What did you pay for your CX-5?

I thought I'd update everyone. Just got back home after buying my wife's car. I think I got an OK deal. Details below

2018 Machine Gray Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring - No Premium
MSRP: $32,220
Dealer Price: $29,000
Incentives Used: $1,000 cash back, $500 loyalty
Sale Price: $27,501
15% Off MSRP

This is great information. Thank you for sharing and congrats on your great deal! I'm looking for the same deal on a FWD GT and getting nowhere. Maybe it's too early in the month. Any chance you could share your deal sheet? Most dealers are saying they can match or beat a deal they see in writing, but "my close personal friends on the Mazda forum" doesn't seem to have a lot of street cred without something official in writing.

I thought I'd update everyone. Just got back home after buying my wife's car. I think I got an OK deal. Details below

2018 Machine Gray Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring - No Premium
MSRP: $32,220
Dealer Price: $29,000
Incentives Used: $1,000 cash back, $500 loyalty
Sale Price: $27,501
15% Off MSRP

DAMN, NICE JOB. If I could get that price here in Dallas, the wife would have a new CX5.

Hey, Folks. First post.
Nothing to write home about... My Mother in Law hates negotiating and didnt want to wait.

MSRP: $28,355
Pure price: $26,090
Rebate: $750
Total OTD: $27,000

2017 AWD Touring. White on Beige.

This was over the phone. Asked the sales guy for his best price OTD - Said 27,400, I said Ok, 27 flat and will come sign today. They did not have this vehicle on the lot. Hope this helps someone!

Last edited:
Just got a 2018 Black CX-5 GT AWD /w Premium Package few days ago in NorCal. Car only had 1 mi on it when sold. Did not bother negotiating.

MSRP: $33,515
Online Quote: $29,347 (With $1000 Rebate)
+ Loyalty Rebate $500
Sale Price: $28,847 + tax + doc fee

Beware if you are buying one from a bay area dealer. They first showed us one with a big s-shape dent (unfixable by PDR) on the rear driver-side door. Hope you don't get that one.

I haven’t closed the deal yet, but I’m looking to buy a 2017 CX-5, no premium. I’ll be the first to tell you that I’m not the best negotiatior. That being said, here’s what I gathered from a few recent purchases on this board.

1). $27,501 + TTF
2). $27,750 + TTF

Is this what I should be shooting for or something else altogether?

I should mention my goal is to do this all through email so I don’t have to have that long drawn out process of the back and forth at the dealership.

I havent closed the deal yet, but Im looking to buy a 2017 CX-5, no premium. Ill be the first to tell you that Im not the best negotiatior. That being said, heres what I gathered from a few recent purchases on this board.

1). $27,501 + TTF
2). $27,750 + TTF

Is this what I should be shooting for or something else altogether?

I should mention my goal is to do this all through email so I dont have to have that long drawn out process of the back and forth at the dealership.

For a 2017 CX-5 Grand Touring FWD, if you can get the price to under $28K before any incentives or rebates, I think that would be a pretty good deal. Once you get to that point, you can choose between the Stand Alone Cash ($750 for this month) or Special Financing Rate (0% for up to 63 months). If you qualify, you can also get Bonus Cash for the Loyalty Reward Program ($500) and/or Military Appreciation Incentive Program ($500).

Either way, I would work on getting the sale price to under $28K and then go from there.

I should have specified that I'm looking at the AWD. So far, I've got three prices and none really seems great to me, but I could be wrong.

1) $29,780 + sales tax and DMV fees
2) $31,807 OTD (includes sales tax & fees)
3) $30,227 + sales tax and DMV fees (Note: This is for the 2018)

I should have specified that I'm looking at the AWD. So far, I've got three prices and none really seems great to me, but I could be wrong.

1) $29,780 + sales tax and DMV fees
2) $31,807 OTD (includes sales tax & fees)
3) $30,227 + sales tax and DMV fees (Note: This is for the 2018)

For AWD, I think the MSRP jumps up about $1300.

I'm guessing those prices include all of the rebates you would qualify for? If you plan on keeping the car for a while, 0% financing may be the way to go as opposed to the $750 cash option. I would find out how much the sales tax and DMV fees are for your state and then add that into the price of option 1 & 3 so that you can compare apples to apples.

My friend at Mazda told me there's going to be an extra $500 off next weekend auto show bonus. Not sure if it's stackable.

My dealer sent me this:

For a limited time, get up to $4,000 off any new-in stock Mazda!

CX-5! Mazda6! Mazda3! Mazda CX9! Miata!
All new in stock Mazdas!
Up to $4,000 off!

So I called and it is $4000 off a CX-9 & Mazda 6 or $2000 off a Mazda 3 or $1000 off a Mazda CX-5. This is a presidents day sale and I wonder if it is nationwide? Deal is good on all cars in stock (including 2018).

Just wondering.....anyone know what price/cost Mazda charges for GAP insurance on a Mazda lease car? Thanks! [emoji16]

We just got back from test driving a 2017 CX-5 and loved it; so much nicer than a Rogue in cabin noise and ride quality - although I guess this audience is probably already sold. This will be the first new car we've ever owned; prior cars were purchased off friends & family as they replaced cars or upgraded. My apologies in advance if some of the answers to my questions are available in other places - I've tried to absorb as much info as possible in the past few weeks but until we nailed down a make/model there was just too much to learn all at once.

I went through the online configuration tool and came up with a price for a Soul Red 2018 CX-5 GT AWD with Premium, Trailer hitch, Roof Rails, Parking Sensors, and Mobile Start: $35,785. Here's where the questions begin:

♦ I can't find any way to look up invoice pricing for the individual options - I'd like to at least have a ballpark of what I should be aiming for when I go in to talk to them.
♦ If I compromise a bit on options and find a car in a dealer's lot, are they more willing / able to move on price than if I go in with a set of options that require a car to be ordered? Or would that not make much of a difference?
♦ I am replacing a car - better off to trade it in, or sell it at a CarMax for cash and just put a down-payment on the new CX-5? I would imagine cash is king, but maybe it's irrelevant to the dealership?
♦ Does the Costco Auto program do anything for me other than put me in touch with a particular sales person at a dealership?

Thank you!

I went through the online configuration tool and came up with a price for a Soul Red 2018 CX-5 GT AWD with Premium, Trailer hitch, Roof Rails, Parking Sensors, and Mobile Start: $35,785. Here's where the questions begin:
A great price pre TTL is around $28K for AWD + Tech only. Decent is $30K.
1st off do not get Mazda Mobile Start. Read the reviews of the app in whatever app store you use. Get an aftermarket remote starter.
I'm also not a fan of the parking sensors. To each their own.
Buying off the lot will usually get you a little cheaper then ordering. There's less wiggle room when you order.
Just about any accessory you buy from Mazda will cost more then a 3rd party. That's just car dealers in general. Call a local shop and ask what a trailer hitch will run you.

♦ I am replacing a car - better off to trade it in, or sell it at a CarMax for cash and just put a down-payment on the new CX-5? I would imagine cash is king, but maybe it's irrelevant to the dealership?
You would probably get a few more dollars from Carmax but having a trade gives the dealer some wiggle room since they will buy your car for 4 grand and sell it for 9. Example dealer offered me 2 grand for my car. I wasn't buying. I kept pushing for discounts. He finally offered another grand on the trade. Saw it for sale a week later for $7K.

Price out a 17, too. Still has everything you want and they are offering bigger deals on them.

Last edited:
Accessories

I can't find any way to look up invoice pricing for the individual options - I'd like to at least have a ballpark of what I should be aiming for when I go in to talk to them.

Edmunds.com has a way of showing invoice on individual options. Just search for the car you're looking at, then click "build" at the top of the page. Click "build and price", and you can choose individual options. At the end it will list a breakdown for you, each option will have an invoice, MSRP, and Edmunds "true market value" price. I can't speak to if the last of those is more accurate than KBB, TrueCar, or any of the others, but I did read several well-known publications mentioning that Edmunds' pricing tends to be pretty accurate as far as what the market is giving.

I got parking sensors on mine. A lot of people said that the rear camera is fine, but I like being able to keep my eyes on the front of the car while being able to listen to how the back is doing while I'm parallel parking. If I end up hating the sensors, oh well, I can disconnect them.

7eregrine is absolutely right about not getting Mazda Mobile Start, the app-based remote start. However, the remote start with the fob is available, at least according to Mazda's website and my dealer. I don't think it has some of the same features (lock/unlock, GPS location) that the app does, but it'd be less frustration and you don't have to keep paying for it every year.

Something to keep in mind when considering options on your new car is the warranty. If you get an accessory at the time you buy your car it will be covered by the three-year new car warranty. If you drive off the lot, drive a block down the road, and come back and say "you know, I think I want the mobile start/parking sensors/whatever," it's only covered by the 1-year accessories warranty. So if you think you want something, and you have the money for it now, get it now.

Good luck!

Thank you both. I was put off by the Mobile Start as well but I didn't see anything noting that it was available outside of the app. I will definitely look to get this outside of the app system, either through the dealer or afterwards.

The warranty is a great point for the accessories, I didn't know that. I was looking at trailer hitches as I have a small utility trailer for work. It seems like there are better options out there aftermarket, but I've never worked on a car before and I'm tempted to simply purchase everything through the dealership to keep it simple.

I'm having a difficult time negotiating with dealers, as there are very few vehicles in stock that meet my requirements.

What are your thoughts on the following deal...
- 2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring FWD
- Machine Grey Metallic
- No other options/accessories
- $28,250 + TTL

I'm having a difficult time negotiating with dealers, as there are very few vehicles in stock that meet my requirements.

What are your thoughts on the following deal...
- 2018 Mazda CX-5 Grand Touring FWD
- Machine Grey Metallic
- No other options/accessories
- $28,250 + TTL

What is the sticker price?

Back