What did you pay for your CX-5?

Is that 26,785 out the door, or before taxes/fees?

I got my 2019 Touring Preferred AWD at $26,500 before taxes/fees, so if that's your price before taxes/fees as well then you're over-paying.

Granted, I went with the $1000 rebate as I already had financing, but the FWD -> AWD premium is about $1800. You should be able to do between $25,500 and $26,000.

Haod is looking at and pricing a GT, not a Touring.

Edit: Oops didn't see the other post you were referring to. Disregard.

Last edited:
Is that 26,785 out the door, or before taxes/fees?

I got my 2019 Touring Preferred AWD at $26,500 before taxes/fees, so if that's your price before taxes/fees as well then you're over-paying.

Granted, I went with the $1000 rebate as I already had financing, but the FWD -> AWD premium is about $1800. You should be able to do between $25,500 and $26,000.

Thanks. It's before taxes and fees. If I take the $1000 it would be $25,785. I'm seeing a $1000 markup locally for AWD which would bump it to $26,785 which is pretty close to your price.

The financing I'm still undecided on. It looks like to keep the $1000 rebate and longer financing period of 72 months and a lower payment, I'd have to go with 5.99% at my close dealer or 4.99% at a further one, and can refinance it down to 3.99% in 3 months through my credit union. Or elsewhere if someone knows where to do better.

Last edited:
why wait for 3 months? I refinanced in 16 days. Although DCU made me pay a $100 fee or something, they even lowered my APR to 1.49% back in the day.

why wait for 3 months? I refinanced in 16 days. Although DCU made me pay a $100 fee or something, they even lowered my APR to 1.49% back in the day.

I refinanced mine 2 days after buying it which dropped it 1 percentage point.

The dealer said I would need to wait three months, however I don't know what would happen if I tried to anyway. Perhaps a fee, I should find out. My hope is to pay it off early or faster anyway.

The dealer said I would need to wait three months, however I don't know what would happen if I tried to anyway. Perhaps a fee, I should find out. My hope is to pay it off early or faster anyway.
No fees when I refinanced mine. Better check on all that. Like I said, 2 days after I bought it. Financed with Mazda on Saturday since my credit union was closed, then on Monday initiated the refinance with the credit union. Forget how long it took. I do believe I made 1 payment to Mazda which was through Chase at the time before it kicked over.

They want their cut of the finance fee. If you refinance right away, they probably don't get it. Check all your paperwork and make sure you didn't sign something you're going to regret.

picking up our Machine Gray 2019 AWD GT with Premium Package on Saturday morning.

we landed on an OTD price of $33,205 + plates.

BREAKDOWN
MSRP: $34,415
Sale Price: $31,628
Doc Fee: $75
Taxes: $2,728
Price before rebates: $34,455
Price after rebates: $33,205 + plates cost

the only kicker is that this includes $500 customer cash which would bump my financing from 2.9% to 3.9%. the dealer seems confident i can keep the $500 discount AND get 2.9% somehow. if not, is it better to take the cash or the better APR? any ideas on refinancing?

lastly, in regards to the price, i shopped it around to no less than 8 other local dealers. none of which would match and many which wouldn't come close.

It looks like to keep the $1000 rebate and longer financing period of 72 months and a lower payment, I'd have to go with 5.99% at my close dealer or 4.99% at a further one, and can refinance it down to 3.99% in 3 months through my credit union. Or elsewhere if someone knows where to do better.

Why not start with a loan from the credit union to begin with? That should get you a lower rate than any dealer. I went this route and got a 3.65%, which when paired with the $1000 incentive actually beats the 2.99% (paying it off in a couple months anyways).

Why not start with a loan from the credit union to begin with? That should get you a lower rate than any dealer. I went this route and got a 3.65%, which when paired with the $1000 incentive actually beats the 2.99% (paying it off in a couple months anyways).

I hear you, however I suspect the dealer will not give the offered discount without financing, I know it's part of where they make their money, which I can understand. They are already beating my local dealer who said they can't match it. That itself was disappointing- I was told they don't care about losing the sale because they know I will get my vehicle serviced at the local dealer and make money that way.

My financial situation is going to be better in a few months, so I figure I should take the best price and lowest payment possible, and then pay it off early after my monthly income picks up.

I hear you, however I suspect the dealer will not give the offered discount without financing, I know it's part of where they make their money, which I can understand. They are already beating my local dealer who said they can't match it.

One thing you can do is to get yourself pre-qualified for a credit union loan, then decide at the dealership whether or not you want to go with their financing. It'll give you more options (at the cost of a slight ding to your credit score due to the hard pull, I think).

The dealership I talked to told me that the price I paid for the car required that I go with financing ("potentially with a 5% or 6% rate"), rather than pay by cash. I said I would finance the car, and as we got through the details, pulled out my credit union pre-approval paper to show that I already had financing options available, and since we had already finalized on the final out-the-door price of the car, I paid that value but financed to the credit union.

Not sure if your dealership would do something similar. No harm in trying, right? You can still decide at the dealership whether you finance through the dealership or through the credit union and pick the better option from there.

the only kicker is that this includes $500 customer cash which would bump my financing from 2.9% to 3.9%. the dealer seems confident i can keep the $500 discount AND get 2.9% somehow. if not, is it better to take the cash or the better APR? any ideas on refinancing?

Perhaps it depends on your financial situation. The 2.9% is going to be better from a total cost standpoint, as the additional 1% will be more than $500 over time. However, the 3.9% might be a 72 month loan rather than 60 months and be a lower payment. If the lower payment means being able to pay a credit card bill in full, it's worth the slightly higher interest. I'm not sure you can find a refinance much lower than 3.9%.

One thing you can do is to get yourself pre-qualified for a credit union loan, then decide at the dealership whether or not you want to go with their financing. It'll give you more options (at the cost of a slight ding to your credit score due to the hard pull, I think).

The dealership I talked to told me that the price I paid for the car required that I go with financing ("potentially with a 5% or 6% rate"), rather than pay by cash. I said I would finance the car, and as we got through the details, pulled out my credit union pre-approval paper to show that I already had financing options available, and since we had already finalized on the final out-the-door price of the car, I paid that value but financed to the credit union.

Not sure if your dealership would do something similar. No harm in trying, right? You can still decide at the dealership whether you finance through the dealership or through the credit union and pick the better option from there.

Thanks Zintegy, that made sense and looks like I'm going to do that as well. I contacted the dealer and they said the offer would stand even if I have my own financing. To my surprise I was able to get pre-approved through my credit union in under an hour. The 4.1% rate isn't as low as I'd like but better than the dealer rate and nice to have the loan within my existing bank. I assume it will make the purchase faster too having the financing lined up.

Thanks Zintegy, that made sense and looks like I'm going to do that as well. I contacted the dealer and they said the offer would stand even if I have my own financing. To my surprise I was able to get pre-approved through my credit union in under an hour. The 4.1% rate isn't as low as I'd like but better than the dealer rate and nice to have the loan within my existing bank. I assume it will make the purchase faster too having the financing lined up.

Great! I'm glad everything worked out for you. Just be careful with hidden fees and such when you go buy your car - don't let them charge you for things you don't want or are unnecessary, and read over the paperwork closely. Hope you enjoy your new car soon!

I just got a 2019 GTR with 5600 miles (Eternal Blue) on it for $30,900 +TTL. Went through a credit union and got 1.89% for 36 months (only financed 12k). I think I got a pretty good deal. Still has the new car smell!

Purchasing 2019 CX-5 this weekend... here is the total price.. not the best deal but the best I got after talking to 4 dealers.

New 2019 CX-5 Touring AWD with Preferred package - white exterior/black interior

$30,600 msrp
-$2300 (all existing discount/cash offer)
$2200 (taxes/title/fees/tabs)
$30,500 out of the door price

Bay Area, CA

New *19 GT Reserve Deep blue mica
OTD $37k and 2.9%.

Can you break that down? OTD pricing is kind of useless here.

MSRP?
Any dealer added BS options, like nitrogen, VIN etching, etc...?
Negotiated price before incentive discounts?
Incentive amount?
Trade in involved?
Any other fees?

Thanks and congrats!

Back