What did you pay for your CX-5?

Invoice is not what a dealer pays for a car. Ignoring hold back, etc, manufacturer's have been pushing more of the vehicle cost into the MSRP since the late 90s and the ability of people to find invoice prices over the internet. Practically all vehicles have a current invoice that's about 3-5% of MSRP. Since the late 90s, this figure was more like 8-10%. No dealer could be profitable selling cars today at the true invoice price, but have no problem with the current rigged scheme. If you think you're getting the best deal buying at invoice or even $500 or so under invoice, think again!

Literally just picked up our 2018 Touring, FWD, Soul Red, with Preferred Package! Our first Mazda! We paid $27,1xx before TTL ($29,0xx OTD, or about $900 under the meaningless invoice) with the 0% financing for 63 mos. No rebates or other bonus cash.

Tough, tough email negotiation over 3 days. I literally had no idea how hot these cars are! I made contact with 25 dealers and got multiple quotes from many of them on 2017 GT, 2018 AWD Touring, and 2018 FWD Touring. The others were slightly more than we wanted to pay, but we couldn't be happier with our final choice. :)

Last edited:
Just picked up 2018 Touring AWD with Preferred package for 27,322 + tax, tag, license. The car also has wheel locks and the bumper guard. Included in the price is $500 loyalty and $500 mazda incentive.

I know the prices on this thread are before tax, tag and title but does it include the doc fee (and any other dealer add-on fees)?

I have a quote for a 2018 GT AWD (white) with Premium Package:

MSRP: $33,515
Discount: $3,793
Price: $29,722

However this dealer has a high doc fee and an annoying "package" (gimmicky nitrogen fill, etc) that adds $1,648 back to the price so the "true" pre-TTL amount is $31,370.

Is that still a good price?

I know the prices on this thread are before tax, tag and title but does it include the doc fee (and any other dealer add-on fees)?

However this dealer has a high doc fee and an annoying "package" (gimmicky nitrogen fill, etc) that adds $1,648 back to the price so the "true" pre-TTL amount is $31,370.

Its a decent price without the package. 10% off MSRP or more is to be respected. The package that he insists is really expensive. I did not pay my dealer for window tint - I actually told him to remove / debadge his dealer name from rear.
You have many options in any deal
Tell him you will buy Accessories at listed rate - about $200. Tell him you will service at his place even though you have a trusted independent mechanic. Give him some options. 1648 - that package better have gold plated color included. Thats expensive.

Most folks post here numbers with or without tax - a doc fee of under $300 is ok in my book. I worked with OTD numbers. Much easier that way. In reality - there are only 2 crucial numbers - MSRP and discount percentage off MSRP.

I can't tell you whether that's a good price or not since I was only shopping for the Touring trim, but I can tell you those are totally bogus dealer charges. In other words, I'm GUESSING you can probably easily beat that price elsewhere. Most people in this thread are sharing prices that DO include every dealer add-on -- so everything except TTL. My dealer charged a $0 doc fee and no prep charges, but I was also negotiating at many places and getting multiple rounds of bids over a few days. If you haven't already, go to the website of 5 dealers within an easy drive of you, find the "Contact Us" link at the very bottom of the page, and write a nice, professional message telling them 1) you'd like your message passed on to the Internet Sales Manager; 2) you're ready to buy now -- done test driving; 3) you're emailing multiple dealers; and 4) you're looking for a true out-the-door (OTD) quote on exactly the car you want (include color/options/etc). If you do this near the end of the month you'll get even better quotes.

Thank you Kaps and abeln2672 for the tips and feedback! abeln2672, yes I have been in contact with the Internet managers of several Mazda dealers for the past two weeks. Both of you confirmed what my gut is telling me. (lol2) That $1,648 is really high -- it actually consists of the doc fee ($749) and dealer add-on package ($899).

I already feel that the doc fee is rather high but dealer doc fees tend to be high in NC. The Mazda dealers I've contacted so far have a doc fee of at least $699. The lowest doc fee I've seen is $589 at a Subaru dealer.

As for the $899 dealer add-on package, that comprises the front window tint, 3M door edge guards, interior and exterior protection (whatever that is), nitrogen, and free lifetime state inspections. Basically all overpriced and nothing I want. (rolleyes)

The second best offer I got is $100 more than the best offer (when comparing OTD prices) and doesn't come with all that stuff but comes with a lifetime powertrain warranty that is valid at any Mazda dealership. Does anyone have any opinions on that warranty?

Either way I'll continue the process and see where it goes. Any further negotiation tips would be most welcome! Thanks again!

In laws saw my ride and bought one yesterday. 2018 Touring AWD with premium package in white for 29,800 OTD in Michigan. 0 down, 0% financing no accessories.

Just picked up a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD Machine Gray Metallic/Parchment for $27,700 after haggling and rebates. Even got them to throw in all weather mats, wheel locks, and touch up paint at no extra cost :)

This is a great price. did this also include preferred package? did you finance or pay cash?

Thanks!

Just joined the Mazda family. I got a 2018 CX-5 Touring FWD with the preferred package in white. The price before taxes and fees was $26,600. I felt pretty good for the price, plus I really wanted that car. I'm so loving driving again.

Just joined the Mazda family. I got a 2018 CX-5 Touring FWD with the preferred package in white. The price before taxes and fees was $26,600. I felt pretty good for the price, plus I really wanted that car. I'm so loving driving again.

Congrats! Such a beautiful, fun car! We bought the same configuration in Red about 3 weeks ago for $500 more -- so you paid almost exactly what we did, minus the color upgrade charge. I was pretty happy with the deal once I found out how hot these cars are. Good decision...hope you enjoy it :)

Congrats! Such a beautiful, fun car! We bought the same configuration in Red about 3 weeks ago for $500 more -- so you paid almost exactly what we did, minus the color upgrade charge. I was pretty happy with the deal once I found out how hot these cars are. Good decision...hope you enjoy it :)

Put pain protection on hood. Red has had some color quality issues with rock chips. I have a dark blue 16 and thankfully no problemo.
Atleast wash / wax and add a paint protection like Ultimate Fast finish.

(eyeballs)

Hood and front.
The hood (American English) or bonnet (Commonwealth English) is the hinged cover over the engine of motor vehicles that allows access to the engine compartment (or trunk on rear-engine and some mid-engine vehicles) for maintenance and repair.

Put pain protection on hood. Red has had some color quality issues with rock chips. I have a dark blue 16 and thankfully no problemo.
Atleast wash / wax and add a paint protection like Ultimate Fast finish.

Funny, I did exactly that my first week owning it: wash (with a carnauba wax solution), detailer/clay bar, and Ultimate Fast Finish :) I found a tiny chip on the hood after only a few hundred miles and was VERY frustrated, but I'd read about the issues. I'll keep a close eye on it and definitely contact Mazda should it become unacceptable. Thanks for the advice!

Just purchased a new 2017 Black CX 5 GT with parchment interior in Chicago.

$27749 before ttl.
$3500 negative equity - sucks but 4k off the MSRP makes me feel better.

From 15 mpg infiniti fx35 to the practical cx5 in the city was worth it for us.

Funny, I did exactly that my first week owning it: wash (with a carnauba wax solution), detailer/clay bar, and Ultimate Fast Finish :) I found a tiny chip on the hood after only a few hundred miles and was VERY frustrated, but I'd read about the issues. I'll keep a close eye on it and definitely contact Mazda should it become unacceptable. Thanks for the advice!

Unfortunately UFF is only good to clean the car, avoid dust and basic swirls even that too limited. Its no match for a Rock chip for 10 bucks you cannot go wrong.

OK. Decided to stop lurking and post here for the first time.

Any feedback on the below price quote (via email)? Have not yet attempted to negotiate, but based on forum reading of car prices, am i right that it might still be possible to lower it for another $500-1000 (to achieve a 10% MSRP discount)

Also, whenever people say MSRP, should the destination fee of $975 be included as part of it? It seems like different car manufacturer say different things.

Any negotiation tips are welcomed - esp at a dealership where you are already given the lowest(er) quote.

-----------------------

2018 CX5 GT AWD, no PP, basic color

MSRP: $30,945
Destination charge: $975
Price: $29,730
Rebate: $1,500
Dealer price: $29,230

Doc fee: $150
License and registration: $500

OTD price: $31,905

Taxes are high, ranging from 10.1-10.6%

Last edited: