What did you pay for your CX-5?

I also got 13% off a couple of weeks ago playing the e-mail game. Depending on how many Mazda dealers are in your area, this could either work really well for you or not so much. There are 6 in the Atlanta area, so I was able to play them all against each other. It took about a month of going back and forth, and the dealer I ended up buying from in the end, I actually no-showed to the first time around when I was supposed to go in

Also, the dealer ended up installing nice looking front window tints on the car and not mentioning it to me or charging me for them (I looked over my bill of sale 4x to be sure). Which is nice for my area, but I have plans to move back up to NJ in the next few months, where any kind of tint on the front is illegal. So I'll have to deal with that somehow.

I just checked the Mazda USA website and noted for the CX5 a $500 incentive, which expires 1/3/2017, but saw nothing about the VW owner offer you mentioned. Any idea where else I should look? Thanks for the advice.

Follow this link.

https://www.mazdausa.com/shopping-tools/special-offers-and-incentives

Scroll down just a tad and you should see this.

"Special Offer - 2016/2016.5/2017 $750 MAZDA CUSTOMER BONUS CASH!"

Click on view details and this comes up.

"2016/2016.5/2017 $750 MAZDA CUSTOMER BONUS CASH!

$750 Customer Bonus Cash on the purchase or lease of a new 2016, 2016.5 or 2017 Mazda vehicle (excluding Mazda MX-5 RF):

This offer is for a limited time, so see your Mazda dealer today.

$750 Customer Bonus Cash is available for any 2016, 2016.5 or 2017 Mazda vehicle (excluding Mazda MX-5 RF) to previous or current registered owner or lessee purchased or leased in the U.S. prior to September 18, 2015 of 2.0 Liter TDI Diesel versions of the following models: 2013-2015 VW Beetle, Beetle Convertible, 2010-2013 VW Golf 2-Door, 2010-2015 VW Gulf 4-Door, 2015 VW Golf SportWagen, 2009-2015 VW Jetta, 2009-2014 VW Jetta SportsWagen, 2012-2015 VW Passat, 2010-2013 Audi A3 or 2015 Audi A3 vehicles. Current vehicle trade-in is not required. The offer is transferable within the owner's household (buyer must live at the same address). One copy of the current registration or title, a copy of the purchaser's current driver's license, a copy of the Mazda Sales Contract/Buyer's Order, Mazda Cash Back Rebate Form completely filled out, and a copy of "Vehicle Look-Up" where the customer information of the website is correct and it indicates that the vehicle is included. There is a limit of ONE (1) $750 Customer Bonus Cash incentive per customer, per eligible vehicle. This offer can be combined with other public offers, lease and APR incentives/offers. The Step-Up incentives is not stackable with Owner Loyalty or Lease Loyalty. The $750 Customer Bonus Cash purchase incentive has no cash value and must be applied to the purchase or lease structure as a capital cost reduction. Must take new retail delivery from dealer stock by 1/3/2017. Participating dealers only. See participating dealer for complete details. Offer valid through 1/3/2017."

Just checked again and still only see $500 for the CX-5 along with 2 lease offers and 2 zero percent purchase offers. I wonder if this offer of $750 is unique to certain regions of the country? One reason I say this, is that in the very top right portion of your referenced website, it says "find a dealer" and next to it, shows my current zip code. I am going to try another zip code and see what happens. Yup, that is it, when I use a Chicago zip code (since it shows you as being northern Illinois), it shows the bonus cash you mentioned. When I use a SE NC zip code, it just shows the $500. Ok, only a $250 difference, but interesting that incentives are so regionalized. Thanks for being so patient with me and glad that there was a difference and my senile mind is still semi-intact!!

Just checked again and still only see $500 for the CX-5 along with 2 lease offers and 2 zero percent purchase offers. I wonder if this offer of $750 is unique to certain regions of the country? One reason I say this, is that in the very top right portion of your referenced website, it says "find a dealer" and next to it, shows my current zip code. I am going to try another zip code and see what happens. Yup, that is it, when I use a Chicago zip code (since it shows you as being northern Illinois), it shows the bonus cash you mentioned. When I use a SE NC zip code, it just shows the $500. Ok, only a $250 difference, but interesting that incentives are so regionalized. Thanks for being so patient with me and glad that there was a difference and my senile mind is still semi-intact!!

Print it out and take it to your salesman, worse he can say is no. There's an additional $500 incentive on top of the $750. I got both.

Here's all the incentives that I got. Did you already spend your GoodWill money?

-$500 customer cash incentive
-$500 standard rate financing incentive (I'll pay off the loan in 3 months)
-$750 VW TDI to Mazda incentive (we own a VW TDI that's part of the DieselGate emissions scandal)
-$500 VW Goodwill VW dealer only card (this was given to all TDI owners by VW as part of a feel good gesture a while back and my card expires 11/30/16. the Mazda dealer allowed me to use this toward the CX-5 because the dealership also sells VW)

$2,250 total incentives/discounts

Last edited:
Will use your idea about printing out $750 TDI to Mazda incentive.

I had spent my Goodwill money credit with VW, cashing the balance out on some accessories for my wife (not auto parts, believe me). Still had $$ left on Debit Card and called issuer and they extended me a new card for another 12 months, but had to pay them $5, which was fine with me. Only problem is new card may not get here before end of the year.

Thanks again for all of your info and advice.

Just thought of two other points.

I am curious why incentives use the phrase " at participating dealers". Does this mean that the money comes out of the dealer's pocket vs reimbursed to the dealer by Mazda?

At what point did you bring up the incentives to the dealer you bought from? Was it during your email negotiation process or was it after you had agreed on a final price and you were physically present to buy the car ?

Just thought of two other points.

I am curious why incentives use the phrase " at participating dealers". Does this mean that the money comes out of the dealer's pocket vs reimbursed to the dealer by Mazda?

At what point did you bring up the incentives to the dealer you bought from? Was it during your email negotiation process or was it after you had agreed on a final price and you were physically present to buy the car ?

The incentives come out of Mazda's pocket and not the dealer's. The way some of these salesmen act you would think that the incentive came right out of their paycheck!

When I was corresponding with salespeople and getting quotes I specifically told them to give me a quote without any incentives applied (some I had to tell this to more than once). I told them that I knew what incentives I qualified for and I would subtract them from the quoted price myself. After I got all my quotes I told the salespeople what incentives I was eligible for (via e-mail) and the amounts just to double check the numbers. They all agreed on my numbers.

Interesting development. Called Mazda Corporate Customer Service to discuss VW Buyback Incentive not being offered in my region. They offered me an Employee S-Plan discount of $1,000 to come off the MSRP. Did caution that not all dealers will participate in this, but not sure why they wouldn't do that. Have already gotten two quotes back, but yes, they included the $500 Cash Back incentive in them. Appear to be around 7.5%-9% off.

Just turned in my VW Jetta earlier this week. Local Mazda dealer didn't know of the TDI discount, and I couldn't find anything online, looks like a no go here in So Cal.
My dealer's first offer was in the 7-9% off range, I shot for 15% but settled at 13%......

Sam

Hi everyone, Im new to the forum and figured this would be a pretty good place to start.

I Just picked up a new 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring FWD Black exterior and interior. MSRP was $29470 and I paid $25909 plus a free all weather cargo mat.

Can you expect 10-13% off msrp on a grand touring? I can see it on a sport pretty easily but prefer the leather seats and this option is only available on a grand touring models.

Hi everyone, Im new to the forum and figured this would be a pretty good place to start.

I Just picked up a new 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring FWD Black exterior and interior. MSRP was $29470 and I paid $25909 plus a free all weather cargo mat.

man, good job, congrats, that's like getting GT (leather) at a Touring price,

did you finance ? if so what was percentage rate, also how much did they offer for extended 100,000 mile warranty.

I see you're in NJ like me, wouldn't you want AWD for winter ? I wonder if dealers are willing to offer better deals on FWD for areas with snow........

Last edited:
man, good job, congrats, that's like getting GT (leather) at a Touring price,

did you finance ? if so what was percentage rate, also how much did they offer for extended 100,000 mile warranty.

I see you're in NJ like me, wouldn't you want AWD for winter ? I wonder if dealers are willing to offer better deals on FWD for areas with snow........

Yes I did finance about 10k with a rate of 4.74%. Im not that happy with it since my last Mazda was financed with a 1.9% so ill pay that off in a couple of months. I didn't even look at the extended warranty. I've never really benefited from buying them so I wasn't really interested, but what have other people been paying for them maybe Ill add it.

As far as the AWD vs FWD I actually did a LOT of research as to what was better and the pros and cons between them and ended up with the FWD with plans on picking up a set of winter wheels/tires with blizzak tires for around $750 from tire rack. AWD was actually all that was available around me in the GT and I had to travel down to Delaware to get a FWD version. To buy an AWD around here would have cost around $2k more, dropped my MPG, increased my maintenance costs, and added to the list of things to break. Add to that that a FWD with winter tire will significantly outperform an AWD with all seasons (looking at cost for cost) both in forward traction and definitely in stopping distance it seamed like I was left with the question as to why everyone around here buys AWD instead of spending 1 hour a year changing out a set of wheels.

What are your thoughts here? Im guessing you are in the AWD camp?

On a side note, since I bought the car in Delaware I have to get a front license plate bracket. What do most people on here use? Do you know the Mazda OEM P/N or is there something better aftermarket?

Last edited:
Can you expect 10-13% off msrp on a grand touring? I can see it on a sport pretty easily but prefer the leather seats and this option is only available on a grand touring models.

I had to sit and lurk for a little while and wait for the right set of circumstances to get this deal but yes you can get those kind of discounts on Grand Touring models as is proven by what I paid. With the redesigned model coming out this spring I wouldn't be surprised if you see more deals like this coming up as that time gets closer.

I didn't do anything special like haggling or anything to get this price other than getting the cargo mat (which they threw in because I had to come back to the dealer and get some scratches fixed that happened on the lot). I was offered that deal through an email before even walking in the door and knew they were pretty much at their rock bottom so I didn't even bother trying to get them any lower.

On a side note, since I bought the car in Delaware I have to get a front license plate bracket. What do most people on here use? Do you know the Mazda OEM P/N or is there something better aftermarket?

If you find the answer to this, PLEASE let me know! I live in Georgia (a no front-plate state) and picked up a 2016.5 CX-5 a couple of weeks ago, and I'm moving back to New Jersey within the next 6 months. I had the intention of asking the dealer to put the frame on for me, or at least provide the parts, but it totally slipped my mind.

There are already two little dimples in the face of bumper for the self tapping screws that you choose will screw into the bumper. No bracket required

I saw the dimple but I assumed there would be a bracket to give a more finished look.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

There are already two little dimples in the face of bumper for the self tapping screws that you choose will screw into the bumper. No bracket required

I saw the dimples as well, but I was under the impression they would have to be drilled into, and a frame installed

I got a lil over 13% off of MSRP when we bought our GT.

As for front license plates. I live in Illinois and the state requires a front plate. It seems that this law isn't really enforced though. I don't have front plates on any of the three vehicles that I own that require plates. I've been driving that way here for over 30 years and have never heard one word about it from any LEO.

When I got home with our new CX-5 the first thing that I did was to pull off the crappy dealer front license plate holder (with the dealers advertising plate). Under that I found that who ever screwed the frame to the car is an idiot. He didn't ever screw it into the 'dimples' but instead missed the dimples and screwed it into the plastic. (gah) I inserted some plastic plugs into the holes. You can't really tell unless you look closely.

Back