What did you pay for your CX-5?

Because of new tax regulations in Holland, the price of the CX-5 is at the 1 of July € 1.000 higher.
We got ours 3 weeks ago !

Gr. Karl

My CX-5, I bought in Ontario, included:

GS FWD
Pearl White Colour
Wheel Locks
Cargo Cover
7 Yr / 160,000 km Extended Warranty

After taxes, fees and licensing was $34154. The purchase agreement shows me at a $2600 discount from MSRP, but the extended warranty was listed as $100 below retail and the cargo cover was free which would mean my real discount was almost $3K.

I traded in my 2003 Protege5 and got $2000 cash back for it as well. So my real discount of ~$3K is probably reduced by $1.5K since the Dealership could probably sell my Protege5 for ~$3.5K. I could have gotten a better deal if I had squeezed them some more, but I was happy with the deal regardless. The best deals are where everyone walks away happy. Of course, I turned down their up sell offers such as undercoating, rust proofing, VIN etching, etc. and i refused to accept any additional costs such as Admin fees.

I waited until there was a sale on at a Dealership - the best is when they advertise on the Radio or T.V. or newspaper because they've probably spent $10K and have to recoup that expense by hitting sales targets so they'll be more motivated to reduce the price to make the sale. this usually happens when they need to clear out inventory like the end of the month/quarter/first half/year. Dealerships try to make you feel like they're doing you a favour by giving any discount, but you can always negotiate a better deal if you reverse it and make them feel like you're doing them a favour (which is the truth).

Next time I buy a car, instead of asking for a discount from the MSRP, i'm simply going to demand that they give me the full retail value of my trade-in (i.e. whatever the car is going on sale for at the time on auto trader) plus at least $2K more. This will avoid the hassle of negotiating down from MSRP, instead it'll force the Dealerships to try to negotiate up from my offer (and of course, I don't move from my offer).

Really...$2600 off of MSRP? How did you manage that? I know that you traded in your P5 (as am I and was only offered $700 for it), but still, $2,600 seems really high. The dealer I was negotiating with didn't want to budge from $500 + cargo cover (though this is on a GX with manual transmission). I guess every situation is different in terms of the dealer willing to negotiate. By the way, where in Ontario are you?

I found one in QC that's 2k under mrsp, I emailed the dealer to get more details since it just doesn't make any sense. 500-800 I get it but for a brand new vehicule with high demands 2k under is shady at best.

Good morning,

Quick question on how to deal with a dealer who refuses to give you a price on the web.
Basicly the website advertise "Price + Internet rebate in 5 minutes (when it's open"

So I sent them an e-mail and I got this answer from a guy "Ohhh you know the best price can only be given in person, bla bla bla"

I answer that I live over an hour away and I need to drive across Montreal on a weekend (a pain in the ass) and back just to see if the price is decent, I told him basicly that if I drive to Montreal it's to BUY the car so I need a price (I also send him a link of another dealer who offers the same car at X price).

He answers that he's no gonna click the link, he's not interested in what other dealers give what's important is that it's a big dealer and he can offer more, for sure and he finish with "But you know, it's a new SUV so the margin isn't really big".

I have a crapload of mean comment I can answer here but I want to know what their price is and there's no way I'm driving there after work unless they really do offer the best price in Quebec.
How would you deal with him? Would you simply walk away and stop emailing the guy?

Maybe you could ask for a different salesman who isn't a pain in the butt to deal with, then just tell them if they can beat X price out the door, you'll buy from them, if not, you won't

Maybe you could ask for a different salesman who isn't a pain in the butt to deal with, then just tell them if they can beat X price out the door, you'll buy from them, if not, you won't

When you say "out of the door" that's with all taxes included?

For it to be an apples-to-apples comparison it's best to know all the fees, taxes, etc that they are going to charge. Now, I don't know if the sales tax and everything would be the same between the two dealers. I know in the states if I were to buy a vehicle in NM or AZ I would pay less sales tax than here in CA.

The destination fee is probably the same, but one dealer might have paperwork processing fees or junk like that which would change the total price you have to pay.

For it to be an apples-to-apples comparison it's best to know all the fees, taxes, etc that they are going to charge. Now, I don't know if the sales tax and everything would be the same between the two dealers. I know in the states if I were to buy a vehicle in NM or AZ I would pay less sales tax than here in CA.

The destination fee is probably the same, but one dealer might have paperwork processing fees or junk like that which would change the total price you have to pay.

Your CA motor vehicles department doesn't require that you pay the CA tax when registering the vehicle? I know that in NJ or NY if you buy out of state you will pay the tax in the state you reside and not where you bought the vehicle, which is annoying. I think NY (5 boroughs) tax is one of the highest around at around 8.8% or something like that, upstate NY is like 4% since the City tax does not apply.

Last weekend my copycat brother in law bought his CX-5 GT AWD with Tech package. Had to drive down to Pennsylvania to find the color/package combination he wanted since there were only about 4 available within a 200 mile radius of East Brunswick, NJ. At first he said he didn't want the Tech package but after riding with mine he fell in love with it and opted for the Tech package.

Winded up paying MSRP $30,400 USD with wheel locks and rear bumper protector thrown in for free, and since he was paying MSRP they kept title, registration and dealer fees at $300. He added a Mazda backed 6 year extended warranty which basically covers everything electrical and mechanical. for $1,100. Altogether came out to $33,928 USD out the door. I made sure he didn't get a black one like me, he went for the Silver. The people at Faulkner Mazda where we bought the CX-5 were incredible to work with. Much better than the guys I dealt with in NJ.

Got my CX5 GS awd for 31900$ at Albi Mazda near Montral. Albi Mazda is the biggest Mazda in the world period.
I ordered my CX5 on march2 and received it on april14, they didnt want to lower the price of my CX5 but i did get a good deal on my Mazdaspeed3.
They started at 13500$ for my Speed, i got up and said thank's but no thank's, should seen the face on the saleman.
They went up a 1000$ 5 time before they got to 18500$, then i said ok where do i sign. Can you imagine the guy that doesn't want to argue and just accept what they offer him. The market here for a 2008.5 speed3 is around 17k to 20k so i think i made a good deal
I was one of the first in my area to get one, i still dont see much around here.

Last edited:
Got my CX5 GS awd for 31900$ at Albi Mazda near Montral. Albi Mazda is the biggest Mazda in the world period.
I ordered my CX5 on march2 and received it on april14, they didnt want to lower the price of my CX5 but i did get a good deal on my Mazdaspeed3.
They started at 13500$ for my Speed, i got up and said thank's but no thank's, should seen the face on the saleman.
They went up a 1000$ 5 time before they got to 18500$, then i said ok where do i sign. Can you imagine the guy that doesn't want to argue and just accept what they offer him. The market here for a 2008.5 speed3 is around 17k to 20k so i think i made a good deal
I was one of the first in my area to get one, i still dont see much around here.

Before or after tax?
On Mazda.ca is shows the GSAWD at 31940$

Before tax: Federal tax (Canada) 5%
Provincial tax (Qubec) 9.5%

Total of 14.5% combined

So roughly 36700$

Oupss je vient de voir que tu est de Montral, tu sait bien comment on est taxer ici......lol

White Touring FWD
No options
$23500
+ Taxes, Title and $495 Fee.

I found a dealer that was 200 cheaper when you factor in their paper work fee but the guys I went with we're a few hours closer.

I might have gotten a lower price had I not been looking only for white with no options and increase the number of dealers to call.
I did a 250 mile search on Mazda.com for my area, and in-laws resulting in dealers as far south as GA and as far north as NY.
7 dealers had what I wanted, 3 wanted above MSRP, 2 wanted MSRP, and 2 were wiling to go lower for my business.
I told all the dealers I called that I was willing to Drive 6+ hours to get the car and that I was calling so many dealers.

Last edited:
Yes, CA does that, but I wouldn't register a vehicle here unless I bought it here. There's an exception made for the military, which I am in, but you see a lot of out of state plates here and I think a lot of civilians get around the ridiculous dmv fees that way too.

Good morning,

Quick question on how to deal with a dealer who refuses to give you a price on the web.
Basicly the website advertise "Price + Internet rebate in 5 minutes (when it's open"

So I sent them an e-mail and I got this answer from a guy "Ohhh you know the best price can only be given in person, bla bla bla"

I answer that I live over an hour away and I need to drive across Montreal on a weekend (a pain in the ass) and back just to see if the price is decent, I told him basicly that if I drive to Montreal it's to BUY the car so I need a price (I also send him a link of another dealer who offers the same car at X price).

He answers that he's no gonna click the link, he's not interested in what other dealers give what's important is that it's a big dealer and he can offer more, for sure and he finish with "But you know, it's a new SUV so the margin isn't really big".

I have a crapload of mean comment I can answer here but I want to know what their price is and there's no way I'm driving there after work unless they really do offer the best price in Quebec.
How would you deal with him? Would you simply walk away and stop emailing the guy?

I dealt with many different dealers' internet departments. Some were not interested in doing anything over email except to schedule an appointment. I ended up buying from the guy who answered all my questions over email, gave me full item by item price, and even took my deposit over email. My suggestion would be to find another dealer that is willing to work with you over email. You don't need to tell this guy anything.

Good morning,

The mark up is really small. I got a touring with moonroof and bose for invoice and it only saved about $870 off of the sticker. I'd go with the dealer who's willing to work with you over the phone.

On a side note, when I was shopping for my Tacoma, I kept getting the run around from salesmen. No one wanted to sell for less than sticker, or talk via email or phone. So I skipped the salesmen and called the fleet manager of different dealers. They seemed way more interested in working with me and were happy to talk numbers over the phone.

I'd try that. Just call and ask to speak with the fleet manager, and explain the offer you currently have and see if they will beat it. If not, tell them to kiss your ass and go with the other one.

On the Mazda website, it says the MSRP for 6sp manual sport (FWD) is $22,995 and 6sp auto sport (FWD) is $22,395. Why is the auto cheaper than manual?

It also says the manual sport comes with 17 inch alloy wheels while the auto sport comes with 17 inch aluminum-alloy wheels. What is the difference here?

Back