What did you pay for your CX-5?

Kornik - sorry to hear about your terrible experience =(
Hopefully I don't end up in the same predicament...so are you headed off to another dealer i'm assuming?
Yes, I went to another dealer and not only I got price below MSRP without asking and with no additional fees (like $30 fuel surcharge for delivery with full tank the first one wanted to get) but he was able to locate few (as in at least three) cars that are already on the semis going our way so he said there is still chance I'll get mine within 3-4 days. As a result I will have a car I want for about $500 less that I was going to and only few days later than I was promised originally. I wish I had gone there in the first place.

Interestingly the new dealer mentioned that he gets a lot of business from my town so it seems like I'm not alone in my opinion about local dealer.

What pissed me off yesterday is that the dealer tried to hit me with almost $1000 of different fees (like prep/detailing fee or fuel surcharge, as Mazda apparently forces them to deliver car with full tank) nobody cared to mention up to the point when we started signing papers. I almost walked away at that point.

That's exactly why the system was changed in Australia. The additions are set by law and must be strictly adhered to. Dealers must charge the same price, and any taxes and registration fees are set in stone.

It was much better therefore to buy the CX-5 this time around than when I purchased the Mazda 3, 7 years ago.
Back in those days, the prices were set by dealers and you had to play price wars with multiple dealers. I remember walking into 7 dealers and getting prices, then walking out when the price didn't agree with me.

I went to same dealer I bought my 3 from.
Very impressed when the dealer remembered my name, could tell me the colour, year and make of my car.... could even tell me the name of the guy that was with me.
That's service!

When it came to dealing with the price, he started with the published figure and started to take money from his margin - rather than adding to it.
It's a better way to buy.

That's exactly why the system was changed in Australia. The additions are set by law and must be strictly adhered to. Dealers must charge the same price, and any taxes and registration fees are set in stone.

It was much better therefore to buy the CX-5 this time around than when I purchased the Mazda 3, 7 years ago.
Back in those days, the prices were set by dealers and you had to play price wars with multiple dealers. I remember walking into 7 dealers and getting prices, then walking out when the price didn't agree with me.

I went to same dealer I bought my 3 from.
Very impressed when the dealer remembered my name, could tell me the colour, year and make of my car.... could even tell me the name of the guy that was with me.
That's service!

When it came to dealing with the price, he started with the published figure and started to take money from his margin - rather than adding to it.
It's a better way to buy.
I do not mind dealers having different prices, I do not mind adding different fees based on their feeling. What I do mind is hitting me with those fees after I signed up. Have I known that difference between the price I was seeing whole day and the price I'll be paying will be north of $1k I would have reconsidered my options. As I've said - I've spent a week at different dealerships and that Mazda dealer was the only one treating clients this way. In every other dealership the price we were talking about was always final net price (plus federal/state taxes and fees but never any dealer fees).

This new dealer behaved like yours - before we even started talking he already presented me with below MSRP price, then assured me there will be no additional fees other than state/federal imposed one and then threw in few extra perks like free oil changes. It can be done if the dealer cares about clients.

I don't envy you guys having to barter with the dealer. I'm signing the papers on a White Touring FWD with tech package tonight under my S-Plan. Before Tax/Title/Doc fee/plate its $25,868. The S-plan is nice cause its a set price and is non-negotiable on both side.

I don't envy you guys having to barter with the dealer. I'm signing the papers on a White Touring FWD with tech package tonight under my S-Plan. Before Tax/Title/Doc fee/plate its $25,868. The S-plan is nice cause its a set price and is non-negotiable on both side.
What is s-plan? And does your price include $795 delivery fee?

What is s-plan? And does your price include $795 delivery fee?

S-Plan is a discount for parts suppliers to Mazda. I''m suppose to pay the dealer invoice which is 25,868 including destination. But now the dealer is saying its 26,244. So I don't know what to believe. Searching the internet I get a couple different numbers.

It can be done if the dealer cares about clients.

I hope so. There shouldn't be extras after signing.
I'm yet to see my final figure actually.

The first time I went in to put deposit down, the price had not yet been agreed to by Mazda Australia. So the dealer gave me the range they'd provided an indicator.
He charged me the high end of that range, stating that he would change the price to whatever Mazda dictated.

We then worked off that figure taking into account my trade in.

When prices were announced, the dealer called to say that their estimate was close - but $50 too high. Which they deducted.
I then changed my order to include the Tech Pack (which for us is blind spot warn, lane change fatigue warn and auto high beam dimming). That's an agreed $2000 addition, although I think the Mazda price is higher, so we'll see how that is dealt with.

Will see the official price on Saturday :)
But prices here are well above the US after we drive away.

At least we're not in Singapore, where driving away in a CX-5 would be at a $140,000 cost.

At least we're not in Singapore, where driving away in a CX-5 would be at a $140,000 cost.

Actually it's $160,000 + roughly $50,000 in the COE (Certificate of Entitlement to be able to drive)...so you're looking at over 200k for one...i only know this cos my dad's there and he just went to the dealer there yesterday! Absolutely ridiculous...

I wanted to clear up the selling at invoice talk in here.

Theres 3 prices on every car -

Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) - What Mazda says the car is worth

Dealer invoice - What Mazda charges the dealer

Factory invoice - What it actually costs Mazda to build it

When Mazda offers incentives to customers, like $500 rebate, etc they typically offer a similar incentive to the dealer to sell it. So, the dealer invoice turns into an MSRP for the dealer. They can sometimes buy them from the factory at Factory invoice, or less, depending on the stock, etc.

Actually it's $160,000 + roughly $50,000 in the COE (Certificate of Entitlement to be able to drive)...so you're looking at over 200k for one...i only know this cos my dad's there and he just went to the dealer there yesterday! Absolutely ridiculous...

It was a guesstimate.... but what a painful system.

Singapore is one of our next-door neighbours, so I feel for them. A lot of Singaporeans here who complain about their system - but they can still afford it, most certainly.
And they do get an agreed amount back when selling.
I'd still feel ripped off.

Thankfully Japan doesn't have a similar system, because I might end moving back and forth between Japan and Australia, and I'd like to be able to afford what I can here.

S-Plan is a discount for parts suppliers to Mazda. I''m suppose to pay the dealer invoice which is 25,868 including destination. But now the dealer is saying its 26,244. So I don't know what to believe. Searching the internet I get a couple different numbers.

"Dealer Invoice" as reported on Edmunds etc. does not include National and regional advertising association charges that are passed along to the dealer (on the invoice). That's what pays for all the Zoom Zoom ads. It's a real cost to the dealer and part of the invoice. I know the Advertising charge on a Ford invoice is $485 (That's why you see Mike Rowe on the tube so often) so that second number would likely be correct..

"Dealer Invoice" as reported on Edmunds etc. does not include National and regional advertising association charges that are passed along to the dealer (on the invoice). That's what pays for all the Zoom Zoom ads. It's a real cost to the dealer and part of the invoice. I know the Advertising charge on a Ford invoice is $485 (That's why you see Mike Rowe on the tube so often) so that second number would likely be correct..

Yea I figured it out. The lower number did not include holdbacks and obviously the dealer is not going to move on those. Both numbers did include the advertising charges however.

I'm a new poster but have ben enjoying reading all the CX-5 info on here the past few weeks. Has anyone dealt with a dealer that has "Internet Pricing" on their websites. The dealer I will probably end up at (hoping to buy a Touring model this summer) posts Internet prices of the MSRP minus the Destination charge ($795) and some of their affiliated dealers are posting Internet prices for a few vehicles that end up being below Invoice.

I'm a new poster but have ben enjoying reading all the CX-5 info on here the past few weeks. Has anyone dealt with a dealer that has "Internet Pricing" on their websites. The dealer I will probably end up at (hoping to buy a Touring model this summer) posts Internet prices of the MSRP minus the Destination charge ($795) and some of their affiliated dealers are posting Internet prices for a few vehicles that end up being below Invoice.

When I first started searching for a CX-5 GT with the exact interior/exterior color combo we wanted, the only one I found anywhere east of the Mississippi was the one we eventually purchased. Part of the reason I jumped on it quickly was because the dealer had it listed with an internet price $1000 below MSRP (including destination charge). Now, the dealer ended up tacking on some of those absurd fees and had already installed some extras (window tint, pinstripe, nitrogen) that I paid a reasonable amount for, but when all was said and done I still walked out the door at just over MSRP. Of course, when the salesman went to his manager, the manager freaked because the CX-5s weren't supposed to be discounted and, sure enough, within a couple of hours the dealer's website had been updated and all of the CX-5s were listed at MSRP. Nevertheless, the dealer honored the discounted price for me (although they still made a reasonable profit when all was said and done).

i got a dealer quoting me at invoice plus $200. that means dealer's invoice + 200 ? is that a good deal ? this is for the touring model by the way

I wanted to clear up the selling at invoice talk in here.

Theres 3 prices on every car -

Manufacturer Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) - What Mazda says the car is worth

Dealer invoice - What Mazda charges the dealer

Factory invoice - What it actually costs Mazda to build it

When Mazda offers incentives to customers, like $500 rebate, etc they typically offer a similar incentive to the dealer to sell it. So, the dealer invoice turns into an MSRP for the dealer. They can sometimes buy them from the factory at Factory invoice, or less, depending on the stock, etc.

If that's the "out-the-door" price (or everything but tax, tag and title), I think on a vehicle this new with still-limited availability it would be a good price. But have the dealer give you an offer sheet that shows a breakdown of everything plus the bottom-line price to be sure that there aren't other fees or overpriced dealer add-ons.

S-Plan here... If you qualify, the dealer will hand you the invoice received from Mazda, and it lists right there what SPLAN pricing is.

Very simply and easy to buy!!!

Back