What did you pay for your CX-5?

this to me seems like a dealer can give you a great purchase price only to dog you on the trade-in value. your out-of-pocket expense can end up even greater on the "better" purchase price.
My $0.02. If I had been badly low-balled on the trade-in (and thankfully I was not), I would have walked out with my printed copy of the 'great purchase price' and shopped the sale to other dealerships. Most dealerships will at least match a competitors price, as long as its real. At a minimum, they will bend-over backwards to get very close to any other dealer's price.

So worst case: I spend some more time to get competing bids on the trade-in, all while staying at or very close to the great new car price that I negotiated from the first dealer. To be honest, I didn't want to shop the deal ... I made it clear to the dealer that I didn't want to shop the deal, as long as they made a fair offer on the trade-in ... and in my case the dealer did increase their trade-in offer in order to keep me from shopping the deal. Win-win.

A great new car price in writing is like gold: Once you've got a committed great price on the new car, you really have all the leverage as long as you don't let yourself get emotionally invested in buying on the spot.

As always, YMMV, and I'd love hear other's opinions/strategies.

A great new car price in writing is like gold: Once you've got a committed great price on the new car, you really have all the leverage as long as you don't let yourself get emotionally invested in buying on the spot.

As always, YMMV, and I'd love hear other's opinions/strategies.

I disagree that a "great new car price in writing is like gold". The valuation of a new car has much less subjectiveness and variability compared to a used car. As long as you are set on using a used car as a trade-in, a great quote on a new car is worthless. In fact, you can probably get a lower quote on the new car if the dealer wants your used car (and if it's a decent car and not too old, chances are, they want it pretty bad).

Fair point. I agree that a desirable, good condition, low-mileage trade-in could easily help lubricate a new car sale because the dealer margin's on used cars can be pretty healthy. I do think these are a minority of most trade-ins, but your point is certainly valid.

In my case, my trade-in was not a desirable vehicle and was destined for auction. Too much rust, too many cosmetic issues, and more warning lights than a Christmas tree. Holding it back was the right move for me.

What rebates were offered (owner loyalty, Chase finance, etc)??

I got $250 off for my wife being a recent graduate (thank you Master's degree). I was also offered $500 more for financing through the dealer but the rate was much higher than my credit union was offering so I passed.

I got $250 off for my wife being a recent graduate (thank you Master's degree). I was also offered $500 more for financing through the dealer but the rate was much higher than my credit union was offering so I passed.

I wonder is it possible to take the $500 credit for the financing and then pay off the loan the next month without any penalties?

I wonder is it possible to take the $500 credit for the financing and then pay off the loan the next month without any penalties?

If you do the Chase/Mazda financing (which has the $500 rebate) then there are no prepayment penalties. You will be able to pay off the entire loan balance when the first payment is due, which is approximately 45 days from the date the loan is issued. (You might be able to pay it off sooner, but that could cause confusing issues with the issuance and release of the title.)

So if you pay it off right away, you pay about $30 to $40 in interest, and save $500 off your purchase price. Pretty good deal, and that's why I did it.

If one is open to a leftover '15 I keep getting these emails from Mazda

" If driving matters to you, Mazda invites you to celebrate it this summer. During the Mazda Summer Drive Event, you can drive the rest of the summer on us. Because we’ll make your first two payments on any new 2015 Mazda leased or purchased by 9/8/15."

I'm trying to decide between a plain Touring and splurging on the Grand Touring w/tech package. The GT is full of nice to haves, but given I only drive on weekends I'm not entirely sold.

I was dead set on heated seats (Chicago winters!), but I'm planning on getting a remote starter so that mitigates a lot of the benefit there. Moonroof would be cool, but it's not a major factor for me. I'm sure the Bose speakers are a nice upgrade, but I could get aftermarket speakers down the line if I'm that unhappy. Dual zone climate could be nice, as I don't mind heat and the lady likes to freeze.

I have the dimmer mirror w/compass on my current Mazda6 and want it again, but that's available as an accessory.

Is there a comparison video/photos for the LED lights? That might be what puts me over.

I'm trying to decide between a plain Touring and splurging on the Grand Touring w/tech package. The GT is full of nice to haves, but given I only drive on weekends I'm not entirely sold.

Have you thought about getting the Touring with Tech Package and then upgrading the seats to leather? That's what I did; gave me everything I wanted without having to pay extra for GT features I did not need/want and not having 19" wheels will be cheaper in the long-run, too.

Have you thought about getting the Touring with Tech Package and then upgrading the seats to leather? That's what I did; gave me everything I wanted without having to pay extra for GT features I did not need/want and not having 19" wheels will be cheaper in the long-run, too.

That makes a ton of sense if you really want leather and not the other options. I didn't want the extra weight/complexity of a sunroof but I was forced into it to get the upgraded headlights.

Yeah NOT having the 19" wheels is a plus to me. Don't need 'em, and extra cost down the line. Also leather seats are in the same category as a moonroof for me, cool to have but not a major factor.

Those taillights are pretty hot.

Maybe Touring + Tech would be the way to go, prior I thought if I'm adding on a bunch of stuff why not go all out, but I'm reconsidering. It'd give me the mirror, lights, and smart brakes. Is the tech package something the dealer can add on or is it a factory thing? The dealer I'd like to go through is a smaller one and previously quoted a nice price on on in-stock touring in the color I wanted (crystal blue). I guess ordering one's not a big deal, but getting it all done in one go is nice

Maybe Touring + Tech would be the way to go, prior I thought if I'm adding on a bunch of stuff why not go all out, but I'm reconsidering. It'd give me the mirror, lights, and smart brakes. Is the tech package something the dealer can add on or is it a factory thing? The dealer I'd like to go through is a smaller one and previously quoted a nice price on on in-stock touring in the color I wanted (crystal blue). I guess ordering one's not a big deal, but getting it all done in one go is nice

You seem to be going through a similar thought process that I went through. The LED lights with AFS is worth it IMHO no matter whether you do Touring or GT. The tech package is a factory item. If you try to add them later it will cost you much more than the $1625 it adds the Touring list price. I opted for the GT partially because of immediate availability, but I do like the leather and the look of the 19" wheels, but I certainly understand the benefits of the 17's. Good luck with your choice and enjoy!

Last edited:
If you do the Chase/Mazda financing (which has the $500 rebate) then there are no prepayment penalties. You will be able to pay off the entire loan balance when the first payment is due, which is approximately 45 days from the date the loan is issued. (You might be able to pay it off sooner, but that could cause confusing issues with the issuance and release of the title.)

So if you pay it off right away, you pay about $30 to $40 in interest, and save $500 off your purchase price. Pretty good deal, and that's why I did it.

I just did something similar although the dealer told me the Chase rebate for the Touring model is now $250. In any event, I was planning to pay cash for the car, but financed it to get the $250. Supposedly, I need to keep the loan for at least 3 payments, but plan to pay most of it off with the 1st payment to reduce interest on the remaining two. I will probably net around $200 in total, but $200 is still $200. Also, don't need to make first payment till October so I get a little bit of a float too.

Also, don't need to make first payment till October so I get a little bit of a float too.

You might want to recheck your terms and conditions. Unlike credits cards most auto loans don't have float and although your payment isn't due until October you might be accruing interest. I might be wrong but I thought I'd mention it. I hate surprises like that.

You might want to recheck your terms and conditions. Unlike credits cards most auto loans don't have float and although your payment isn't due until October you might be accruing interest. I might be wrong but I thought I'd mention it. I hate surprises like that.

Thanks for the heads up. As far as I can tell I am not accruing interest between now and the time of my first payment. I need to go back to the dealer tomorrow to pick up my all weather mats so I will double check. If I am wrong about it, I will just make a large payment in September.

Thanks for the heads up. As far as I can tell I am not accruing interest between now and the time of my first payment. I need to go back to the dealer tomorrow to pick up my all weather mats so I will double check. If I am wrong about it, I will just make a large payment in September.

You can delay your first payment out to 45 days without interest.

I was dead set on heated seats (Chicago winters!), but I'm planning on getting a remote starter so that mitigates a lot of the benefit there. Moonroof would be cool, but it's not a major factor for me. I'm sure the Bose speakers are a nice upgrade, but I could get aftermarket speakers down the line if I'm that unhappy. Dual zone climate could be nice, as I don't mind heat and the lady likes to freeze.

I have the dimmer mirror w/compass on my current Mazda6 and want it again, but that's available as an accessory.

Is there a comparison video/photos for the LED lights? That might be what puts me over.

Of course it is an individual choice. I debated with myself whether to get the GT or Touring for some time, but ultimately decided on the Touring with Moonroof/Bose. I do like the Moonroof as it seems to open up the car for me. My decision was that most of the items in the GT I could live without. Would have liked leather seats, but not necessary for me and in some respects cloth seats to me have some preferable aspects. I also came to the conclusion I really did not want the 19 inch wheels/tires. I must admit they look great, but for my scorecard that was about the only positive.

Back