What did you pay for your CX-5?

Anyone here from NJ and purchased a 2019 CX-5 Touring with the preferred package, GT or the GTR within the last few weeks. I received some pricing on a few but they seem to be way over priced based on what other people on this forum from other states are getting.

For example, I was quote $33,000 OTD for a 2019 CX-5 Touring with the preferred package with trailer hitch/harness, all weather floor mats, remote start, and illuminated door sills. Seems a bit high to me.

Anyone here from NJ and purchased a 2019 CX-5 Touring with the preferred package, GT or the GTR within the last few weeks. I received some pricing on a few but they seem to be way over priced based on what other people on this forum from other states are getting.

For example, I was quote $33,000 OTD for a 2019 CX-5 Touring with the preferred package with trailer hitch/harness, all weather floor mats, remote start, and illuminated door sills. Seems a bit high to me.

Even with the extras, taxes, their ridiculous document fees, etc., you may be overpaying close to two grand compared to my local dealer in MA. They should offer the GT with preferred package for that amount at minimum.

Last edited:

My '19 AWD Touring w/package (but not the dealer add-ons) was $28700 OTD just 3 weeks ago. I would estimate your addons being $1200 to $2000 at most, meaning your car would be costing about 3 grand more than mine apples-apples. Keep looking!

You are correct - NJ Dealers are crazy with their prices.

With that said, could you break down your deal further? Like MSRP, dealer discount, incentives, how much the accessories are, etc... OTD doesn't help give an apples to apples comparison.

You are correct - NJ Dealers are crazy with their prices.

With that said, could you break down your deal further? Like MSRP, dealer discount, incentives, how much the accessories are, etc... OTD doesn't help give an apples to apples comparison.

California
2019 CX-5 AWD Touring + Premium Package + white

MSRP :$30,635.00
Discunt: $3,000
Rebate: $1,500 (<Mazda special for 2019s only)
Your price: $26,135
Doc Fee: $85.00

Amazon seems to have fairly cheap accessories, like the roof rack which is MSRP $500 or trailer hitch which is $400. Only OEM thing that seems worth is the moonroof wind screen since it's probably best that that thing is perfectly sized.

Dayton Ohio
12/10/19
2019 GT AWD + PP Soul Red Crystal
MSRP 34710
Rebate 2000 (Cash incentive + Military)
Dealer Discount 3259
Doc Fee + TTL 1710
Free all weather mats and rain visor installation
OTD 31161
Did I do ok considering the new year rolling out?

Update: Bought a 2019 GT AWD no package black/black from a Baltimore Dealership:

MSRP: 32,490
Sales Price: 28,607
Doc Fee: 299
Rebate: -1000

Total: 27,906

OTD w/ TTL: 29,823

They included all weather mats, 2 years of maintenance, and I went with 2.9 financing that beat CU by .25 with no early payoff penalty.

I went back and forth via email with 12ish dealerships from VA, MD, PA, DE over the course of 4 days and the two local dealerships actually by far had the best prices.

Had 3 or 4 dealerships say flat out take that deal and run we can't come close. VA doc fees are insane and kill any deal.

First-time poster...looking at a 2019 Touring AWD with Preferred Pkg in Metallic Gray
Have an "offer" as:
MSRP = 30,735
Dealer Discount = 3,285
Mazda Cash = 1,000
Selling Price = 26,450
Doc Fees = 99
Total = 26,549
Plus TTL

Thinking I should run with it...

But...I have an alternative that I'm looking at...no "offer" yet
2019 Touring AWD with Preferred Pkg in Metallic Gray - this one being a CPO with around 4500 miles.
Current asking price is 26,808.
First titled in July 2019...been on the lot for about a month...probably a loaner or demo.
Should still have most of Factory B2B plus 12/12 on the CPO.
Thinking to offer in the 24k-25k range.

Thoughts???

But...I have an alternative that I'm looking at...no "offer" yet
2019 Touring AWD with Preferred Pkg in Metallic Gray - this one being a CPO with around 4500 miles.
Current asking price is 26,808.
First titled in July 2019...been on the lot for about a month...probably a loaner or demo.
Should still have most of Factory B2B plus 12/12 on the CPO.
Thinking to offer in the 24k-25k range.

Thoughts???

Don't offer them anything on the CPO, it's been there a month and likely isn't going anywhere soon except maybe to an auction house. Let them make the offer first...depending on what they come with, you can either laugh at them or leverage the deal using the brand new vehicle quote you have. See how bad they want to unload it off their books. Have patience...them work, and sweat, a little. A few more questions that affect any negotiation...New and used same dealer, or competing entities? Are you financing or trading anything in on either prospective vehicle? Are you considering an extended B2B warranty? All these things play in to 'the deal'.

What's the dealer invoice these days on the new vehicle btw? Neither price seems particularly exciting to me for a cash buy...

Ronzuki...thanks for the feedback.
Good info re "let them offer on the CPO".

I'm following up on the "offer" I have, to see how firm it may be, but no, it's at a different dealer about 100 miles away.
There are 3 local dealers within 25 miles of me, each of which have between 6-10 NEW 2019's equipped the same way (color, pref pkg), and 2 of those also have 2 each of the USED/CPO 2019's with 4,000-5,000 miles, presumably loaners/demos.

Invoice on new 2019 CX5 Touring AWD
Dealer Inv = 27,209 + 267 (Paint) + 1,224 (Pref Pkg) + 1,045 (Destination) = 29,745

No significant trade-in...my 17-year old Toyota with 203k+ miles has some recent rear end damage and some sort of engine/cylinder issues...so worth maybe 500-1000 tops.

I'd probably be looking at a cash deal and take the current $1,000 cash back vs 0.9% finance.
Not considering an extended wty at the moment, though I know it can be had down the line...I bought a 7/100 on my Forested just before original wty ran out for about 1000.

See my post #6027 above as well as other posts on the subject. Work from invoice down. Request their best below invoice quotes BEFORE any known published rebates are factored. The rebates are from Mazda directly and is the same no matter where you shop/buy. There is other money the dealer has to play with. Remove manufacturer rebates from the equation. What is a particular dealer willing to do down from invoice? With that many identical new vehicles in the same proximity, I'd bag the CPO unless they really drop their draws on it. Just depends on the dealer's situation. being a cash buyer, you can have a field day pitting them one against the other! Negotiate the trade after you've settled on the most serious 2-3 offers. Happy hunting.

Last edited:
Why even mention that made up number known as invoice?!

Work from % off MSRP that youre looking for, minus rebates you qualify for, plus tax and whatever fees.

Listening to invoice is for gullible suckers. If a dealer brings up invoice, I bounce.

Why even mention that made up number known as invoice?!

Work from % off MSRP that you*re looking for, minus rebates you qualify for, plus tax and whatever fees.

Listening to invoice is for gullible suckers. If a dealer brings up invoice, I bounce.

Whatever works for you. I haven't wasted my time setting foot in, nor hang on a phone with, a dealer I didn't actually buy from in more than 15 years for me and my family members. Had no need to 'bounce'. So I'm "listening" to absolutely nothing, invoice or otherwise. All new car negotiations are done solely via email w/ a validation inspection of any trade day of actual sign and drive. That's what works for me. We all end up at the same place...a number we're willing to pay some percentage below a BS number. An RFQ below invoice lets them know, right up front, any number between BS MSRP and BS invoice is not going to be entertained. Requesting a 'best below invoice' quote via email has consistently weeded out better than 1/2 of the perspective dealers right from the start. Levels the playing field very early on. Gets me where I'm going quicker. Again, whatever works for you. Uninformed, gullible, and impatient buyers always pay more, for anything. Requesting below invoice quotes indicates you've spent time educating yourself, setting the negotiation bar at your starting point and not theirs. My younger brother sold cars, new and used, for somewhere around a dozen years and he did extremely well for himself...dealers always win lest the vehicle doesn't leave the lot. It's truly a game of psychology, and why I've stuck to email only.

mrwackawacka said:
Amazon seems to have fairly cheap accessories, like the roof rack which is MSRP $500 or trailer hitch which is $400. Only OEM thing that seems worth is the moonroof wind screen since it's probably best that that thing is perfectly sized.

Any idea what the price on the wind screen is?

Looking to buy a 2019 white CX-5 Touring with the preferred package in GA. This is the best deal I've received:

MSRP: 29,820
Discounts: -4250
Selling price: 25,570
Loyalty: -750
Taxes: 1737
Fees:604
Total: $27,161

Looking for some feedback.. thanks!

Is this with FWD or AWD?
Lowest I've gotten so far (2019 Touring AWD with PP, Machine Gray) is a Selling Price of 26,450 (after dealer discount and 1000 mazda cash).

Whatever works for you. I haven't wasted my time setting foot in, nor hang on a phone with, a dealer I didn't actually buy from in more than 15 years for me and my family members. Had no need to 'bounce'. So I'm "listening" to absolutely nothing, invoice or otherwise. All new car negotiations are done solely via email w/ a validation inspection of any trade day of actual sign and drive. That's what works for me. We all end up at the same place...a number we're willing to pay some percentage below a BS number. An RFQ below invoice lets them know, right up front, any number between BS MSRP and BS invoice is not going to be entertained. Requesting a 'best below invoice' quote via email has consistently weeded out better than 1/2 of the perspective dealers right from the start. Levels the playing field very early on. Gets me where I'm going quicker. Again, whatever works for you. Uninformed, gullible, and impatient buyers always pay more, for anything. Requesting below invoice quotes indicates you've spent time educating yourself, setting the negotiation bar at your starting point and not theirs. My younger brother sold cars, new and used, for somewhere around a dozen years and he did extremely well for himself...dealers always win lest the vehicle doesn't leave the lot. It's truly a game of psychology, and why I've stuck to email only.

Yea, I do email only too, and most of my cars are bought out of state, I only care about 1 thing and 1 thing only, the lowest price.

Like stated, whatever works for you, couldn't careless what they say invoice is, I can run any number and make it sound legit, doesn't mean that it is. Anyways, no biggie, carry on.

First time post, just purchased my first Mazda. Thanks to everyone for posting, it allowed me to have some leverage with dealership without too much negotiation and back and forth. I worked with one dealership in Indianapolis, Ray Skillman Northeast. Very reasonable to work with.

Purchased 12/21/19
2019 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD w/ Premium Package
Color: Deep Crystal Blue

MSRP: 34515
Discount: -3315
Mazda rebates: -1500
Doc Fee: 199.50
Title: 31.25
Taxes: 2184

OTD: 32114.75

Overall pretty happy to land at 9.6% off MSRP for only an afternoons work. Will sell previous car private market or at Carmax. Figured this would be beneficial for the crowd like me who has little desire to email back and forth forever with lots of dealers.

Last edited:
FWIW, I just drove home with a (new to me) 2016.5 CX-5 Grand Touring AWD with both GT Tech and i-ActivSense Packages, CPO with 41,750 miles in Titanium Flash Mica. Dealer will be adding Carplay shortly after the holidays.
Wife really wanted to stay under 20k, so newer was out of reach. Paid 19k plus fees and TTL. Pleased with the end result.
Happy holidays and see y'all on other threads in the forum!

Rap

Back