What did you pay for your CX-5?

When you buy a car new - lets say for 20K - you pay interest on the whole 20K value.
When you lease for 3 years - lets say dealer decides that car is worth 10K after 3 years - you end up paying
-10K depreciation - basically the principle
- Interest on the 10K residual value (remaining value)
- Interest on the diminishing 10K value (which is depreciated value)
- Taxes etc.
- $595 acquisition charge which seems standard.
-$350 charge upon returning the leased vehicle.

You also have an option to buy back the vehicle at 10K later on.

So for the poster it costed
2000 taxes
600 acquisition and 350 return charge
350 times 36 for lease

= 15550 / - for leasing the car over 3 years.
He can also buy it back for 60% of the value that was stated.

Sort of. The lease payment is made up of A) depreciation. B)the interest on the average price of the car during the lease term, and C) taxes.

The depreciation is set by the manufacturer, not the dealer, as is the money factor. The dealer can (and will try to) mark up the money factor which is why it is important that you find this out. The Edmunds forums is where I get mine from (Mazda Leasing thread in this case).

The money factor can be converted into a regular APR by multiplying it by 2400. In lease math though, money factor is used to save complex APR calculations.

Taxes are handled in different ways by different states. For example, Maryland requires that you pay the taxes on the negotiated price of the car, not the payment. I believe Texas does the same thing. This adds a cost to leasing in those states. For example, in MD, the tax on a $30,000 car is $1800 and you will pay that whether you lease or finance. The tax in a state that taxes just the lease payment (at the same rate) would be about $1100. It really adds up when you start leasing big German cars! However if you buy it out at the end and then sell it, you do not pay taxes on the purchase.

So IF YOU PLAN TO LEASE, learn the lease math so that you understand what is going on. There are several tricks that the dealer can do (and he will try his best) to inflate that payment, the difference of which goes into the dealer's pocket.

There is also a great app called LeaseMatic that will tell you what the lease payment should be.

Good luck.

Hello All,

2017 CX-5 GT premium + Soul RED
MSRP = $34,040
After disussing the final price came to $31,496

So On-Road price is $31,496 + 1999 (MA TAX) + 495 ( DOC fee) + 135 (RMV fee) = $34,125

Kindly advise if I can pull the tigger for $31,496?

Mahindra,
Here was my deal:
2017 CX5 GT AWD, Deep Blue, Premium, MSRP $33,465.
Price before tax, lic and fee: $29,065.
(include discount: factory cash back $750, owner loyalty $500)

Assume that you do not own a Mazda (+$500)
Since you go for soul red, which is $600 more.
You should aim for $30165.
That is the bottom price you could possibly get.
Anywhere is between might be OK depending on you.

For those wishing to lease, the money factor right now is effectively 0%. It is 0.00001 which works out to an APR of 0.02% In all my years of leasing, I have never seen a manufacturer do that.

Residual is 59% for 12K miles per year and 57% for 15K miles per year on a three year lease. If you're sharp, you could be driving a GT w/PP for about $320 plus taxes.

Last edited:
Mahindra,
Here was my deal:
2017 CX5 GT AWD, Deep Blue, Premium, MSRP $33,465.
Price before tax, lic and fee: $29,065.
(include discount: factory cash back $750, owner loyalty $500)

Assume that you do not own a Mazda (+$500)
Since you go for soul red, which is $600 more.
You should aim for $30165.
That is the bottom price you could possibly get.
Anywhere is between might be OK depending on you.

Was the factory cash back something you qualified for? I'm not seeing it listed on mazda site nor receiving it with any quotes I've received.

2017 CX5 AWD Jet Black w/ Premium PKG + Rear bumper guard and floor mats.
Price before everything: $31660
My OTD Price: $34000

I didn't have the Mazda loyalty otherwise it would have been another $500 off. Also I brought my own financing (2.69 72mo) instead of Mazda's which probably would have gotten me closer to the bottom price. I probably could of gotten a little better, but didn't want to fly out of state or drive 5-9 hours with someone else.

Last edited:
Was the factory cash back something you qualified for? I'm not seeing it listed on mazda site nor receiving it with any quotes I've received.

Salesmans are good at playing dumb.
After he gave me a quote, I asked him: "Did you factor in the $750 cash back?".
"Oh, sorry. I forgot..."

Hello All,

2017 CX-5 GT premium + Soul RED
MSRP = $34,040
After disussing the final price came to $31,496

So On-Road price is $31,496 + 1999 (MA TAX) + 495 ( DOC fee) + 135 (RMV fee) = $34,125

Kindly advise if I can pull the tigger for $31,496?

I got mine (same exact--2017 CX-5 AWD GT w/premium + soul red) in MA for 31500 this month. 495 doc fee is steep. Everywhere I saw in MA and RI ranged from 325-400. I felt I got my car for an excellent price given the typical range in the New England region.

Purchased my first Mazda last month. 2017 CX-5 Touring Base. $28k even out the door. Machine Metal Gray with body color matched rims. Lovin' it!

I suggest we compare prices before Tax/Lic/Fees.
These are quite different in different regions.
One does need to be aware of *fees* the dealers charge you.
They play tricks on that.

Hi All,
This is my very first post and a newer to Mazda after 4 years with VW. I would like to ask your advice about this offer I received:
2017 Mazda CX5 AWD Touring w/Preferred Package, machine gray. Lease is 12k x 36month.
MSRP:$28,135 | Invoice:$27,983 | Sale Price:$27,520 > $289 per month with 0 down and approx. $2,300 for NY Tax, Dealer Fees, Registration Etc.

Is this the best I could get?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Same, with a first post:

I'm a little concerned about an offer and would like some feedback for why one dealer of 3 is offering significantly less.

2017 CX-5 AWD Touring with the Preferred Package - MSRP $29,585 and the offer is for $25,985. This is significantly less than the invoice so it seems highly suspect to me...

Any thoughts? I haven't started the leasing conversation yet, so there is no monthly payment offered yet.

$289 is a pretty good price with 0 down on a lease.
Gullstaf: Here's a thought...buy it before he changes his mind. [emoji106]

Do it!

Same, with a first post:

I'm a little concerned about an offer and would like some feedback for why one dealer of 3 is offering significantly less.

2017 CX-5 AWD Touring with the Preferred Package - MSRP $29,585 and the offer is for $25,985. This is significantly less than the invoice so it seems highly suspect to me...

Any thoughts? I haven't started the leasing conversation yet, so there is no monthly payment offered yet.

That's a very good price. I had the same specs quoted as low as $26,321 (Chicagoland). No one else would come within $400 of that. That said, I paid $25,995 for a blue mica CPO with 1,900 miles with those precise specs.

So pull the damn trigger.

Gulstaff,
Your price is in-line with mine. (T + preferred pkg)
MSRP $29,585 and the offer is for $25,985 -> $3,600 off MSRP

Mine: (GT AWD + prem pkg) (Deep Blue)
MSRP $33,465 and the offer was for $29065 -> $4,400 off MSRP (incl. owner loyalty $500)

The reason is that, there is a $750 cash back from Mazda now.
The real cost to deal is
Invoice - $750 - (dealer hold back) - (volume sales discount) => ?
Don't worry about dealer losing money.
Watch out if the car has any issue with it. (damaged but fixed, or test-drive vehicle, etc.)

Hey guys,

I just signed a lease today for a CX-5 Sport AWD in NY

$260 month w/ taxes inc.
$600 aquisition fee

It's my first time leasing so I didn't know tips like comparing it to the MSRP value vs sale value and such, but did I do well? I don't see many comments about the Sport so I hope I didn't get ripped off.
Are there any charges I need to look out for that may be hidden in the contracts?

Hey guys,

I just signed a lease today for a CX-5 Sport AWD in NY

$260 month w/ taxes inc.
$600 aquisition fee

It's my first time leasing so I didn't know tips like comparing it to the MSRP value vs sale value and such, but did I do well? I don't see many comments about the Sport so I hope I didn't get ripped off.
Are there any charges I need to look out for that may be hidden in the contracts?

where in NY Did you lease? i am trying to lease the GT AWD but im not sure what the prices will be in NY

In my area, the dealer advertised price, in their website for GT AWD Crystal Red with premium package is 32,965$. Guess another 500$ can be taken out.

Last edited:
Back