What did you pay for your CX-5?

Its taking a 1,250 rebate into account and the discount they gave me off MSRP. A lot of the other 2017 GT I looked at had a ton of additional options and/or the premium package and I couldnt find a dealer that would go below $33,000 OTD. No one would come down even though I didnt want the additional options, and no one was throwing options in for free.

yeah its kinda crazy. i was offered a 2017 GT AWD with the premium package for 32452 or a 2018 GT AWFD no package for 30692. i really just want the package for the memory drivers seat and power passenger seat both of which are standard on the 2018. not to mention the 2018 package is 1400 which only comes to 32092 so still cheaper than the 2017... doesn't make much sense, i would think theyd want to get rid of the 2017s quick. both those prices are without the incentives/rebates since i think the 0% or .9% financing comes out better for me in the long run

ended up getting an excellent offer on a Crystal Blue GT AWD with Premium Package for $30,591 + TTL and that price qualified for Mazdas .9% financing for 60 month. i took the offer without even trying to negotiate as it seems they basically threw in the premium package and dropped around $100 off my best offer for a standard GT. happy with my choice so far!

Last edited:
Get your invoice price on edmunds.com(take off the stupid advertising fee they list) and then take off the incentives they're offering now. That's what i'd expect to pay. We're getting a 2018 CX-5 GT AWD fully loaded, roof rails, cargo cover, floor mats and parking sensors, all taxes and fees and it's about $33,500 and it will be delivered to our house. We did use a car buying service through the local credit union and that fee was $600 and included in the price I listed. But they're buying our jeep and giving us a lot more than the dealer would on trade and by using them we get a lower rate on our loan too.

Thoughts on this offer. $27,999 sale price seems good for the car? Currently passing this offer to 3-4 other local dealerships to see if they are willing to make a better offer. Your thoughts?

New 2017 Machine Gray CX-5 Grand Touring with Premium Package & Wheel Locks

MSRP: 33820
Dealer selling: 28999+ tax, DMV and doc fee.
(based off Mazda Credit standard rate promotion)
-$500 Military Rebate
-$500 Current Mazda owner Loyalty rebate
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As low as 27999 + tax and license after all the qualified rebates

Thoughts on this offer. $27,999 sale price seems good for the car? Currently passing this offer to 3-4 other local dealerships to see if they are willing to make a better offer. Your thoughts?

New 2017 Machine Gray CX-5 Grand Touring with Premium Package & Wheel Locks

MSRP: 33820
Dealer selling: 28999+ tax, DMV and doc fee.
(based off Mazda Credit standard rate promotion)
-$500 Military Rebate
-$500 Current Mazda owner Loyalty rebate
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
As low as 27999 + tax and license after all the qualified rebates

Assuming it's AWD due to the MSRP in which case I'd say that's a fantastic deal! Almost 19% off MSRP.

Assuming it's AWD due to the MSRP in which case I'd say that's a fantastic deal! Almost 19% off MSRP.

Yep AWD version.

Great deal. Stop dicking around. [emoji16]

I just countered because I saw a new incentive that went live yesterday for a $1,750 cash back. That is stackable with the $500 mazda loyalty discount so I countered with the below:

Dealer Selling: $28,999
Cash Back: - $1,750 (valid 1/16/2018 - 1/31/2018)
Loyalty Discount: - $500 (valid 1/3/2018 - 4/2/2018)
Sale Price: $26,750 + tax and license after all the qualified rebates

Let's see how it goes

Yep AWD version.

I just countered because I saw a new incentive that went live yesterday for a $1,750 cash back. That is stackable with the $500 mazda loyalty discount so I countered with the below:

Dealer Selling: $28,999
Cash Back: - $1,750 (valid 1/16/2018 - 1/31/2018)
Loyalty Discount: - $500 (valid 1/3/2018 - 4/2/2018)
Sale Price: $26,750 + tax and license after all the qualified rebates

Let's see how it goes

Good luck. Really great deal if they do.

If they do take it, I was hoping to get 0% financing as well, but it looks like with that cash back, you can't combine it with the 0% 60 months. So I guess which would you take of those two incentives?

Depends. Are you planning to take most of the 60 months to pay it off? 0.
Going to make double payments and pay it off in 30 months? Incentive.
If you take the incentive and pay for 40+ months, you're losing money.

Depends. Are you planning to take most of the 60 months to pay it off? 0.
Going to make double payments and pay it off in 30 months? Incentive.
If you take the incentive and pay for 40+ months, you're losing money.

It seems as though it doesn't really matter. My numbers are as such

Sale Price with Cash Back & Taxes/Fees - $29,423
Sale Price with 0% Financing & Taxes/Fees - $31,173

If I were to not make a down payment and took a scenario where I invested that in a 1.6% CD for the amount of the loan, and assuming if I take the Cash Back, I get a 2% interest rate financing at 60 months, I'm getting the final cost of the car to be

$28,513 if I take Cash Back ($29,423 invested with 1.6% gain is $31,853 less $30,943 cost of car financed at 2%)
$28,599 if I take 0% ($31,173 invested with 1.6% gain is $33,747 less $31,173 cost of car financed at 0%)

Do those numbers make sense or am I missing something here?

New to the forum, located in San Francisco, CA and just purchased a 2017 Grand Select AWD (white pearl) for 25.3k+TTD after $500 loyalty program. Had to go with the standard financing rates though. Car was purchased mid December.

New to the forum, located in San Francisco, CA and just purchased a 2017 Grand Select AWD (white pearl) for 25.3k+TTD after $500 loyalty program. Had to go with the standard financing rates though. Car was purchased mid December.

Sounds like a great deal. My 2017 Touring FWD with preferred package in sonic silver color was $23.3K + TDL, mid Dec in Houston, TX. Believe MSRP was $26.8K

Last edited:
Sale Price with Cash Back & Taxes/Fees - $29,423
Sale Price with 0% Financing & Taxes/Fees - $31,173
0% financing is an illusion. There is no such thing.
Nobody will ever lend you money at 0%. Not banks, lenders or car dealers.
Why would anyone give you money for nothing? I wouldn't, and neither will they.
One way or another, you are going to pay for that loan, no matter how much they sugar coat it or try to hide it with bafflegab.

In your example, the cash price is roughly $1,700 cheaper than the supposed 0% financing.
0%...Uh, no. It is costing you $1,700 to finance it. That's not 0%.

I have yet to see any dealer offer a discounted cash price, and then offer that same price on a finance plan.
If for some rare reason, or on a rare occasion, a dealer quotes the same price for cash and finance, then you haven't gotten the cash discount, and you're getting screwed (if you pay cash).
The cash price should always be lower.

At the end of the day, if you can somehow pay cash, I would do it.
If not, then do the math like you are doing, and figure out exactly what your financing options are, and then take the best (i.e. lowest interest rate) deal.

Quick update. Unfortunately, the 2017 sold. So now I've been getting 2018 quotes from a few dealerships. Here is what I have so far. All of them are Gray 2018 AWD Grand Touring cars. Some with Premium, some with not. Based upon the options below, it would make sense to get the Premium Package as it is only a $700ish difference. I can use this as leverage to negotiate a better deal on the non-premium package car. I think I'm just going to go back to all dealerships and tell them I will buy from anyone who will do $30K out the door and see what kind of deals I get and/or if one goes for it. What do you think of the options below

Option 1
No Premium Package
MSRP: $32,220
Dealer Price: $29,220
Incentives Used: $1,000 cash back, $500 loyalty
Sale Price: $28,720
11% Off MSRP

Option 2
Premium Package
MSRP: $33,615
Dealer Price: Unknown
Incentives Used: Unknown
Sale Price: $29,494
12% Off MSRP

Option 3
Premium Package
Dealer Price: Unknown
Incentives Used: Unknown
Sale Price: $30,736
9% Off MSRP

Option 4
Premium Package
Dealer Price: $31,115
Sale Price: $29,615
12% Off MSRP

I thought I'd update everyone. Just got back home after buying my wife's car. I think I got an OK deal. Details below

2018 Machine Gray Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring - No Premium
Dealer Price: $29,000
Sale Price: $27,501
15% Off MSRP

Last edited:
I thought I'd update everyone. Just got back home after buying my wife's car. I think I got an OK deal. Details below

2018 Machine Gray Mazda CX-5 AWD Grand Touring - No Premium
Dealer Price: $29,000
Sale Price: $27,501
15% Off MSRP

Based on my research this is a good price. Thanks for sharing your info and helping the next person down the line during the buying process.

0% financing is an illusion. There is no such thing.
Nobody will ever lend you money at 0%. Not banks, lenders or car dealers.
Why would anyone give you money for nothing? I wouldn't, and neither will they.
One way or another, you are going to pay for that loan, no matter how much they sugar coat it or try to hide it with bafflegab.

In your example, the cash price is roughly $1,700 cheaper than the supposed 0% financing.
0%...Uh, no. It is costing you $1,700 to finance it. That's not 0%.

I have yet to see any dealer offer a discounted cash price, and then offer that same price on a finance plan.
If for some rare reason, or on a rare occasion, a dealer quotes the same price for cash and finance, then you haven't gotten the cash discount, and you're getting screwed (if you pay cash).
The cash price should always be lower.

At the end of the day, if you can somehow pay cash, I would do it.
If not, then do the math like you are doing, and figure out exactly what your financing options are, and then take the best (i.e. lowest interest rate) deal.

I disagree. The 0% financing is not an illusion. You just have to make a choice on that or cash back.

Paying cash has its drawbacks - your $30K is no longer in the bank earning interest. So the incentive from mazda is really in place of interest you could have earned on your own money. . If that $30K is invested in 2% earning account over 5 years it gets you $3000. That same money in the market (stocks or bonds) would have a higher yield.

So taking 0% financing and letting your cash work for you in other investments is actually more lucrative then paying cash and taking the discount. It doesn't cost the consumer to finance for free, it costs Mazda.

I come out much farther ahead paying $300 month, no interest, no origination fee, no penalty for early payoff; all the while my $30k is invested. Any cashback in lieu of 0% interest is a quick feel good win, but a loss in longer term savings/investing.

Anytime you can get a loan for 0% or any percentage below the rate of inflation, take it. Make sure your money is at work like alphadog mentioned.

Back