What did you pay for your CX-5?

gotodengo

What are you folks paying for your new CX-5's, in relation to MSRP?

I assume demand is far outreaching supply at the moment, and am curious what that's doing to the price.

I ask, primarily, because I have a fairly urgent need for a new vehicle, would like it to be the CX-5, but hate the idea of paying at, or above, MSRP :)

thanks!

I picked up my CX-5 for invoice. Another dealer close to where I am is also advertising them at invoice as well....on the flip side another nearby dealer is adding adjusted market value so it pays to shop around.

I am also in the market for a cx5.... GT w/ tech pack... one dealer wanted $1k over msrp.. I said ill wait until the price goes down.. few days later i emailed him and saying i wanted to pay invoice... he emailed me back saying he cannot but can do $500 over invoice...
I am going to find a dealer until i can pay invoice... be patient and you can get a good price...
Good luck on your pruchase..

I am also in the market for a cx5.... GT w/ tech pack... one dealer wanted $1k over msrp.. I said ill wait until the price goes down.. few days later i emailed him and saying i wanted to pay invoice... he emailed me back saying he cannot but can do $500 over invoice...
I am going to find a dealer until i can pay invoice... be patient and you can get a good price...
Good luck on your pruchase..

sorry for being ignorant...but paying "invoice" is just another way of saying paying MSRP?

Same here, ordered CX-5 yesterday at exact MSRP price. According to various dealers they do not need any incentives, they sell like hot cakes anyway.

sorry for being ignorant...but paying "invoice" is just another way of saying paying MSRP?

invoice is the price the dealer pays the manufacturer for the car... on the CX-5, there is only $1k difference from the invoice and the msrp..

I had a disagreement with the dealer yesterday who tried to impose quite hefty 'prep/delivery' fee on top of MSRP despite showing me earlier Mazda's price list clearly stating that MSRP covers that.
Granted, this was the first time I'm buying new car in my life, so I wasn't sure if I'm in the right or now but I simply stated 'I agree to pay MSRP plus any state/federal imposed taxes and fees. Not a cent more'. And that's what we signed papers for.

invoice is the price the dealer pays the manufacturer for the car... on the CX-5, there is only $1k difference from the invoice and the msrp..
I assume you sell your services/products to your customers at cost as well?

If you want to pay full MSRP yourself, go ahead. Make the dealers boat payment for him. The typcial dealership does just fine selling for a few bucks over invoice. There are a number of holdbacks and volume incentives that make up the difference so they stay profitable.

Any brand new model is going to be in demand and some dealers will stick with MSRP or even add a premium if they can get away with it. I stay away from those dealers. Wait a few months for the "gotta have right now" crowd to get theirs and you'll be able to land exactly the CX5 of your dreams for a lot less than MSRP. Patience.

I doubt dealer would sell a car without profit.. the invoice prices are not exact numbers and they also get incentives for selling cars..like dealer hold backs..

The American system is interesting. What is MSRP? Why does the price vary from that?

System down here in Australia is slightly different I think. The retail price has to be all inclusive by law. This means car + delivery + dealer costs + compulsory insurance + registration + tax.

It's referred to as the drive away price, because you can guarantee that you can walk in, put that amount on the table (no more) and walk away with a full year of registration and compulsory insurance.

With that price as the upper limit, we normally bring dealers down a bit.

The CX-5 is almost non negotiable though. $1000 at best.

That said, if you noted our prices - you probably would be shocked and fall off your seat.
We're jealous of US pricing.

http://www.mazda.com.au/vehicles/cx-5/pricing

Given that we haven't had a recession (last one was 1987 down here) and economy is going gangbusters, the Australian dollar has been very strong - so it should give us very good buying power. Not so in reality.

Bottom model (2WD, Petrol) - $31,478 driveway in my state
Top model (AWD, Diesel, Tech Pack, GT) - $52,716 driveaway in my state

Basically the dollar is effectively identical to USD for the purposes of this illustration.

Any brand new model is going to be in demand and some dealers will stick with MSRP or even add a premium if they can get away with it. I stay away from those dealers. Wait a few months for the "gotta have right now" crowd to get theirs and you'll be able to land exactly the CX5 of your dreams for a lot less than MSRP. Patience.
I'd love to wait but I can't. I need second car right now and lucky me, we've chosen CX-5. Bad timing but my other car did not ask when to die :-(

The American system is interesting. What is MSRP? Why does the price vary from that?

System down here in Australia is slightly different I think. The retail price has to be all inclusive by law. This means car + delivery + dealer costs + compulsory insurance + registration + tax.
MSRP is manufacturer suggested retail price. Dealer can set it's own price however he pleases to. On top of that you pay sales tax (where aplicable) and title/registration fees. That's all good. What pissed me off yesterday is that the dealer tried to hit me with almost $1000 of different fees (like prep/detailing fee or fuel surcharge, as Mazda apparently forces them to deliver car with full tank) nobody cared to mention up to the point when we started signing papers. I almost walked away at that point.

I'd love to wait but I can't. I need second car right now and lucky me, we've chosen CX-5. Bad timing but my other car did not ask when to die :-(

Kornik - I know where you're coming from. I'm in the same shoes as you are! :p

MSRP is manufacturer suggested retail price. Dealer can set it's own price however he pleases to. On top of that you pay sales tax (where aplicable) and title/registration fees. That's all good. What pissed me off yesterday is that the dealer tried to hit me with almost $1000 of different fees (like prep/detailing fee or fuel surcharge, as Mazda apparently forces them to deliver car with full tank) nobody cared to mention up to the point when we started signing papers. I almost walked away at that point.

We've ordered but only put down a small deposit. I'm having those exact worries when I actually have to do my payment on delivery...managed to get $500 off MSRP...and when I had spoken to the sales guy...i specifically said...so...MSRP - $500 = FINAL PRICE..no additional fees or costs...only have to add sales tax which is unavoidable...and he said yes. I hope he stays true to his word.

We've ordered but only put down a small deposit. I'm having those exact worries when I actually have to do my payment on delivery...managed to get $500 off MSRP...and when I had spoken to the sales guy...i specifically said...so...MSRP - $500 = FINAL PRICE..no additional fees or costs...only have to add sales tax which is unavoidable...and he said yes. I hope he stays true to his word.
I asked to see the numbers before I put the deposit. Well... within last 3 days it turned out that I can have:
- either the color I want (metro gray) in touring trim but with moonroof package (for hefty additional charge of course)
- or just touring but in color I don't want (silver)
- or the touring in metro gray but for additional $250 delivery fee
- or if I insist on the metro gray touring for the price we agreed on it'll be delivered sometime within next 6 weeks (contrary to Saturday's statement 'by the end of next week)
I kindly asked today to get my deposit back.

Kornik - sorry to hear about your terrible experience =(

Hopefully I don't end up in the same predicament...so are you headed off to another dealer i'm assuming?

Hey all!

I too am looking to buy a CX-5. For the NY folks out there who are or have put orders in - can you give me the dealership you are going to? Or, for those who plan to order perhaps we can work out some kind of 2 for 1 deal thereby making it more enticing for the dealer to take a lower or price at invoice deal. I'm looking to get GT with Tech package and some added options (remote start/backup sensor/ etc). I don't mind waiting 1-3 months if necessary so long as I get the options I want.

LMK!

Hey all!

I too am looking to buy a CX-5. For the NY folks out there who are or have put orders in - can you give me the dealership you are going to? Or, for those who plan to order perhaps we can work out some kind of 2 for 1 deal thereby making it more enticing for the dealer to take a lower or price at invoice deal. I'm looking to get GT with Tech package and some added options (remote start/backup sensor/ etc). I don't mind waiting 1-3 months if necessary so long as I get the options I want.

LMK!

JTNY - just sent you a PM, let me know!

Latest posts

Back