Thread: Interior Materials

2020 CX-5 Signature

Interior Materials

What are the interior materials? Are the seats all leather or is the perforated part a different material? What is the covering of the steering wheel. I see the upper dashboard is a rubbery feeling plastic and lower part leather. Asking in order to know what cleaning products to use.

Registered Member

CX5 GT-R

Soft rag lightly damped with warm water. This goes for any interior unless otherwise stated in the owners manual.

Donated: $10

Mazda CX-5 FWD Touring

Read the owners manual. Ed

Registered Member

2019 CX-5 Reserve Eternal Blue

Central Virginia, USA...the winding rural part
    As Ed says, the owners manual should help. Mine says to use a 5% detergent solution.

I read elsewhere that the leather is "coated," so does not require a conditioner.

2019 Mazda CX-5 Sport AWD

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Soft rag lightly damped with warm water. This goes for any interior unless otherwise stated in the owners manual.
    Works amazingly well for most situations.

Quote Originally Posted by Pitter View Post
    What are the interior materials? Are the seats all leather or is the perforated part a different material? What is the covering of the steering wheel. I see the upper dashboard is a rubbery feeling plastic and lower part leather. Asking in order to know what cleaning products to use.
    I prefer not to slather toxic cleaning chemicals all over my interior. I stick with water and towels most of the time, and solvent (pure alcohol) when necessary. The steering wheel is leather covered in all models. The lower part of the dash is vinyl, not leather.
    Last edited by Chocolate; 09-04-2019 at 01:00 AM.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate View Post
    Works amazingly well for most situations.

I don't see the need to slather toxic cleaning chemicals all over my interior. I stick with water and towels most of the time, and solvent (pure alcohol) when necessary. The steering wheel is leather covered in all models. The lower part of the dash is vinyl, not leather.
    I'd like some kind of protectorant after it's been cleaned. Temperature extremes and sunlight make for a harsh environment.

That's fair. I'm installing ceramic tint soon which does reduce interior heat and sunlight inside the cabin. I have the black cloth seats. I also installed the Mazda OEM all weather mats and cargo mat which are high quality, thick, and easy to clean.

Registered Member

I need to get off my butt and have my windows tinted.

I actually took the Weathertech mats (front/back/cargo) to the dealer with me when I picked up my car, so the carpet has never seen my heels.

I've cleaned my interior but have not tested any cleaner/preservative. A few folks here have recommended Mother's VLR. I'd try it on an inconspicuous spot. The dash material is a little weird. I've never seen anything so sponge-like in a car.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

The lower part of the dash is vinyl, not leather.
    How can one easily nondestructively determine the difference between leather and vinyl? And is that what "leatherette" is?

Old and OCD

2019 cx5 2006 mx5

Quote Originally Posted by Avoidin Deer View Post
    I need to get off my butt and have my windows tinted.

I actually took the Weathertech mats (front/back/cargo) to the dealer with me when I picked up my car, so the carpet has never seen my heels.

I've cleaned my interior but have not tested any cleaner/preservative. A few folks here have recommended Mother's VLR. I'd try it on an inconspicuous spot. The dash material is a little weird. I've never seen anything so sponge-like in a car.
    I've used Aerospace 303 on my 2019 Reserve with no ill effects. More as a protector than as a cleaner.

2017 BMW X1

Just use Aerospace 303 protectant on all the non-gloss surfaces. No need to treat them each differently. Anything that is truly dirty can just be wiped with a wet rag before applying 303.

Quote Originally Posted by shadonoz View Post
    How can one easily nondestructively determine the difference between leather and vinyl? And is that what "leatherette" is?
    Best way is to look at the grain. Natural leather has variable grain. Yes, leatherette is vinyl.

Even most 100k cars will use vinyl leatherette on the lower soft touch surfaces. You really have to step up to something like a Bentley to get an entire leather interior and it's kinda built in to the price.

Donated: $5

2017 CX-5 GT AWD Tech

Best way is to look at the grain. Natural leather has variable grain. Yes, leatherette is vinyl.

Even most 100k cars will use vinyl leatherette on the lower soft touch surfaces. You really have to step up to something like a Bentley to get an entire leather interior and it's kinda built in to the price.
    Thanks! I'll have to put on my reading glasses and look a little closer.