cash incentive and finance with Mazda. But then pay the first two installments and then just refinance through your own credit union. Is this information correct? Anyone has such experience?

I was at a dealership today to get a quote and the dealer was explaining the incentives going on right now (which I already knew). As you know, the rule is that if you take advantage of the $1K cash you need to finance through Mazda standard financing which starts at 4.9%. But the dealer told me one thing you can do is to take advantage of the cash incentive and finance with Mazda. But then pay the first two installments and then just refinance through your own credit union. Is this information correct? Anyone has such experience?

I am looking at this exact option and threw the stuff into a spreadsheet.

My bank told me that they have never seen an early payment penalty on a car loan, and that lots of folks drive from the dealer to the bank to take out a replacement loan. My bank offers rates that are term-dependent; that is, the longer the length of the loan, the higher the rate. 4 year loan gets a 2.69% rate, 6 year loan gets a 4.04% rate.

Here are my figures

Out-the-door cost (includes sales taxes) for standard financing is $34,350.
Out-the-door cost (includes sales taxes) for 0% financing is $35,392.
The difference is not exactly $1,000 because of sales taxes.

Here is my comparison for Monthly Payment/Total Outlay for 0%/63 months and 2.69%/48 months, at different down payments (I chose a broad range of down payments to get a feel for how much difference it makes):

Down Pmt $0: @ 0%/63 mo. = $562/$35,392 || @2.69%/48mo. = $756/$36,270
Down Pmt $5k: @ 0%/63 mo. = $482/$35,392 || @2.69%/48mo. = $646/$35,990
Down Pmt $10k: @ 0%/63 mo. = $403/$35,392 || @2.69%/48mo. = $536/$35,711
Down Pmt $15k: @ 0%/63 mo. = $324/$35,392 || @2.69%/48mo. = $426/$35,431

In all cases, at the 2.69%/48 month loan my bank offers, giving up that $1,000 to get the 0% financing saves money over the life of the loan (if you can qualify for it). At $0 down payment, it saves $878 over the life of the loan. And because of the longer term, it makes the monthly payment lower by nearly $200 (at $0 down).

If I were doing this at work (before I retired), I would calculate the Net Present Value of each option (Diff Down Pmts/Diff. Int Rates/Diff Lengths), apply an assumed Cost of Money, and use that to make the decision. But for this case, the above is good enough to make a decision.

YMMV.

Verify these figures for yourself. I'm just some guy on the internet.

Last edited:

Personally, I don*t know if this dealer is correct. Like stated, I*ve bought two of these jewels now, 1 with $1k and 1 with $2k Customer Cash, and helped numerous other people online buy theirs. I got the Customer Cash and brought my own financing from my local credit union. My buddy used their recommended credit union at a rate of 2.84%, not the 4.9% Mazda financing through Chase. The only thing you can*t do is combine the O% and the Customer Cash, it*s one or the other, can*t blame them there...

Auto loans are never pay off early penalty. Neither is my mortgage. If it wasn*t, I walk to the next one that offers it like they should...

Last edited:
$500 Customer Cash good towards 2018 Mazda CX-5. Customer Cash cannot be combined with all offers, including special lease and special APR offers financed through Participating Lender.

From MazdaUSA website. *Special APR offer* meaning the 0%. Participating Lender meaning Mazda Chase.

Last edited:

My bank told me that they have never seen an early payment penalty on a car loan, and that lots of folks drive from the dealer to the bank to take out a replacement loan. My bank offers rates that are term-dependent; that is, the longer the length of the loan, the higher the rate. 4 year loan gets a 2.69% rate, 6 year loan gets a 4.04% rate.

Here are my figures

Here is my comparison for Monthly Payment/Total Outlay for 0%/63 months and 2.49%/48 months, at different down payments (I chose a broad range of down payments to get a feel for how much difference it makes):

Down Pmt $0: @ 0%/63 mo. = $562/$35,392 || @2.49%/48mo. = $756/$36,270
Down Pmt $5k: @ 0%/63 mo. = $482/$35,392 || @2.49%/48mo. = $646/$35,990
Down Pmt $10k: @ 0%/63 mo. = $403/$35,392 || @2.49%/48mo. = $536/$35,711
Down Pmt $15k: @ 0%/63 mo. = $324/$35,392 || @2.49%/48mo. = $426/$35,431

In all cases, at the 2.49%/48 month loan my bank offers, giving up that $1,000 to get the 0% financing saves money over the life of the loan (if you can qualify for it). At $0 down payment, it saves $878 over the life of the loan. And because of the longer term, it makes the monthly payment lower by nearly $200 (at $0 down).

If I were doing this at work (before I retired), I would calculate the Net Present Value of each option (Diff Down Pmts/Diff. Int Rates/Diff Lengths), apply an assumed Cost of Money, and use that to make the decision. But for this case, the above is good enough to make a decision.

YMMV.

Your numbers are correct, however, you calculated at the original *4 year loan gets 2.69%*, instead of the 2.49% shown in the equation...

Last edited:
Your numbers are correct, however, you calculated at the original *4 year loan gets 2.69%*, instead of the 2.49% shown in the equation...

Thank you VERY much for verifying those numbers, Nelson!!!! I was hoping someone would take the time to do that.

It was actually a typo in my narrative. The rate is 2.69%.

No worries. Figured it was a typo. Weird, but the totals are off by $17 too, no biggie, even I will let them slide on that amount. ;)

Which totals?

Might it be due to a "Beginning of the Month/End of the Month" interest setting? I used Excel's default. Or I may have fat-fingered when I transcribed the numbers.

edit to add: It may be due to rounding. Multiplying the rounded monthly payment by number of months will not yield the totals I got, which were done in the spreadsheet using the unrounded payments.

Last edited:
Which totals?

Might it be due to a "Beginning of the Month/End of the Month" interest setting? I used Excel's default. Or I may have fat-fingered when I transcribed the numbers.

You*re good to go. I edited my post. Quick on the draw tonight aren*t cha. Lol. It was the *interest setting as stated*. All good...

You*re good to go. I edited my post. Quick on the draw tonight aren*t cha. Lol. It was the *interest setting as stated*. All good...

You know...it's always easier to review someone else's work.

I'm curious to see how stringent the requirements are for getting that 0% rate. I bought a GMC in 2005 and could not qualify.

If not, an extra $800 over 48 months ($200/year) is not gonna kill me.

Hi, I was quoted the following: 2018 FWD Touring, White, Preferred Equipment Package, MSRP 28,610 (includes destination fee) for 26,600 cash. No 0% financing. What do you think?

Hey Derklink,
I just bought a 2018 FWD Touring in Machine Grey, NO preferred package out the door for $26,200. Im in AZ so tax was 8.1%. I think you can get lower, mine was about 14% off MSRP I believe.

They also tried to stop the deal when I told them I wasnt financing a small amount through Mazda. Had to talk to GM who then said it was a misunderstanding and then let me go with my own option. Just dont play into their game.

Here are my figures

Here is my comparison for Monthly Payment/Total Outlay for 0%/63 months and 2.69%/48 months, at different down payments (I chose a broad range of down payments to get a feel for how much difference it makes):

Down Pmt $0: @ 0%/63 mo. = $562/$35,392 || @2.69%/48mo. = $756/$36,270
Down Pmt $5k: @ 0%/63 mo. = $482/$35,392 || @2.69%/48mo. = $646/$35,990
Down Pmt $10k: @ 0%/63 mo. = $403/$35,392 || @2.69%/48mo. = $536/$35,711
Down Pmt $15k: @ 0%/63 mo. = $324/$35,392 || @2.69%/48mo. = $426/$35,431

In all cases, at the 2.69%/48 month loan my bank offers, giving up that $1,000 to get the 0% financing saves money over the life of the loan (if you can qualify for it). At $0 down payment, it saves $878 over the life of the loan. And because of the longer term, it makes the monthly payment lower by nearly $200 (at $0 down).

YMMV.

Thanks for the detailed post. Yes, the 0% financing is better in almost all scenarios (perhaps except if you buy a Sport). The dealer today told me a FICO score of 700 and above should be able to get the 0% financing. Don't know how accurate it is though.

Personally, I don*t know if this dealer is correct. Like stated, I*ve bought two of these jewels now, 1 with $1k and 1 with $2k Customer Cash, and helped numerous other people online buy theirs. I got the Customer Cash and brought my own financing from my local credit union. My buddy used their recommended credit union at a rate of 2.84%, not the 4.9% Mazda financing through Chase. The only thing you can*t do is combine the O% and the Customer Cash, it*s one or the other, can*t blame them there...

Auto loans are never pay off early penalty. Neither is my mortgage. If it wasn*t, I walk to the next one that offers it like they should...

Yeah, I remember what you said before about financing with Mazda. I'm not gonna do that of course. I just wanted to see if this one is also an option or not. I really want to pull the trigger but the possibility of a $2K customer cash in two months or so is keeping me from purchasing right now.

Yeah, I remember what you said before about financing with Mazda. I'm not gonna do that of course. I just wanted to see if this one is also an option or not. I really want to pull the trigger but the possibility of a $2K customer cash in two months or so is keeping me from purchasing right now.

I hardly ever ask this, but can you get me up to speed on the issue with Mazda financing? Normally I would go back through the comments and read for myself, but this thread is over 300 pages. I was going to finance through Mazda if I can qualify for the 0%. The guys at my dealership had no idea what approval parameters were and did not want to make any representations regarding what the financing folks may or may not do.

FYI I just plugged in the extra discount for that $2,000 customer cash, and over the life of the loans, the 2.69% saves $223 in total payments versus 0% financing.

Back