What did you pay for your CX-5?

Well I just wrote down what the receipt gave me. If you think its Troll ... get a life ... see pic attached ... I didnt do that math yet ... too excited ...

*Edited*
Well I checked back and it looks like I added the accessories twice ... amount should be $3,636.45 =) ... too excited to check it ... will fix it...
I figured out why you think it is 3.7% ... because of fine print ... well any discount on a car that is not in the market yet is better than nothing ...

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but I'm absolutely stunned by all of the add-on charges.
The dealership employees will be talking about your deal for decades to come.
I bet this invoice has been framed and hung in the employee break room as motivation for all of the salespeople.

You paid nearly $2000 for "pre delivery expense" and "freight" ?
$2400 just to extend the bumper to bumper warranty for 2 years?
Nearly $1000 for leather & paint protection?
Two minutes if internet searching shows the $1000 "rust module" to be all but useless on vehicles.

As others have said, you could have purchased Mazda OEM parts/accessories for half the price you paid. These are not "aftermarket" parts as you've referred to them. They are identical to what the dealership sold you.

Also, I'm curious what the $1656 "other accessories" charge is for?

I'm not sure what the laws are in Canada, but I bet you could cancel this deal and get a full refund, which I would do immediately!

I'm not trying to burst your bubble, but I'm absolutely stunned by all of the add-on charges.
I bet this invoice has been framed and hung in the employee break room as motivation for all of the salespeople.

Two minutes if internet searching shows the $1000 "rust module" to be all but useless on vehicles.

As others have said, you could have purchased Mazda OEM parts/accessories for half the price you paid. These are not "aftermarket" parts as you've referred to them. They are identical to what the dealership sold you.

I'm not sure what the laws are in Canada, but I bet you could cancel this deal and get a full refund, which I would do immediately!

*sigh* again... try reading up my previous reply? Don't want to sound like a broken record but here we go ...

Pre-Delivery Fee $600 <- I'll ask this one to my dealer but the freight, it is a given. Car is not in the dealership location yet.

2 Years extra for warranty includes replacement of Windshield using OEM products and more. Does your Mazda 3 year warranty cover your windshield replacement? Probably not.

Paint Protection and Leather if you consider keeping it for 10 years which is only $100 a year to not worry about any accidental damage to leather and any signs of rust perforation will quickly get fix including labour.

Rust Modules, again from my own experienced of my Mazda 3 2009 GT which is known to be rust magnet is still RUST free up to this date without using any rust spray except for the Rust Module that I bought.

OEM accessories, well that is my choice to have a brand name accessories and looking at the mazdashop.ca, they are basically same price and those other ones that others are referring into does not have the CX5 brand.

The other accessories are the cargo cover, tray and a set of michellin winter tires, FYI, so don't know why you curious about that amount. Winter tire in Canada sounds about right eh?

Why would I cancel this deal when all the options that I listed was my own choice? And hopefully my dealer person do get an award for selling the first 2018 CX5 fully loaded since I have known him when my dad purchased our MVP back in 2003 and he still there in near retirement age. Cheers (eekdance)...

Last edited:

Freight charges at my dealer (in Southern Alberta) are $1,895 CAD for the CX-5. They won't bargain on that cost either, it is part of their sticker price. They will move elsewhere though.

OP may have paid a non-refundable deposit, which he might forfeit if he cancels after he signs, but since he just did deal yesterday they probably have not even ordered the car yet and he certainly has not done all the "final paperwork" at delivery. That is if he wanted to cancel, but does not sound like he is interested in doing that.

Last edited:
Rust Modules, again from my own experienced of my Mazda 3 2009 GT which is known to be rust magnet is still RUST free up to this date without using any rust spray except for the Rust Module that I bought.

My 2010 Mazda 3 is also still rust free up to this date. Without using any rust spray OR a rust module. Rusting is generally more about climate and whether they use a lot of road salt where you are (and more importantly: having damage that exposes metal so that the chemical reaction can take hold). Manufacturers use paint that acts as a barrier between galvanized steel(zinc coated steel...as zinc will act as a sacrificial anode) and salt/water/pollutants, so preventing and repairing any deep chips/scratches is your best bet.

Rust modules work well on boats that are sitting in sea water. On cars? The research/testing indicates that they aren't as useful as claimed.

Last edited:
You had the 2010 version which was a much improved model for rust protection over the 2006-2009 model. People usually goes back to what they experienced hence the rust module...hell if it does not work at all for this cx-5 after 8 years then I won't buy it again on next car purchased. But that's 8 years from now =) ...

Freight charges at my dealer (in Southern Alberta) are $1,895 CAD for the CX-5. They won't bargain on that cost either, it is part of their sticker price. They will move elsewhere though.

OP may have paid a non-refundable deposit, which he might forfeit if he cancels after he signs, but since he just did deal yesterday they probably have not even ordered the car yet and he certainly has not done all the "final paperwork" at delivery. That is if he wanted to cancel, but does not sound like he is interested in doing that.

That is true. My dealer guy don't even know where the car is, he was just told by his manager that it is coming next week. Hell it may still be on the cargo ship right now being unload. I did pay $500 fee deposit which gets used to license fee and refund the rest. I still have to come next week to sign the final paper work then I can ask him to clarify other stuff like what is pre-delivery fee and where I get my Bose accessories.

I was quoted $31,698 before taxes/fees. Again, this was for a white 2017 2WD GT w/premium package and roof rails, the latter which I didn't necessarily want. Basically just over $1K off MSRP which seems weak. This was at 0% for 60 months however and I am not sure if dealers discount less with lower interest rates.
Yea, that's a normal deal kind of price.

Pre-Delivery Fee $600 <- I'll ask this one to my dealer...
So you voluntarily handed the dealer $600 out of the kindness of your heart?

2 Years extra for warranty includes replacement of Windshield using OEM products and more...
Why are you so fixated on this windshield coverage? You could replace the windshield 5-10 times for the $2400 you spent on the warranty. And do you realize your auto insurance covers windshield replacement?

Paint Protection and Leather if you consider keeping it for 10 years which is only $100 a year to not worry about any accidental damage to leather and any signs of rust perforation will quickly get fix including labour. Rust Modules, again from my own experienced of my Mazda 3 2009 GT which is known to be rust magnet is still RUST free up to this date without using any rust spray except for the Rust Module that I bought...
Why do you assume the lack of rust on your car is due to the Rust Module? Do some research, these things are completely useless on a vehicle. I have a 12 year old and 11 year old vehicle, both with 150k+ miles, and both of them have zero rust. The interiors still look brand new as well. For the $2000 you spent on these items, you could replace all of the seats or have the exterior completely repainted.

OEM accessories, well that is my choice to have a brand name accessories and looking at the mazdashop.ca, they are basically same price and those other ones that others are referring into does not have the CX5 brand...
Why are you pricing accessories from the corporate site? Those are RETAIL prices that no one should actually pay. I've found virtually all of your OEM accessories for approximately half of what you paid.

The other accessories are the cargo cover, tray and a set of michellin winter tires, FYI, so don't know why you curious about that amount...
How much were the winter tires by themselves? Are they just the tires, or do they include a dedicated set of wheels?

Why would I cancel this deal when all the options that I listed was my own choice? And hopefully my dealer person do get an award for selling the first 2018 CX5 fully loaded since I have known him when my dad purchased our MVP back in 2003 and he still there in near retirement age...
You should cancel the deal because you severely overpaid for all of the accessories, and spent thousands more for unnecessary warranty/protection packages.
Trust me, your salesperson will definitely get an award, along with a huge commission. Your deal probably had the most profit of any sale in company history.

Damn doc fees. My dealer charges $689 but because they know people hate it they also include three years of tire repair/road assistance, tire storage, and windshield treatments (the latter which, eh, but at least I can have satisfaction of knowing I can be a PITA every 3-4 months and take it in and make sure they retreat it since I had to pay that damn fee!)

Which Dealership did you purchase from?

Its official for me, went to the dealer to close a deal on Canada's Boxing Day (similar to Black Friday Deal). The dealership on our area hasn't got their CX5 2018 in stock yet but they sold their very first one TO ME =) ...

MSRP $36,600
Accessories $3,636.45 (Inlcludes Paint Charge (White), wheel locks, Premium Floor Liner Front & Back, Remote Starter, Window Visor, Mud Guards Front & Back, Rear Bumber Guard, Alloy Pedal Sets, Cargo Tray, Cargo Cover, and Winter Tire (Michellin))

Total $40,236.45
Discount (5%) $1,830.45 (MSRP only *damn fine print*)
Deliver Expense $600

Total Sale Price $39,006.00 (Before 15% CDN Tax)

The total sale price is great right before tax but in the end I still end up buying more option from the dealers and that freights/ac conditioner tax and OMVC fee addons X_X ....

OMVC Fee $10
Freight $1,295
A/C Tax $100
--------------------
Extend Warranty (Bumper to Bumper) from 3 years to 5 years $2,400 (Their extended warranty covers windshield replacement to use OEM products and not what insurance wants ... A MUST)
Rip Tear Burn - Leather $499
Paint Protection | Bubbling | Surface Rust Perforation (10 years) $399
APM 3100 Rust Module $995 (Why not)
Tint 2 Front Windows 35% $350
3m Hood & Fender (invisible guard) $589

Grand Total Price $45,659.50 (BEFORE TAX)
CDN Tax $5,935.74

FINAL TOTAL $51,595.24

Paint protection? Is this where you paid the dealer $400 to wax the car?

Windshields? That's what the comprehensive on your insurance is for. You already pay for this coverage.

Personally I think you could have saved a lot of money on the add-ons and easily done away with some of them.

$51k CX-5...wow that's a new one to me. Now I've seen everything. Looks like your dealer had a Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
Latest emailed price on a 2017 FWD GT w/premium package - $29,700 before tax/docs and $33K out the door. Need to do better!

Happy new owner and forum member checking in. Ok, lessor. If it helps as a data point, this is what I got today:

2017 CX-5 Grand Select FWD, Soul Red
+ cargo cover
MSRP $30,680
I started negotiating at $29,454 (invoice - holdback).
-$1470 lease cash rebate
-$1500 dealer/bank discount
=$26,454
+$301 fees
+$595 acquisition

Leased for 33 months and 15k miles per year, with $0 down beyond first month payment. Near-zero money factor ( 0% interest) and 57% residual helped the deal.

We pay a stupid amount of sales tax on leases in Texas, so...

33 payments of $350 per month. I'm happy. Wife is happy. All good. Just wish I had remembered to have them tint the front windows before I had signed the We Owe statement. Oh well.

Happy new owner and forum member checking in. Ok, lessor. If it helps as a data point, this is what I got today:

2017 CX-5 Grand Select FWD, Soul Red
+ cargo cover
MSRP $30,680
I started negotiating at $29,454 (invoice - holdback).
-$1470 lease cash rebate
-$1500 dealer/bank discount
=$26,454
+$301 fees
+$595 acquisition

Leased for 33 months and 15k miles per year, with $0 down beyond first month payment. Near-zero money factor ( 0% interest) and 57% residual helped the deal.

We pay a stupid amount of sales tax on leases in Texas, so...

33 payments of $350 per month. I'm happy. Wife is happy. All good. Just wish I had remembered to have them tint the front windows before I had signed the We Owe statement. Oh well.

Thanks for sharing. This really helps the next guy down the road during the purchase process.

I wonder if Ghostsniper wouldn't have been better off negotiating to ~31K USD without all the add-ons and putting the rest of the cash in the bank. I have a 2003 Pontiac from Brampton Ontario and rust isn't an issue, for one. I do see the point of XPel, if that's part of the package. I got it done on mine (the CX-5, not the Pontiac).

Last edited:
I wonder if Ghostsniper wouldn't have been better off negotiating to ~31K USD without all the add-ons and putting the rest of the cash in the bank. I have a 2003 Pontiac from Brampton Ontario and rust isn't an issue, for one. I do see the point of XPel, if that's part of the package. I got it done on mine (the CX-5, not the Pontiac).

I dunno why everyone is icky about all the addons that I have added. The total amount of all the ADDONS that I have added is equal to $6000 USD (includes CAD Tax) which consist of my winter tires with rim and all the accessories and different types of warranties that I have added minus the APM Rust module since I asked them to remove it so that the paint warranties will have some use.

The reason why my price is high it is because of all the MANDATORY REQUIRED fees that the dealer are giving such as $1900 CAD pre-delivery and freight (plus tax) and the damn high tax Canada gives.

The car itself without all the addons and warranties for a 2018 CX5 GT with just TECH package is equals to $35246.94 USD (this includes CAD Tax) there is no DISCOUNT ON NEW CARS even with Mazda Canada promotion (Except thru this dealership in my area), so I don't know why a lot is OVERACTING for an extra 6k USD I paid to want my car to have the extended warranties and the accessories that I wanted to have.

Geez Louisa.... Do you guys even stop to think how much does a NEW 2018 CX5 GT with TECH package right now in you area? Probably close to what I have if you don't include the Canada Tax ..... Or is it even avaiable for you to purchase ... probably not because even Mazda USA doesn't even list it on their website to be able to compare to Mazda Canada.

Remember Canada EH? Tax is 13% on anything that we buy ... No exception except certain native groups ...

*PS*... BillOhio... this whole post is not inteded for you... just wanted to quote the 31k USD which is not doable at all...

What I would like to see is if another person from my area (Ontario) who actually bought the exact same GT car as I did that can get it a lot lower than I did without all the addons and warranties then find similar addons and warranties that you buy outside the dealership then we can compare. I know RedCat just did recently too but he had trade in his car plus the loyalty rewards which gave him a discount of $4000 cad ... without it he would end up with $31k USD + $4k USD (Canada Tax) = $35k USD ...

*PPS* I paid in it full ... since I didn't like to be tied for 5 years of monthly $900 CAD and to save on the 1.99% finance fee ...

Last edited:
First time poster here and trying to get the best deal on a car.

Looking at a "used" 2017 AWD Black CX5 without Premium Package. It is "used" with 4K miles and offered as a CPO car as it was used as a courtesy car by the Mazda dealership. MSRP is $31,149 and they are offering a $2,261 discount right now for a $28,888 sale price. Out the door price is $31,995.

To me, there is no reason to buy this car unless it is at a highly discounted price. CPO warranty vs new warranty is significant, CPO financing offer is 0.9% @ 36 months vs current new financing offer is 0% @ 60 months. By reading everyone's posts here it seems as though majority are getting their cars WITH Premium Package for about the same price NEW.

With that said, I told him I don't want to waste my time and want their best price as I'm looking to buy this weekend. He said to provide me my number and he'll bring it to his manager. Would like to hear your thoughts

Go in with 18% off MSRP (4k miles, no premium package, CPO vs New, etc) which would give a $5.6K discount off of MSRP for a $25.5K sale price. Out the door price would be around $28.6K.

Thoughts on this? What would be an acceptable counter if they did?

Back