What did you pay for your CX-5?

It will be good. I was offered 17.5 percent off on a 2018 including 1200 worth of rebate and 2.39 rate. I will wait since it will be my spare car.

Fortunately, I don't HAVE to buy anything right now. I've got a '14 VW Jetta SW that is being bought back on 12/21 (for $2500 more than I paid for it 4 years ago).....and between my 2 kids' cars and travel, I don't need a car until the 1st of the year. I'll have about $30K from the VW, plus the balance out of pocket, so I can wait. I figure the first 'offer' is always a goof, anyway, just in case someone bites. One of the other dealers is saying they have 2-3 people 'in line' for their first Signatures...which is about as truthful as you would expect.

I hadn't planned on jumping this early - because I'd have to move a bunch of money around to get one before I turn in the VW....or finance it through USAA or the dealer until I get the cash.

What end of year incentives do you think there will be between 12/4-12/31?

Don*t be fooled, they should be going no less than 5% off MSRP in the 2019s right off the bat, and they can easily do 10% if they want. At $400 off, I would*ve had to LOL*d and walk right outta there...

Explain this to me please.

5% off MSRP would be $35,490 which I believe is less than invoice and you said that should be the LEAST percent off. If Mazda only has a 1% dealer holdback then dealer is making less then what they paid for it. (I'm not including is $500 veteran allowance). I should be picking up my 2019 GT-R this week, and I want to have every bit of information I can before I go in.

5% off MSRP would be $35,490 which I believe is less than invoice and you said that should be the LEAST percent off. If Mazda only has a 1% dealer holdback then dealer is making less then what they paid for it. (I'm not including is $500 veteran allowance). I should be picking up my 2019 GT-R this week, and I want to have every bit of information I can before I go in.

I got a quote for 2019 that was approx $2250 off MSRP that included $500 customer cash. What I have learned is that invoice price is misleading because it does not account for dealer incentives. Focus on discount off MSRP and out the door price that includes all incentives and fees.

I got a quote for 2019 that was approx $2250 off MSRP that included $500 customer cash. What I have learned is that invoice price is misleading because it does not account for dealer incentives. Focus on discount off MSRP and out the door price that includes all incentives and fees.

Correct. Any dealer that mentions invoice price and dealer holdback is Full of Crap from the start. My go to dealer puts them online at 5% off MSRP as soon as they hit the lot, for anyone to buy. They don*t like to haggle, but they will...

I*ve went over this a million times here, so I stand by my statement, not to mention there*s already been someone buy one for this price and better here...

Got my first 'real' quote for a 2019 CX-5 Signature....don't know if it's good or not yet.

In Virginia, dealers can charge anything they want as a 'processing fee' as long as they declare it....and some are very hesitant to actually include it in any quote - usually the phrase is '+ taxes tags and processing'....and 'processing' can be anywhere from $99 to $999....so I always tell them to include all dealer charges.

Anyway -

2019 CX-5 Signature in Eternal Blue Mica (one of my three preferred colors - the other are Machine Gray and Silver)

MSRP $37,885
Your Price $36,885 (includes $500 Veteran discount)
+ Dealer 'Processing' of $695

OTD = $37470.

That still seems a bit high to me, it's basically $400 under MSRP.

Also...the Veteran's discount is 'ending' 12/3. Is that something that's likely to renew on 12/4 - I figure there would be some end of year incentives...any idea?

Thoughts?

As of 12/4, there are 4000 '19 CX-5's in US dealer inventory but only 200 Signatures. (ie 5%). Dealer's seem to average between 0-2 in stock. There have been no reports of clean cash transactions to suggest any meaningful discounts. (any transaction involving trades, financing will convolute the data). Mazda's Bonus Cash even excludes GTR's and Sig's.

It's highly doubtful that Mazda is throwing any special incentives/back end $'s at the dealers to move these scarce/new 2.5T models. The only backend $'s for the dealers appear to be the 1% holdback. That adds to their 4% margin and they're break even at 5%.

It remains to be seen what will happen. On one hand I think the 2.5T models are incredible value relative to the competition. On the other hand $38k+ is at the high end of what buyers normally expect from a Mazda brand. Unless Mazda opens the floodgates on the 2.5T trims, I think most dealers will stick pretty close to MSRP. Some are even adding an up charge called "Market Adjustment".

More data is needed from clean cash buyers of the two 2.5T trims.

Last edited:
Just picked up a...

2019 White GT with PP, FWD.

MSRP: $32,865
Discount: $-2,553
Customer Cash: $-500
Sale Price : $29,812
TTL: $3,188 (SoCal)
OTD: $33,000

9.3% off MSRP!

Trade In: $3,700
Final OTD Price: $29,300

So my dealer tried to add $500 onto the TTL for "Aftermarkets" which was like "Nitro Fill" and some other crap. When I asked what "Aftermarkets" was he started to explain that it was 2 separate things this particular dealer does that other dealers normally don't do (even though the car was delivered just the day before and was still in all its plastic, mmm hmm, riiiight) and before he got to finish explaining I stopped him and said that this was an addition that the dealer decided to do without my consent and that there's no way I'm going to pay half a thousand dollars on something I don't want. They quickly removed it.

There's was also a lot of back and forth (standard car buying stuff) with the dealer trying really hard to confuse me with his mumbo-jumbo talk and I just kept pointing to the sale price, OTD price and % off MSRP. Not sure who it was but somebody here said to focus on only those numbers.

I'm quite happy with the price I got as it's very "just off the boat" with only 3 miles on it and we got it to a price my wife and I are both happy with.

This forum really helped me understand my purchasing power so I hope my info can help others too. You guys Rock!

Just picked up a...

2019 White GT with PP, FWD.

MSRP: $32,865
Discount: $-2,553
Customer Cash: $-500
Sale Price : $29,812
TTL: $3,188 (SoCal)
OTD: $33,000

9.3% off MSRP!

Trade In: $3,700
Final OTD Price: $29,300

So my dealer tried to add $500 onto the TTL for "Aftermarkets" which was like "Nitro Fill" and some other crap. When I asked what "Aftermarkets" was he started to explain that it was 2 separate things this particular dealer does that other dealers normally don't do (even though the car was delivered just the day before and was still in all its plastic, mmm hmm, riiiight) and before he got to finish explaining I stopped him and said that this was an addition that the dealer decided to do without my consent and that there's no way I'm going to pay half a thousand dollars on something I don't want. They quickly removed it.

There's was also a lot of back and forth (standard car buying stuff) with the dealer trying really hard to confuse me with his mumbo-jumbo talk and I just kept pointing to the sale price, OTD price and % off MSRP. Not sure who it was but somebody here said to focus on only those numbers.

I'm quite happy with the price I got as it's very "just off the boat" with only 3 miles on it and we got it to a price my wife and I are both happy with.

This forum really helped me understand my purchasing power so I hope my info can help others too. You guys Rock!

Which dealer is this?

Keep posting your deal offer by dealer please. I am trying to score a 19 cx5 w/ PP AWD by the end of the year. GT or GT-R is my choices. I am living in SF Bay area. Please share your deal here. TIA!!!

I tell any dealer I ask for a quote to leave off anything that's not on my list. That includes nitrogen tires, paint sealants, any type of dealer logs stuck on in any fashion!, and I will pay no admin fees other than a required tax collection. There's no harm in negotiating from invoice prices as they are a known price point as is MSRP. Like said, what make numbers unusable is when a trade or other variable come into the deal, then it's "your deal only". Any posted deal that doesn't include how the cars equipped also clouds us knowing what was a factory item vs. some peace of crap charge like nitrogen, etc..
I would like to see more information as posted in #5108.
Thanks to those who post here!

I am shopping for a 2019 CX5 GT AWD with PP, I have emailed around to a few different dealerships around the Seattle area. The lowest quote I've gotten so far is $31,260 plus tax and title. I visited a different dealership today and they wouldn't go below $32,133 even after I showed them the lower quote from the other dealership that's an hour away from my house. I am holding out until I can get a dealership to do around 10% off msrp. I will update you all this weekend when I visit the dealership I got the lowest quote from.

Last edited:
Hello all,
My wife and I recently settled on a getting new CX-5 GT AWD with PP. I was was just about to send a request through the TrueCar service offered by my local credit union but just stumbled across this thread. I read over some of the recent posts and it seems like people are getting 12-15% off MSRP on the 2018s by just e-mailing around to dealers in the surrounding area. Is it worth running through the TrueCar service? or is just emailing the dealers directly a better way to go?

Also any thoughts on if a '19 GT would be worth it over the '18 GT? As far as I can tell the only big differences at that trim are enhanced G-Vectoring Control+ and a Better Auto-braking system.

Hello all,
My wife and I recently settled on a getting new CX-5 GT AWD with PP. I was was just about to send a request through the TrueCar service offered by my local credit union but just stumbled across this thread. I read over some of the recent posts and it seems like people are getting 12-15% off MSRP on the 2018s by just e-mailing around to dealers in the surrounding area. Is it worth running through the TrueCar service? or is just emailing the dealers directly a better way to go?

Also any thoughts on if a '19 GT would be worth it over the '18 GT? As far as I can tell the only big differences at that trim are enhanced G-Vectoring Control+ and a Better Auto-braking system.

I wouldnt even bother with TrueCar, they are more on the dealers side than the consumer. I put a request in through TrueCar and the Costco auto program and Im getting better prices just by emailing the dealerships myself. Another notable difference between the 18 and 19 GT PP are the cooled front seats, power folding side mirrors, and apple carplay/android auto that come standard on the 19s

Last edited:
I wouldnt even bother with TrueCar, they are more on the dealers side than the consumer. I put a request in through TrueCar and the Costco auto program and Im getting better prices just by emailing the dealerships myself. Another notable difference between the 18 and 19 GT PP are the cooled front seats, power folding side mirrors, and apple carplay/android auto that come standard on the 19s

Thanks, that's good to know, I'll try emailing them directly.

I definitely want Android Auto. The local dealer I test drove with said that it would be ~$500 to install on the 18s but I'm hoping that's something they'll throw in to make the sale. Is it best to just send them the details on what I want to buy and let them come back with a price? or to start off with an offer, say whatever 15% off MSRP + TTL and see what their response is?

Hello all,

You'll likely get a way better deal on an '18 since the dealerships and Mazda want them off the lots ASAP. Mazda appears to be throwing extra incentives at the dealerships to clear out '18's and you're goal is to a big chunk of those extra back end $'s.

Ignore TrueCar. I doubt it reflects the year end/real time inventory reduction deals on '18's. Right now it should be a buyer's market for '18's.

Cast a wide net and work with internet sales at the dealerships via email. I wouldn't even step foot into the dealerships. I think your best luck will be large dealerships with lots of '18's and the deals should get sweeter as we approach year end/month end. Don't forget that saying "no" is a good negotiating tactic and tends to spawn an even better deal. On an '18, I'd aim for 15% but that should be the dealer's discount. Don't let them include the factory incentives in that number. (that's extra gravy after your dealer negotiation is complete).

Good luck, Report back how you did.

Last edited:
I does serve your purpose to get as close to the new Mazda new car mgr as possible. Depends on the dealers structure but some places you'll wade through staff who do not discount enough to be of use. Like has been said- since Al G invented the internet, they all have internet sales mgr.'s and very few are allowed to wheel and deal. My 2015 Ford truck was bought on what they call the A-Z plan. To my knowledge Mazda has no such plan which has discount levels for employees and fleet sales and some dealers will sell to the public in such ways.

I does serve your purpose to get as close to the new Mazda new car mgr as possible. Depends on the dealers structure but some places you'll wade through staff who do not discount enough to be of use. Like has been said- since Al G invented the internet, they all have internet sales mgr.'s and very few are allowed to wheel and deal. My 2015 Ford truck was bought on what they call the A-Z plan. To my knowledge Mazda has no such plan which has discount levels for employees and fleet sales and some dealers will sell to the public in such ways.

Mazda has the E and S Plans for employees, but they*re not worth having anyways unless you don*t like to haggle at all because it*s only about 4%. Even TrueCar beat it in my area, and TrueCar is a joke...

For example, it saves you $1193 off a 2018 GT CX-5 with MSRP $30945, or 3.85%. I don*t even bother to waste my time emailing a dealer back that offers that as there*s no way we*re gonna come to a deal...

https://www.mazdausa.com/siteassets...odel_year_pricing_examples-aug-2018-splan.pdf

Last edited:
My TOTAL discount including the Eplan was 9%. Because I did continue to negotiate.

Back